Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if

Tom Crooze's Avatar Vicarius

Default What if

You died, but somebody made an exact copy of you? Same memories and such, would it still be you?

♔Goodguy1066♔'s Avatar Praeses

Default Re: What if

No... It would be someone else.
    A member of the Most Ancient, Puissant and Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers
    Secret Sig Content Box!

Both male and female walruses have tusks and have been observed using these overgrown teeth to help pull themselves out of the water.

The mustached and long-tusked walrus is most often found near the Arctic Circle, lying on the ice with hundreds of companions. These marine mammals are extremely sociable, prone to loudly bellowing and snorting at one another, but are aggressive during mating season. With wrinkled brown and pink hides, walruses are distinguished by their long white tusks, grizzly whiskers, flat flipper, and bodies full of blubber.
    Walruses use their iconic long tusks for a variety of reasons, each of which makes their lives in the Arctic a bit easier. They use them to haul their enormous bodies out of frigid waters, thus their "tooth-walking" label, and to break breathing holes into ice from below. Their tusks, which are found on both males and females, can extend to about three feet (one meter), and are, in fact, large canine teeth, which grow throughout their lives. Male walruses, or bulls, also employ their tusks aggressively to maintain territory and, during mating season, to protect their harems of females, or cows.
    The walrus' other characteristic features are equally useful. As their favorite meals, particularly shellfish, are found near the dark ocean floor, walruses use their extremely sensitive whiskers, called mustacial vibrissae, as detection devices. Their blubbery bodies allow them to live comfortably in the Arctic region—walruses are capable of slowing their heartbeats in order to withstand the polar temperatures of the surrounding waters.
    The two subspecies of walrus are divided geographically. Atlantic walruses inhabit coastal areas from northeastern Canada to Greenland, while Pacific walruses inhabit the northern seas off Russia and Alaska, migrating seasonally from their southern range in the Bering Sea—where they are found on the pack ice in winter—to the Chukchi Sea. Female Pacific walruses give birth to calves during the spring migration north.
    Only Native Americans are currently allowed to hunt walruses, as the species' survival was threatened by past overhunting. Their tusks, oil, skin, and meat were so sought after in the 18th and 19th centuries that the walrus was hunted to extinction in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and around Sable Island, off the coast of Nova Scotia.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Different soul inhabiting a different flesh puppet, so no.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Would this new you be made up of same materials as you? If not, then it really couldn't be you.
    After all, there would be corpse of you and body with identical makeup of chemical processes which made up your personality in the same time.

If, however, copy was made of materials which made up you at the moment of your death, it gets more interesting. Would it be copy rather than reboot of you?

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Considering that there is no such thing as a "you" in the first place, the answer is irrelevant. What you think is "you" is nothing but a conglomeration of your experiences. Upon death, those experiences are lost once your brain ceases activity. Upon death, the supposed "you" is revealed to be non-existent.

Christians and people of other faiths, of course, would disagree, and hence their answer would be: "it's not the same person, since your immortal soul is what makes up your person."

Two different answers based on two different world views...

Well, to be fair no one that will ever live (technically) will know what happens after death because no one has ever survived it har har... (though some claim of course)

I would like to think that at some point I could become a force in the evolution of the greater universe by propelling my only kind forward.

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post
    Would this new you be made up of same materials as you? If not, then it really couldn't be you.
    Why? Are you the same person that was born on your birthday by your mother with your name and your genes?

The materials that make up you have changed.

Tell me, how then, can we still reference "you" as "you"?

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_TvS View Post
    What you think is "you" is nothing but a conglomeration of your experiences.
    "What you think..."

How do I think if I don't exist?

Utter nonsense.

Upon death, the supposed "you" is revealed to be non-existent.
    No, it becomes non-existent. During my life, I existed.

This problem is the Ship of Theseus with a dose of "What makes you you?"

The answer, of course, is simple. I am the consciousness that thinks and says "I." I exist until the bodily functions which allow for that existence cease. Now, can those bodily functions be restarted? Absolutely. They are a function of matter and matter can be manipulated. Would it be the same flow of consciousness? If the brain is the same as it was, yes, after all the consciousness is a function of the brain.

If someone made a copy of me out of different matter it would NOT be me, because it would be the formation of an entirely new consciousness.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post

"What you think..."

How do I think if I don't exist?

Utter nonsense.

No, it becomes non-existent. During my life, I existed.
    I couldn't agree more with you. You must have misunderstood me. All I was saying was that what makes us a person, an individual, is nothing more than a conglomeration of all our experiences. These experiences are, ultimately, dependent on our brains, of course. Your experiences, and thus your person, will vanish if your brain ceases to function (as far as modern science can tell).

Of course you "existed" while you were alive. However, as a person, you were constantly changing. Every second you become a different person because your experiences accumulate. Your existence is based on a very unique perspective, a perspective only you can possess. There is no permanence in your existence. The only thing permanent is change itself--change is constant. Realizing that everything is changing, you also realize that there is no permanent "I". You exist, of course, but the way your existence is viewed is dependent on whatever is beholding of your existence. You may feel like a person due to your own subjective perspective. However, you are nothing but a complex construct of cells etc.

I couldn't agree more with you. You must have misunderstood me. All I was saying was that what makes us a person, an individual, is nothing more than a conglomeration of all our experiences. These experiences are, ultimately, dependent on our brains, of course. Your experiences, and thus your person, will vanish if your brain ceases to function (as far as modern science can tell).
    Human beings have more to us than simply our experiences. An experience is a retained percept. We have two additional faculties: The conceptual faculty, and the faculty of volition.

The only thing permanent is change itself--change is constant.
    Change presupposes that which changes. Which means: That which changes must be permanent, or there can be no change.

You may feel like a person due to your own subjective perspective. However, you are nothing but a complex construct of cells etc.
    I don't just "feel" like a person, I am a person. I am a complex construct of cells capable of recognizing reality and acting accordingly.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Human beings have more to us than simply our experiences. An experience is a retained percept. We have two additional faculties: The conceptual faculty, and the faculty of volition.

Change presupposes that which changes. Which means: That which changes must be permanent, or there can be no change.

I don't just "feel" like a person, I am a person. I am a complex construct of cells capable of recognizing reality and acting accordingly.
    Again, I completely agree with you. lol

Again, I completely agree with you. lol
    And yet you're implying, if not explicitly stating, the exact opposite of what I am.

What is meant by "You may feel like a person do to your own subjective perspective. However..."?

And yet you're implying, if not explicitly stating, the exact opposite of what I am.

What is meant by "You may feel like a person do to your own subjective perspective. However..."?
    You ARE a person. Yet you are also not a person. Both are true. The concept of person only exists because you exist. You are a person while you are alive, but cease to be upon death. "Person" is a loaded term, containing various implications which depend on your existence. One should be careful in using such terms, otherwise you will run the danger of believing in an immortal person which persists despite your biological death.

You ARE a person. Yet you are also not a person. Both are true.
    That's very clearly a contradiction, and thus false.

The concept of person only exists because you exist.
    Well, to be clear, the concept of a "person" would exist without me as long as there were another creature capable of conceptual thought that sought to identify "person."

Don't need me, in particular, for that.

But yes, the concept of "person" only exists because people exist. Further, ANY concepts exist at all only because people exist.

"Person" is a loaded term, containing various implications which depend on your existence.
    ALL terms are loaded. Everything that exists exists as a particular thing of particular properties and in a particular context, except for the universe as a whole (which DOES exist as a particular thing of particular properties, but not in a certain context.)

One should be careful in using such terms, otherwise you will run the danger of believing in an immortal person which persists despite your biological death.
    No more than I believe in an immortal keyboard once this keyboard wears out and breaks down.

That's very clearly a contradiction, and thus false.
    This time there is one thing I do disagree with, as quoted above. Practical Example: a person in Korea may call a tanned person ugly...yet a person in the United States might call a tanned person beautiful...same person, two different descriptions...a contradiction, yet still true in both ways. Same about hot and cold and other things which are perceived by us. You admitted that the concept of person depends on people's existence. Hence, there exists a certain relativity concerning this term. This is how something can exist yet also not exist--it's relative.

It's perfectly natural for people to have inbuilt preferences for race or characteristics physical or cultural so not a contradiction unless you're much higher above on the cosmic scale than mere humans.

This time there is one thing I do disagree with, as quoted above. Practical Example: a person in Korea may call a tanned person ugly...yet a person in the United States might call a tanned person beautiful...same person, two different descriptions...a contradiction, yet still true in both ways.
    No, it's not a contradiction. To say "I find that person beautiful" does not mean "EVERY person finds that person beautiful."

Same about hot and cold and other things which are perceived by us.
    And? Perceptions relay REAL information to us.

Hence, there exists a certain relativity concerning this term.
    Yeah, the relation being that in order for concepts to exist, people must exist, and in order for the concept "person" to exist, a person must identify the concept as such.

This is how something can exist yet also not exist--it's relative.
    It doesn't not exist. It DOES exist. So no, that's not a contradiction either.

No, it's not a contradiction. To say "I find that person beautiful" does not mean "EVERY person finds that person beautiful."

And? Perceptions relay REAL information to us.

Yeah, the relation being that in order for concepts to exist, people must exist, and in order for the concept "person" to exist, a person must identify the concept as such.

It doesn't not exist. It DOES exist. So no, that's not a contradiction either.
    Dude, I really don't know in how many more other ways I can explain the same thing to you. We are not really disagreeing...it's just a matter of terminology...

Dude, I really don't know in how many more other ways I can explain the same thing to you. We are not really disagreeing...it's just a matter of terminology...
    No, it's not. It's far deeper than that. It's a disagreement on concepts as such, the validity of human perception, and the nature of reality.

It's a disagreement on every fundamental idea there is.

No, it's not. It's far deeper than that. It's a disagreement on concepts as such, the validity of human perception, and the nature of reality.

It's a disagreement on every fundamental idea there is.
    Yeah, you don't see the relativity that I am seeing.

Yeah, you don't see the relativity that I am seeing.
    That's because it doesn't exist in the manner you mean it.

If you believe that the universe is "relativistic" in the sense that contradictions can exist, it means that you believe that the universe is illogical and beyond human comprehension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast