Thread: Auto Resolve

Default Auto Resolve

I hate it every time I have to fight EVERY SINGLE battle on the campaign map on a medium campaign. If I don't fight the battle, the outcome of the battle usually turns our horrible and I either lose, or half my army is destroyed. I think it would be better if the campaign forces you to fight every single battle your faction leader is in, while other generals are always at an auto result with reliable and fair outcomes.

It would also be more realistic if the turns would be cut in half... again in MTW2.
    This would seem like the faction leader lives longer and instead the player will concetrate on campaigns and battles rather than building cities since buildings will take over ten turns making it easier to manage cities. With the turns being so short, money/workers/materials should determine when a building is done, in haste or in patience.
    Last edited by Fabolous; March 02, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Quote Originally Posted by Acamas
    Opps. This should be in MTW2 discussion.
    And thus I work my magic

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

I know what you mean. In RTW I remember besieging an admittedly large German minor city. The enemy had just been shattered and had a handful of units. I had an army of urban cohorts and other arse-kickers. I saved it, then just decided to auto-resolve. A crushing defeat. Must be some mistake? Reload, and... another crushing defeat. Then I fight the battle personally and totally annihilate the Germans, taking very few casualties indeed. What's going on with that then?

i find thats only the case with stone wall cities and naval battles

i would like to see less of the smaller battles and more larger ones, this could be done with some minor alteration to the enermy A.I so they stack there troops more

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea
    I know what you mean. In RTW I remember besieging an admittedly large German minor city. The enemy had just been shattered and had a handful of units. I had an army of urban cohorts and other arse-kickers. I saved it, then just decided to auto-resolve. A crushing defeat. Must be some mistake? Reload, and... another crushing defeat. Then I fight the battle personally and totally annihilate the Germans, taking very few casualties indeed. What's going on with that then?
    If you try to fight hoplites with cavalry on autoresolve you always lose, despite the fact that it's often very easy to do for the loss of only a very few men... Hopefully the MTW2 one will make more sense.

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

I think you guys meant Auto-Resolve in vanilla RTW, in that case I agree, its too much. This is due to the sucky AI in battle mode and the fact Rome's units is 2X better than all the other units, so if you fought it personally you're pretty much going to win. However if you download a more challenging mod like SPQR, the Auto-Resolve makes sense, since battles are much harder in that, when you fight it your self or choose to auto-resolve you lose about the same amount of men. So my tip to you right now is, get SPQR

As for M2TW, I think they need to work on more advanced Auto-Resolve, like one where the system learns from the player. Say your amazing at killing phalanxes with cavary, but you suck with infintry, when you auto-resolve with you having a cavary heavy army and the enemy have a phalanx heavy army you should win and lose few men, but when you auto-resolve with having a infintry heavy army you should lose a lot of infintry.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Drunken's Avatar Semisalis

in RTW auto-resolve did often result in a defeat, and your general dieing. I suppose its down to AI, which should be fixed in MTW2
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings"

So my tip to you right now is, get SPQR
    Yes, I do have it. The auto resolve is usually the same outcome most of the times. I lost 4 huge battles already in that game and only gained one territory and lost another. Tough. There should be huge battles in MTW2 but less often unlike RTW or SPQR, it should be up to you if you want a lot of battles.