Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions", "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1.4 (20 May 2011)

Default Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions", "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1.4 (20 May 2011)

This sub mod converts the Kingdom of Italy to the new Roman Empire.

Given your arrogance, skill, and ambition you will let "L'Empereur" believe you are his minion as you reconquer Italy, the east, and eventually turn your gaze to Hispania, Gaul, and Brittania. The Roman Empire will rise again!

An Empire of Old Mod This modification is a sub mod of the larger "An Empire of Old" being developed by MiliadroPeacraft, Admiral Van Tromp, VltimaRatio and md1453; found HERE. If you like this be sure to rep them! The larger mod will include the Byzantine empire, missions, startpos modding, and other goodies. This is more straightforward and simply redefines the Kingdom of Italy as Rome and lets you take off from there. Keep track of the other mod to get the full effect.

For the Romans, you start out identical to the Kingdom of Italy with rather normal "Auxilia" units. If you survive to tech up, by the tier 3 military building you will get your first "Legionary" unit which is more powerful. At tier 4 the full array of Legionary units will be available. My preference is toward ranged combat, so I made the units excel in that regard; the Byzantine units will be melee oriented!

Note: in pictures below many of the unit cards and flags are from early development. These have been corrected--with a lot of time and effort. . . Also, the UPC below has the Roman units and renames the Kingdom of Italy to the Roman Empire.

UPDATE (20 May 2011) v1.4:
    Added Urban Cohort, Roman Sappers, Rocket launchers, and a number of ships to include rocket ships. Many colors changed to deep red where possible, to include tactical battle generals and staff.
    UPDATE (15 May 2011) v1.3: Added Vistula lancers, indiaman trade ship, swiss mercenaries, experimental howitzer, and 106 gun first rate. fixed unit card for Legionary Cohort to match unit. other small stat changes.
    UPDATE (13 May 2011) v1.2: Added a Legionary light infantry unit, the Antesignani.
    UPDATE (11 May 2011) v1.1: New area of recruitment(AoR) for many units from vanilla and some created by me. When you conquer territories you can recruit some of the local units. Unfortunately Spain and France are not AoR regions, so that will have to wait for the full mod. I made them recruitable in Switzerland for now, which is not optimal.

New Flag
    The new Roman flag is a deep red with a gold imperial eagle in the middle.

Campaign Map view

I. UNITS
    Infantry Units

Urban Cohort--Tier 5 military building
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Praetorian Guard--from tier 5 military building.

Legionary First Cohort--tier 4,5 military buildings.

Legionary Cohorts--tier 3,4,5 military buildings

Roman Sappers--tier 1-5 engineering buildings

Antesignani (Legionary Light Infantry)--tier 4,5 buildings

Legionary Riflemen--tier 2-5, with Modern Rifles tech

Velites Skirmishers--tier 3,4,5 miltary building

Classiarii (Marines)--from military shipyards tier 1,2,3.

Auxilia Elite Grenadiers--tier 4,5 military buildings.

Auxilia Grenadiers

Auxilia Line Infantry

Auxilia Light Infantry

Militia

Cavalry
    Praetorian Guard Cavalry--tier 5 military building

Legionary Cavalry--tier 4,5 military building

Armored Legionary Cavalry--tier 4,5 military buildings

Dragoons (Equites)--tier 3-5 military building

Auxilia Missile Cavalry--all military buildings

Auxilia Lancer Cavalry--tier 2-5 military buildings

Artillery
    Praetorian Guard Horse Artillery--tier 5 artillery building

Praetorian Guard Foot Artillery--tier 4,5 artillery buildings

7-lber howitzer

12-lber
    6-lber
    6-lber horse
    Roman experimental howitzer--new in v1.3
    Rockets--new in v1.4

Foreign Auxilia (recruitable in local regions)
    These are units from territories you over run; the Romans always incorporated local forces.

Circassian Mounted Swordsmen--available in former Ottoman Territories

Wallachian Boyars--former Ottoman Territories

Balkan Irregulars--in the Balkans!

French Gendarmes a cheval--Switzerland, France not AoR region until full mod

French Gendarmes a pied (militia)--Switzerland, France not AoR region until full mod

Grenzers--in the Balkans

Hungarian Fusiliers--Hungary

Hungarian Hussars--Hungary

Tatar Mounted Bowmen--Little Tatary and adjacent regions (the steppe)

Silesian Mounted Jaeger--Silesia

Polish Line Infantry--Poland

Spanish Fusiliers--Switzerland, Spain not AoR region until full mod

Spanish Tiadores--Switzerland, Spain not AoR region until full mod

Spanish Mounted Infantry--Switzerland, Spain not AoR region until full mod

Swiss Foot--Switzerland

Landesschutzen--Tyrol

Highland Foot--Scotland

Norwegian Ski Troops==Norway
    Swiss Mercenary Infantry==global in commerce/bank buildings, supply depots, and secret society buildings.
    Vistula lancers==Poland
    Cossack Lancers==the steppe regions

II. Known Issues

• None yet
    • Please give me feedback. It will help us on our progress in the full mod here.

III. Installation and running.
    Startpos Mod
    You will need a startpos mod to make the Kingdom of Italy/Roman Empire playable in the Grand Campaign. Napoleon Total Factions by husserlTW is nice: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=357320
    Extraction and Running

To install:
    Unpack the file contents of mod_md1453_rome_units_v1_4.7z into your Steam Nap Total War folder. Mine is at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\napoleon total war\data

The important part is the folder napoleon total war/data, and the new file from the 7z (7zip) should be mod_md1453_rome_units_v1_4.pack.

There are two ways to activate the mod:

1. To use the mod manager, which is by far the easiest. Mod manager here. All you have to do is extract the files, start it up and check the mods that you want to use.
    2. To manually do it, you will need to update your scripts. Mine is found at:

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts

but it can vary depending on your OS between Windows 7, Vista, and XP, and the AppData folder is hidden by default and needs to be revealed. If not already there you create a text file called user.script.txt and insert the text

mod "mod_md1453_rome_units_v1_4.pack";

and then be sure to save in unicode or it won't work.
    UPC (Unit Names)
    Napoleon total war has one file that contains all unit names, and Swiss halberdier has been kind enough to maintain the list for all mods called the UPC.

Just place the content of the UPC in your data folder. It is not in mod format so doesn't need to be added to the scripts. Also, erase the older version if you have it in there.

Please use the one given below with "Roman" at the end or else the Roman Empire will still be named the Kingdom of Italy.

The localization file given is useful if you are familiar with the system used in NTW.

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3322
    IV. Thanks to:
    An Empire of Old team:MiliadroPeacraft, Admiral Van Tromp, VltimaRatio
    ltchambers, erasmus77 for mod manager and pack file manager
    swiss halberdier for his UPC and AUM
    husserlTW for the NTF mod and modding tips

CA for a great game
    and others unnamed. . .
    Last edited by md1453; March 04, 2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: updated to 1.4

Default Re: Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions" a "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1

reserved

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions", "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1

So where are the roman units???? Why do I see napoleonic units named after legionary cohorts??? I am completely lost with this mod, did you forget to upload the correct screenshots maybe??

Default Re: Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions", "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1

I believe it is meant to be a Napoleonic era Roman Empire. Looks pretty awesome. + rep

Boycott boycotts!'

So where are the roman units???? Why do I see napoleonic units named after legionary cohorts??? I am completely lost with this mod, did you forget to upload the correct screenshots maybe??
    I believe it is meant to be a Napoleonic era Roman Empire. Looks pretty awesome. + rep
    That's it! It was a question I had: did I want Roman type units or an updated Roman empire? I realized I preferred a new Napoleonic empire and there are so many awesome variant models to choose from I just had fun with it. I have a friend who loves RTW and has no interest in ranged TW games, so this won't be in his repertoire of mods That said, we are planning on making Byzantine units more melee oriented thus a bit more traditional.

I've played a campaign and the start was very tight, and even with the legionaries it was a tough fight versus the big empires. Overall adds a new dynamic. Let me know about gameplay, balance, etc.

Default Re: Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions", "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1.3 (15 May 2011)

Added a bunch of new stuff in v1.2 and 1.3, to include area of recruitment units. I have found the two campaigns I've played to be great fun, and challenging to near the end, even with many stacks. The beginning is close; as you take Italy your northern flank is exposed. . .

Now we wait for the main mod to add more stuff like missions, starting positions, diplomacy, leader names, and much more.

Default Re: Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions", "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1.4 (20 May 2011)

VERY cool!
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

Default Re: Reditum Legionum--"The Return of the Legions", "An Empire of Old" sub mod--v1.4 (20 May 2011)

I hope that the model converter will work...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Industries View Post
    VERY cool!
    Thanks! I've had a blast with this mod, lots of units from different factions, plus some buff infantry late game. Still hard against the big boys though. . .

Quote Originally Posted by malemort View Post
    I hope that the model converter will work...
    Yeah, unfortunately the main mod seems to be neglected of late. Too bad, perhaps in the near future it will start up again.

This really is a ing amazing mod. Digging it Couple requests if they may so be called as such. Can you make a version with the SPQR old school roman flag? Also can we get a version of sappers with chestplates on all of em?

Greedy jew-ness aside. This really is a unique mod. I have no idea why it doesn't have more comments :/
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    -Andrew Ryan

This really is a ing amazing mod. Digging it Couple requests if they may so be called as such. Can you make a version with the SPQR old school roman flag? Also can we get a version of sappers with chestplates on all of em?

Greedy jew-ness aside. This really is a unique mod. I have no idea why it doesn't have more comments :/
    Yeah I can armor them all up. My original thinking was some are armored on assault and some are in support. For the flags: not sure I have the desire anymore to totally fix up the flag. Perhaps if the full mod gets underway again

My reasoning for the whole armor thing is because it really sets them apart from the other units. Hell I'd vote for armor on most units, just give them that old bad ass roman legionnaire feel (historical accuracy be damned this is ROME DAMMIT).

But yeah. Really enjoying this
    -Andrew Ryan

And if I make the very very smallest of suggestions, I would suggest to tone down the purple of the urban cohorts, they look a tad bit silly
    -Andrew Ryan

And if I make the very very smallest of suggestions, I would suggest to tone down the purple of the urban cohorts, they look a tad bit silly
    Ha ha, don't tell the old emperors about that! Everybody loved purple because it was the "royal" color back in the day. Way back. No longer obviously.

I'll definitely armor up the sappers, probably keep the cohorts purple, makes them different. If you think of a better color scheme let me know, I might give it a try. We were also going to add a bunch of armored units to the Byzantine empire as well, make them melee. That is on the back burner for now.

Keep up the suggestions, I'll implement the ones I like/can!

That'd be pretty damn cool! Hah hah very true. Ol Trajan wouldn't take too kindly to me dissing purple heh heh. Maybe tone down the color to a tone more like this?

http://www.icollector.com/images/130..._0212_1_md.jpg

Yeah, I really dig the old throwback to the throwbacks to the Old Roman Empire, all of the armor and the plumed hats XD I love the alternate history mods, there's definitely not enough of them.

Maybe Armor Up the Urban Cohorts/Praetorian Guard? I dont know if it would be possible to keep the Shakka, which looks damn cool IMO. It'd be cool to have the one imperial legion that's kept the armor of their forebearers and kept up the tradition. Plus it would keep up the throwback to the Roman Empire.

Anyway, keep up the good work, trying to get Napoleon to work right now so I can play more hah hah.
    -Andrew Ryan

That'd be pretty damn cool! Hah hah very true. Ol Trajan wouldn't take too kindly to me dissing purple heh heh. Maybe tone down the color to a tone more like this?

http://www.icollector.com/images/130..._0212_1_md.jpg

Yeah, I really dig the old throwback to the throwbacks to the Old Roman Empire, all of the armor and the plumed hats XD I love the alternate history mods, there's definitely not enough of them.

Maybe Armor Up the Urban Cohorts/Praetorian Guard? I dont know if it would be possible to keep the Shakka, which looks damn cool IMO. It'd be cool to have the one imperial legion that's kept the armor of their forebearers and kept up the tradition. Plus it would keep up the throwback to the Roman Empire.

Anyway, keep up the good work, trying to get Napoleon to work right now so I can play more hah hah.
    Yeah, that purple is WAY better. I'll give that a go first. . .

Awesome Glad I can be of service
    -Andrew Ryan

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Cool!! [downloading] which ones are better:
    Urban Cohort (like in vanilla Rome Total War, but its unrealistic)
    ot
    Preatorians? (which were "really" better (of course they didn`t exist in time) but their hobby was.. not good. Killing their own emperores )
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomanRuler View Post
    Cool!! [downloading] which ones are better:
    Urban Cohort (like in vanilla Rome Total War, but its unrealistic)
    ot
    Preatorians? (which were "really" better (of course they didn`t exist in time) but their hobby was.. not good. Killing their own emperores )
    Interesting. I made the urban cohort smaller (120) with better stats. Kind of a trade off, but I like the Praetorians better. You likely won't have to worry about these guys murdering you though if they don't agree with your policies!

I've been meaning to change the purple to a darker purple.. .

love it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast