Thread: Asia Ton Barbaron - ΑΣΙΑ ΤΩΝ ΒΑΡΒΑΡΩΝ

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Asia Ton Barbaron - ΑΣΙΑ ΤΩΝ ΒΑΡΒΑΡΩΝ | New preview on page 36

Fantastic preview chaps! It'll take me a while to read through this

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Great job, keep it up. I've been waiting for ATB since always, it's good to see the project is kicking.

Under the patronage of m_1512

beos777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    Great job, keep it up. I've been waiting for ATB since always, it's good to see the project is kicking.
    And we will continue like this. If we find more members though!

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Great stuff! Amazing preview! Lots of background info! Impressive! Keep it up guys!
    RTWRM - back to basics

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Great work!!

Will there also be armoured horse archers and some sort of late-period cataphracts?

Quote Originally Posted by aqd View Post
    Great work!!

Will there also be armoured horse archers and some sort of late-period cataphracts?
    Well most of the reforms of the Armenian army happened during Tigranes the great reign. As you can see the mod time frame ends at 100 bc. So we propably we will rethink if we are going to make reforms for the armenian army.

jirisys's Avatar Senator

(Not so) FAQ from our first preview

After asking ourselves what questions you might ask us about the preview, we devised a little section for your (not so) Frequently Asked Questions; hopefully solving any doubts you had in your mind while reading (or skimming through) the preview.

Question: Are you going on hiatus after this preview?
    Answer: Not at all; we, in fact, have another preview being baked in the oven, and another one a raw mass of flour, so we won't be going on hiatus any time soon. We will show screenshots of units, the map, the UI, the music (yes, the music), and so on; but we will also try to work on other less visible aspects, like scripting and coding.

Question: Are each the previews going to take a year to be posted again?
    Answer: Not for the next few previews. We have learned our lesson with this preview and we will shorten it out so that we are able to post preview much quicker. There's also the fact that we are a really short team, and some of us *cough* mostly me *cough* end up with more tasks than it is possible to handle alone, much less in short time.

Question: Are these future previews going to be exceedingly short and with no substance?
    Answer: Not at all; but we will refrain from incorporating certain sections and shortening others so we are able to deliver enough in a decent amount of time, nobody wants to wait a whole year for a faction preview anyways.

Question: So does this mean that you will blitz us with previews in a short while before ultimately running out of fuel?
    Answer: We don't have enough preview artillery to effectively execute a blitz (unless you're referring to the other blitz). We are well aware of this problem, and we will pace ourselves so we don't simply exhaust ourselves and fall right back into a long hiatus period where we can only work on internal things (mapping, scripts, characters, etc.). We will work on some of these things while we're preparing each preview, and might even space it out intentionally if needed.

Question: I noticed that in the descriptions you spoke of scale horse armour and iron plates on their heads, but I see none of that in the renders; how come? Also, the horses are ugly!
    Answer: Well, yes; sadly we had to use the original Medieval 2 horse models, since we haven't really made our own horses yet, and our member in charge of making the renders didn't want to complicate everything even more by having to work with Marka horse skeletons from Rusichi TW, we didn't use those horses. As for the question of the lack of horse barding; it's preferable to have unarmoured horses as placeholder, than horses with Medieval European/Middle Eastern barding instead.

Question: Where did you get that map in the first part of the preview? It looks great! But I thought the map would be larger!
    Answer: We made it. Using our own working map, we simply used a technique that TWC user _Capper_ posted in this thread, so this is a very good representation of how the map looks in-game. As to why the map is so tiny compared to what we promised, it's because we cropped it from all sides but the left; in order to avoid showing too much of it .

Question: That map still looks pretty small even when cropped. How big is the map actually?
    Answer: 1001x627 pixels; and if you have a mapping background, you will realise that this is the widest any map can be in the game, so the map is very large, but so is the area covered, that's why it looks so small in comparison.

Question: Why did you go with those weird and unpronounceable native names instead of the English ones? Is this just a move to be an EB copycat?
    Answer: Come on, it's not that hard to pronounce a simple unit name like "Kordu Learhnayin Netadzigk'", is it now?. Well, their names are in English as well, and you don't need to learn how to pronounce classical Armenian. We mostly did it because we were once a submod of EB (our first thread is allocated in their submod subforum), so we all got used to (and liked) how EB handles unit names. But once it becomes too complicated to name units in their own languages (Tocharian, Sarmatian, etc.), we might have to resort to name them in Greek.

Question: When will the next preview be posted? And what faction will you preview?
    Answer: We don't know, and you won't know; respectively. But I guess you want more than that, so I can assure you that the preview will not be posted before May, and as soon as the faction symbol is revealed, you can start using your one official guess to predict the faction that we are previewing, but more details will be posted along with the symbol later.

Question: Please tell us what the next faction is going to be.
    Answer: That's not a question.

Question: Please? Pretty please?
    Answer: Fine. It's the Iceni.

That concludes our little FAQ for this preview. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them in the thread and we will do our best to answer them promptly. Thank you for the overwhelmingly good feedback from the community, and we will do our best to show you more and more work as we move forward with the development process.

~Jirisys ()
    Last edited by jirisys; February 28, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Signature
    Because we all need to compensate...

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Great preview, indeed!

Ixor_Drakar's Avatar Senator

Dear god don't mention the Iceni! Amazing preview, great work everyone.
    I survived the Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Re: Asia Ton Barbaron - ΑΣΙΑ ΤΩΝ ΒΑΡΒΑΡΩΝ

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    Wha? How? Huh? Who are you?

~Jirisys ()
    I mean "I would love to see how the campaign map looks in a preview", not that I saw it and loved it.

Thank you guys for going with native, unpronounceable names. I honestly am not one of those guys who literally pronounce every name I read out loud so it always sounds right in my head when I pronounce words (in my head). Anyway... thanks. Native latinized names just look better.
    Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; March 02, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Great!

Indefinitely Banned

Retarded Rooster has advertised Asia Ton Barbaron (second section of the video )...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsV3yygES4
    All hail Asia ton Barbaron! Your latest Hayasdan preview was just astonishing!!!
    Last edited by Cvetko; March 04, 2013 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvetko View Post
    Retarded Rooster has advertised Asia Ton Barbaron (second section of the video )...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsV3yygES4
    All hail Asia ton Barbaron! Your latest Hayasdan preview was just astonishing!!!
    Hahahaahaha. Cvetko you are a god!!! haaha. we love you man!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Preview of the highest quality, congrats guys!!

Indefinitely Banned

LOL indeed it is ASIA TON BARBAAROON HAIRE HAIRE ASIA TON BARBARON ASIA! ASIA! HAIRE HAYASDAN KAI TA ARHE SELEEUKEUA

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beos777 View Post
    Hahahaahaha. Cvetko you are a god!!! haaha. we love you man!
    "Cvetko's looking at you, kid" (thats what it says if you mouse over my reputation)

HAIRE ATB!!!

jirisys's Avatar Senator

He made a shoutout but he removed the links. That doesn't help much.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature
    Because we all need to compensate...

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

More ΛΙΝΟΘΩΡΑΚΕΣ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AtB.png  
    Last edited by Alkimachos; March 09, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Brilliant, κῦδοςPerhaps Λινοθωρακες εν δραση linothorax in action
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; March 12, 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great!!