Thread: Dave Retirement Thread

Default Dave Retirement Thread

I am very sorry to announce that I am leaving the hotseat community from today. Over the past month I had been considering retirement and told those close to me that I wanted to finish a few of my hotseats and leave. I already pulled out of some hotseats last month and stepped down as admin from a few cutting down my level of involvement here. This was because I was starting to find being in this hotseat community less and less enjoyable. I tried my best to enjoy the last few hotseats I was in however. My hotseats were always well run and very fair I thought. If hotseat rules were broken they were dealt with sensibly and I never broke any hotseat rules myself which I expected others to follow.

However over the last few days my integrity has been openly challenged and I have been accused of many things including using massive exploits. Most of which are untrue and my accuser it seems has tried to accuse me of as many things as possible. I do not wish to go into detail in this thread and turn my retirement thread into another place for arguements over rules however. All I will say is that I think this was a grey area and me and the player accusing me had different opinions on this. I was then accused of not being able to accept other peoples opinions when I thought my own opinion may be right? I was accused of using the garrison script unfairly which was completely untrue but recieved no apology for this accusation whatsoever. Did I lose my temper over being accused of being a cheat? sure did. And that is regretful but this whole episode has left me feeling really miserable. And yesterday this hotseat forum sank to an all new low when a forum member started calling me lame in another thread. I asked him to remove the comment to which he refused and I got angry. This player then posted my private message in my hotseat thread in a clear attempt to discredit me. Private messages should never be used in this way. He has since apologised but failed to edit his post leaving my private message there for all to see. Why so much hate? this is only a game and I am shocked when all of these accusations and flinging is thrown against me.

I went out to celebrate my birthday last night with friends and had a good time but I could not get all of this out of my head. Was what I did in this hotseat really worth all of this agro? I tried to explain why I made the move I did in the hotseat thread and all I am being faced with is Exploit! Exploit! Explot! There is no middle ground either I accept the opinion of my accuser or I am condemned for being childish. My love for Total War games and my passion for them however still remain but I really do think that I am better away from this place. Many people here will no doubt accuse me of being selfish and acting in a childish way. But if thats how you choose to see it then thats okay

I wish now to say goodbye to all my hotseat friends before leaving. It has been a pleasure playing with some of you and I hope you have enjoyed not just playing with me but also found my mod to be enjoyable. Man Grouchy13 its been so much fun playing NTW with you away from this forum. Grislok dude when you left I was so sad, hope we play online together again one day. Incontinenta Buttox I've known him since the early days of my mod he is a true gentleman and a pleasure to play with. Timur the Lame perhaps the nicest guy in this community and really sensible for his young age Slaists a friend of Grisloks and a friend of mine too. Stylix and Magefsx both moderators in my mod forum, thanks for joining in. Tonno I love this guy he is so freaking funny. He is definately an 8! Invicta often misunderstood and gets into too many debates but a really nice guy underneath. Visorslash always getting into trouble but loveable for some reason C.Mencey my spanish friend. There have been some good times and its not all been bad. Please stay in touch with me on this forum.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; May 08, 2011 at 05:20 AM.

Praeses

Default Re: Dave Retirement Thread

Waaaah.

Y'know, whisper..... (I'll send it via PM, some people might take offense. )

Protector Domesticus

Too bad Dave. You were the best man here.

I hope all these people who've departed return eventually. I think the siren call of hotseating is too alluring to give it up altogether, now that you know it's there.

But there seems to be something about hotseating, at least on .net (can't speak for .org) that, shall we say, incites emotions. I think everyone here has behaved like an at least once, and we've seen it get out of hand time after time. Is it the months-long commitment that makes people more vested in it? The fact that when you lose you can't actively do anything about it? The fact that you really need to trust other people, and that constant suspicion of your game-mates erodes goodwill?

Who knows.
    Last edited by Mordrorru; May 08, 2011 at 05:54 AM.

Tonno's Avatar Protector Domesticus

(ooo look I am mentiond in the first post...how sexy... )

After the resignation of EN... I hoped this topic will never be made...althought I started to make contact with u just in last few months.
    I realy realy loved your posts,soo official and yet soo cool...your HS where (and they still are) damn cool,I allways hoped I will get one invitation so I can prove my ass,and guess what, I got one...To join a HS called "Proveig Grounds" .
    And then I knew u are just pure 8ness!...

Well I hope u will enjoy the upcoming days of your life...
    "For after the their baptism the Croats made a covenant, confirmed with their own hands and by oaths sure and binding in the name of St. Peter the apostle, that never would they go upon foreign country and make war on it, but rather would live at peace with all who where wiling to do so; and they recived from the same pope of Rome a benediction on this effect, that if any other foreigners should come against the country of these same Croats and bring war upon it, then might God fight for the Croats and protect them, and Peter the disciple of Christ give them victories."
    Constantine Porphyrogenitus >>De Administrando Imperio<<

Desley's Avatar Praefectus

Is this the new hype? All quitting hotseats one after another? It reminds me of a few years back when all these celebrities started to die a week after eachother..

Anyways Goodluck Dave!
    Will and act until victory

Archraze's Avatar Biarchus

Even though I barely knew you and probabley never did a hotseat with you your leaving is still a masive blow to this hotseat community.
    I think that you were prehaps one of the most valable people in the community along with Swarbs, Goro etc (makes me relise what a pitiful part I play in this community)

Sad to see you and so many good other players go.
    Last edited by Archraze; May 08, 2011 at 06:06 AM.

I hoped you would have changed idea.
    Your HS was the one I was most enjoying, with the excellent set of rules you made.

Goodluck
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

Oh Dave, it is not everyday we have an Artifex here playing hotseats with us. You will be missed, your RP, your help to the community by making the patch, your hotseats. Sad to see you go from this part of the forum; but hey I'll at least still see you around.

Best of Lucks.

Jiub's Avatar Praepositus

I'm really saddened to see Dave come to this conclusion, and I'm really sad that such debates even exist. There should always be a middle ground, and as Dave said that middle ground should always be sought in arguments.

Dave, your departure, now coupled with IB's, Grislok's and others leaving here, and with all this cloud of hate is really taking all the fun out of my hotseats here. Seeing so many good players go really makes me wanna just dump this joint and leave for greener pastures... I won't do that thou. There's still Timur, Izob, Core, Vasilefs, Tavix, Ionehoe and other players ( oh Desley you've been giving me heartakes) I enjoy to play with and against and I will keep playing with them and enjoy this wonderful game.

Hopefully you too, as well as the others that departed here because of all the tension will decide to return and play just one or two hotseats between ourselves and hopefully that way we can have less tension and more fun together.

Cheers Dave!

[Celtíbero]Mencey's Avatar Campidoctor

I just hope you reconsider and keep playing with us. Thanks anyway for the good times and your patch effort
    Spanish Medieval II TotalWar Hotseat Site: http://hmtw2.foroactivo.com/

Hi, we only spoke once but I also hope you reconsider. There seem to be a real mix of people here, but many are the perfect combo of lighthearted in manner, yet serious in-game. If you think a change of milieu might help I'd glad face you on the battlefield

Timur_the_Lame's Avatar Praepositus

I really hope you change your mind dave . Its been a pleasure playing with you also. It would be really cool if you just continued to play in Proving Grounds or something...or not quit at all . You will be missed man.

Loose Cannon's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I've got to add my voice to the chorus of "Don't go"s-"Please change your mind" that is echoing around here. If leaving is your final decision I respect that but I'd wish you reconsider. I hate losing someone as good and fair-minded as you are, Dave.
    Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance-David Mamet

Old age and forgetfullness makes it . . .er, I forgot-Loose Cannon

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Your decision lovely playing with ya.

Kinda weird how all the quitters quit for the exact same reasons(unfun then someone accuses them of cheaing exploiting)

Quote Originally Posted by Desley View Post
    Is this the new hype? All quitting hotseats one after another? It reminds me of a few years back when all these celebrities started to die a week after eachother..
    I am sorry to add to the list of players who left this hotseat community. But everyone will move on eventually when it is the right time for them to go. My time has sadly come.

Quote Originally Posted by Timur_the_Lame View Post
    I really hope you change your mind dave . Its been a pleasure playing with you also. It would be really cool if you just continued to play in Proving Grounds or something...or not quit at all . You will be missed man.
    Believe me mate I did consider this and at first did only pull out of 2 hotseats. Then things got worse and I decided to pull myself out of here completely. I believe it best to get this out of my system and move on now. Whether I play in a hotseat again I dont know for certain. But I will not be returning here to play.

Thank you for your support guys, I am still here on the forum and have passed on all my passwords. I am also trying to find players to replace myself as I wish my leaving to cause you as little disruption as possible. I wish you all well in the hotseats I left for you.

regards,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; May 08, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

So sad. Sorry Dave. I never felt better than playing in one of your hotseats...knowing it would be fair and policed well. Noone accused me of cheating when I left, but it had become not fun. If I was unable to install MTW2, I am not sure I would not have already come back, tail betwixt me legs, because it has been the coolest part of what will be 30 years of pc gaming next year, what with the fusion of this great game and social networking on a worldwide web. I loved being able to talk to like-minded gamers from all over the world. I chose to get a degree in Latin American geography after all(Cook for a living ). If I ever did come back, I am convinced it would have to be in a well-policed, or all known and trusted acquaintances situation and with not too many players....maybe 6 tops. Perhaps we will get the band back together some day.

Protector Domesticus

It'd be a real shame if you were leaving on account of one individual. Though I can understand how the departure of other hotseaters can add in to that.
    Last edited by Mordrorru; May 08, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

Dave, it seems like whenever we join up on something we get split up again! I really appreciate you inviting me to participate in one of your hot seat campaigns and I have enjoyed it greatly. I hope that you will find happiness and enjoyment in your next venture. You will be missed!

May you have great fortune in the future,
    Stylix
    MOS v1.6.2+ Bug fixer 30 Dec 2013

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrorru View Post
    It'd be a real shame if you were leaving on account of one (or more) individuals. Though I can understand how the departure of other hotseaters can add in to that.
    Yeah like Mord has said, dont let the game or personaly vandettas get under your skin. This isnt a goodbye, I'm sure we will meet again in another game.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.