Thread: revolutionary game?

Default revolutionary game?

is this game going to be a great improvement? or just some slacker version of RTW? If it become some slacker version with no greater depth to the game play; please try not to give it much credit.... sick of people praising crap, then getting more crap in return...

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

I'm guessing it will be sort of an "okay" improvement.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

The only improvement I see so far is 21 factions.

No eras....

1088 - 15?? - without eras you wont get past the 1300s.....

Unless the AI is a HUGE improvement and they add eras I dont see anyone getting anywhere near the renaissance. I can tell you now, i have no conifdence in them programming an AI. I'm hoping this game gives me that confidence back.

We have to wait and see. I think RTW was their slacker game, and this is what they were really working on and putting all their effort in. Though something like no eras in a game with this many years involved makes me question them. Even in MTW1 if you started at early you usually will win WELL before the game ends due to time.

The one thing I am tired of in TW games which is lack of factions and too much "grey area" is hopefully fixed with all these factions. HOPEFULLY that and a new and HIGHLY improved AI will make the game.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

you people are sooo full of it.. dont tell me that you will not buy this game even if it is a "slacker version of RTW" everyone seems to be able to pour crap all over CA and games they produce and yet everyone spends countless hours playing them. Even from the screens/features you can tell that it will be at least fun to play if nothing more

They already said the game wont take forever it will take about 225 turns untill the end game. Thats straight from the hores mouth.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

No, CA has admitted to this not being a revolutionary game.

To quote PC Gamer:

"CA is always working on two games at once, a revolutionary game and an evolutionary game. In MTW and RTW, MTW was the evolutionary and RTW was the revolutionary. In MTW2 and ___, MTW2 is the evolutionary and ____ is the revolutionary."

So my guess is CA England is working on a new game right now, with a new engine and such. But she's a long, long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by comrade55
    you people are sooo full of it.. dont tell me that you will not buy this game even if it is a "slacker version of RTW" everyone seems to be able to pour crap all over CA and games they produce and yet everyone spends countless hours playing them. Even from the screens/features you can tell that it will be at least fun to play if nothing more
    ... you see... games are longlived and fun to play due to interresting gameplay, challanging AI, historical accuracy, and the graphics... well graphics come last... we've seen countless games beautifully crafted on graphics side, and totally craped out cos of stupid gameplay, or useless AI.
    for ex. Fallout Tactics, mission berlin, and many more. those are very numerous during recent time.
    TW series were something revolutionary all the time, easy to mod (well... dunno, but seems like it) that's why they live so long, but it would be even better if they would listen to people on forums like this one. mods like RTR show that there is a need of a better historical accuracy, realism etc.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

"CA is always working on two games at once, a revolutionary game and an evolutionary game. In MTW and RTW, MTW was the evolutionary and RTW was the revolutionary. In MTW2 and ___, MTW2 is the evolutionary and ____ is the revolutionary."
    Maybe the new revolutionary total war is napoleonic: total war? it would make sense, people have been nagging about naval warfare since the dawn of total war, and what better era to have naval battles than in napoleonic times?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

It probably will be.

And a slacker version? Have you been seeing the same screenshots, or reading the same interviews and articles as me? I cant wait for this game, it looks and sounds so good.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

The evolution / revolution discussion is here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43748

for those who want to add to it.
    Last edited by Fabolous; March 01, 2006 at 03:21 PM.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

there certainly is a need for all things mentioned (ai, realism, historical accuracy, etc). However i think the major achievement of CA is that they provide you with a framework (often ease and flexibility of mod creation) to get all these things in as much or little detail as you may feel. at the same time they manage to provide something quite outstanding and in the class of its own ( i hope i dont sound like a cheap CA commercial) for people who have no interest in modding or time to spend on it. I find it a bit useless to bicker over inclusion of factions or units into the game as they ship it since ardent fans of historical accuracy and stounch patriots of their land can grow on the framework that CA provides and tailor the game to their nearly complete liking. Forums are excellent source of ideas, there is no denying it and CA goes extra steps to admit it. BTW, as I said, games of the Total war scope of events like Legion arena, Rise and Fall, etc. are at this point far lagging behind.

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Up until its release everyone will complain about it then once it arrives at the stores we'll all mad rush to EB and blow $50 on it. Then we'll play it for countless hours and nag about it. Just like RTW.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite
    Up until its release everyone will complain about it then once it arrives at the stores we'll all mad rush to EB and blow $50 on it. Then we'll play it for countless hours and nag about it. Just like RTW.
    Hahaha, you are right, just like what I did when BI came out - I rushed to stores and bought it when the first day it released! Anyway, I think MTW II would be another great game... just image bunch of Kight crush into infantry groups... that's cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

my point exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhead
    sick of people praising crap, then getting more crap in return...
    Sick of people whining over a great game, then keep on whining over the next game that hasen't been published yet...

Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33

To quote PC Gamer:

So my guess is CA England is working on a new game right now, with a new engine and such. But she's a long, long way off.
    so no great changes ha?
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33

To quote PC Gamer:

Indeed, quite some time away. They like to release a game every year, so assuming MTW2 gets out this year, late, its expansion will come out late 2007, then the new game we can expect late 2008. :wink:

And the two game plan is one I try and point out everywhere, it works very well.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant