Thread: Texture Editing Alternatives

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Default Texture Editing Alternatives

I thought I would give the Angles in my campaign slightly more colourful shields to match the shields of my Romano Britons so added a little bit of colour. It's nice to see a variation of shield colours clashing in a battle. I just coloured those of the Angon Throwers as well as those of the Fres Uthere and it makes the battles with the Angli a little more visually interesting.

Found Here:
    IB2 CONQVESTVS BRITANNIAE DOWNLOADS
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If you you want them in your game, just drop these edited textures into the texture file of the Germanics and replace the originals. It's advisable to copy and paste the originals to another file before you replace them, in case you decide don't like these.
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Default Re: Angli shields

[QUOTE=caratacus;9532339]I thought I would give the Angles in my campaign slightly more colourful shields to match the shields of my Romano Britons so added a little bit of colour. It's nice to see a variation of shield colours clashing in a battle. I just coloured those of the Angon Throwers as well as those of the Fres Uthere and it makes the battles with the Angli a little more visually interesting.

If you you want them in your game, just drop these edited textures into the texture file of the Germanics and replace the originals. It's advisable to copy and paste the originals to another file before you replace them, in case you decide don't like these.

Nice shields..They have still that nice wooden look to them
    -I have a policy though though for no loose patches on the forums. Gets too messy..I may put your post with the link iin the DL threads as an alternative dl though or even better possibly midnite can add it in if he has the time..I let it stay until midnite see this thread.
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    I thought I would give the Angles in my campaign slightly more colourful shields to match the shields of my Romano Britons so added a little bit of colour. It's nice to see a variation of shield colours clashing in a battle. I just coloured those of the Angon Throwers as well as those of the Fres Uthere and it makes the battles with the Angli a little more visually interesting.

Actually my intention was to give the "barbarian" shields a worn, faded look and so the shield colors and designs were intentionally drawn with the current "used" look.

There is no reason why you could not release the shields as a submod so fans could choose which look they prefer.
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Actually my intention was to give the "barbarian" shields a worn, faded look and so the shield colors and designs were intentionally drawn with the current "used" look.

There is no reason why you could not release the shields as a submod so fans could choose which look they prefer.
    They are your shields midnite? Just want to properly credited it
    - I'll post it in the DL thread as an alternative

Well it's not a mod really, I gave the shields of the Angli a splash of colour for my own campaign and wondered whether anyone would like to share in playing the Beta. Didn't think I would need to give accreditation for something that slight which I wasn't claiming I'd done , but anyhow, yes put it where you want. I would state though that the Angles and Saxons were not Christian, they certainly were not primitive barbarians and given their elaborate artwork and jewelry, I would think that their shield designs would probably have been every bit as well designed as those of the peoples of Britain at the time. so it would be nice to see them revamped eventually . Although the shield model would also need to be rebalanced, as colouring shows the hand merging.
    Last edited by caratacus; May 09, 2011 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Well it's not a mod really, I gave the shields of the Angli a splash of colour for my own campaign and wondered whether anyone would like to share in playing the Beta. Didn't think I would need to give accreditation for something that slight which I wasn't claiming I'd done , but anyhow, yes put it where you want. I would state though that the Angles and Saxons were not Christian, they certainly were not primitive barbarians and given their elaborate artwork and jewelry, I would think that their shield designs would probably have been every bit as well designed as those of the peoples of Britain at the time. so it would be nice to see them revamped eventually
    Well we thank ya caratacus..I'll find a spot. Maybe a stickied thread for such things

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Well we thank ya caratacus..I'll find a spot. Maybe a stickied thread for such things
    -Put your shield links as an alternate DL in the Downloads Thread

Slightly edited the Title
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Default Re: Texture Editing Alternatives

I've been very busy of late in real life! but when I have any spare time, I play a couple of turns on my campaign with the Romano Britons and do little texture editing. At the moment I'm updating the Anglii shields download as I thought that a Germanic symbol on a black shield looked better than just the blue one. I am also doing a bit of a touch up by taking out the texture marks which were part of the design for the Saxon shield (I think) which the texture uses and better placed the shield boss on the blue dragon design. I'll ask Rio to update the download link when I've finished. I've already incorporated the metal shield frame missing on the original texture. The symbol is an Anglo Saxon Rune character for (ing) or (ng) and equates with an expression for hero!. Also is anyone else doing any editing it would be great to see your efforts and may help out Midnite when he comes to update the mod.

I've completed editing this texture now and I'll ask Rio to replace the link on the download page for the previous version, with this one. http://www.gamefront.com/files/20426...y+Infantry.rar
    I have also edited the shields of the Venedotian Heavy Spearmen and changed the ghastly green of their cavalry's horse blankets to more suitable plaid ones.The horse was very common on early Celtic coins of the first century AD and its symbolism may have been important until much later. Does anyone know why the horse was so common , what did it symbolise? I think it relates to a astrological constellation.

Here is a download link for the Venedotian textures and will also ask Rio if it might be possible to include one on the download page in case anyone wants to use them in their game. http://www.gamefront.com/files/20396...a+textures.rar
    Last edited by caratacus; June 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: Texture Editing Alternatives

I've just finished editing the Saxon Heavy Spear for the Angles and include a link here for the download.
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20450...d+textures.rar
    Those who downloaded the previous texture for the Heavy Infantry should also download this file as it also includes the file which will remove the ghost textures which appear on their shield. It will require editing so read the instructions carefully.
    Last edited by caratacus; June 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM.