Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: RS II: Questions & Answers

Default RS II: Questions & Answers

This thread is an attempt to answer common questions without having to search through the whole forum.
    If you have any question/answer that you think should be added, or comments, please feel free to post it.
    Some answers come from posts by members in the forum, although they are sometimes edited. Thank you for making my life easier.

What is Roma Surrectum II?
    Roma Surrectum II (RSII for short) is a mod set during the second Punic war. The map goes from the western end of Europe to modern Iran in the east; and from Scandinavia to North Africa. Improvements include a new economic system with hundreds of new buildings, an accurate and graphically improved campaign map, massively upgraded battlefield environments with more realistic custom-built vegetation, new factions, 28 unique Roman legions, and over 500 highly detailed and more historically accurate units.

What is the current version of RSII? Where can I download it?
    The latest version is RS2.1a.
    Download link and instructions are here.

Do I need BI or Alex for this mod?
    RSII works with every exe : RTW, BI and Alex, you don't have to worry about that.
    However, RTW needs to be patched to 1.5, BI to 1.6 and Alex to 1.9.

Which exe is better, what are the differences?
    With RTW BI you get units that can swim and the shield wall ability. Also the AI tend to do more naval invasions. There were naval invasions with RTW but these were quite rare.
    With RTW Alex you don't get these (swim / shieldwall) but the AI is supposedly better (in the battlefield, as well as retraining units if it can) and they can still do naval invasions. Some issues with memory leaks are supposedly fixed.
    RTW is sufficient for RSII, but if you have BI or Alex, use them.

Important threads to read.
    This thread is composed of links to important threads, as well as player/faction guides and AOR map.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=390419

Does RSII works with Steam?
    Yes it does, see the release thread for further details on how to install it.

Why are the hastati/principes merged?
    "When the dust from the Second Punic Wars had settled, the Romans faced a dilemma on their hands. The extensive war had all but drained the City of its able-bodied men who can still serve in the legions. Farming had been neglected in favor of war and the Roman economy plummeted. The monetary requirements established by Marcus Furius Camillus for those wishing to enlist in the Roman legion was largely ignored by the end of the Second Punic Wars due to the eroding of a middle class in Rome. Thus, those who used to qualify as Principes fell to Hastati status. The destruction of the middle class meant that the Roman legion could no longer be divided based upon economic standing and instead must rely upon fighting skill. Due to the need to press those who previously were unable to afford to serve in the military, the State began to provide armor and weapons to her soldiers, further blurring the lines between Hastati and Principes until the two units existed only in name. This became known as the Polybian system and the concepts that came from this particular system would become driving forces behind the Marian reforms."

It is a 'heavily interpreted conclusion' based on what Polybius said about the Battle of Cannae (the use of cohorts vs. maniples), and the known fact that the formation was used in Spain during the 2nd Punic War.
    The fact is that the Hastati and Principe ARE both present (if you click on them during battle, they will identify themselves as one or the other randomly). It's just the formation that is cohort based. Polybius mentions that this was done to present a more unified front to the enemy at Cannae...presumably to frighten or bother the Carthaginians more. Obviously, that didn't work out too well for Rome at that time. But Scipio used it in Spain to advantage. So we admit there is little evidence concerning this....then again, there is little against it as well. The 2nd Punic War was a time of military transition for the Romans, that much is known for sure.

I don't have any rebellion? Why does this game feature do not appear in my game?
    You HAVE to activate the script each time you play RSII. Just click on a settlement, and then on the advisor.
    A denarius will be added, check it out to be sure the script is really activated.
    For more informations, have a look in the release thread.

I have this error " Generic Error: Unable to find skeleton 'fs_s1_forest_elephant_javelinrider' ", what should I do?
    Have a look at this thread which covers the most common errors.
    Known issues - "Unable to write to launcher ..." and "Unable to find skeleton..." READ HERE!
    If you're still having issues, or yours is not mentioned, create a thread in the RSII Technical Help forum, and we'll try to do our best to help.

Why is RSII crashing when I'm zooming on units during battles?
    You need to turn on the "Unit Shaders" in the graphic options.

Will there be an RSIII, or a conversion to M2TW for RSII?
    No, there will be no RSIII. There may be a collaborative mod with a different name that merges other mods and teams, but RSII is the last mod of that name.
    Nor will RSII be converted to an M2TW platform. The time period is wrong in terms of the buildings used in M2TW, and until there is a large scale effort and ability to change that, a Republican era Roman scenario doesn't belong there. Plus, we're tired. The next upgrade to RSII will be a major one, and the last (other than, perhaps, a few tweaks).

Can I find RS 2 on Facebook?
    Yes, http://www.facebook.com/RomaSurrectum

What is the mapping between the RSII factions and the 'vanilla' R:TW factions
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Romans = romans_brutii
    Scythia = romans_scipii
    Belgae = romans_julii
    Arverni = gauls
    Dacia = dacia
    Boii = boii (romans_senate no longer referred to in game)
    Free Barbarians = thrace
    Sparta = greek_cities
    Free Greeks = britons
    Gallaeci = spain
    Ptolemies = egypt
    Pergamon = numidia
    Pontus = pontus
    Armenia = armenia
    Parthia = parthia
    Free People = slave
    Seleucid = seleucid
    Cimbri = germans
    Macedon = macedon
    Sarmatians = scythia
    Carthage = carthage
    Last edited by apple; April 08, 2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Important thread added to reduce the clutter of the stickies.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: RSII Q&A

finally...all questions/answers in one topic..you could add the mid-battle ctd cause of no unit shaders straight away...just I answered that question about 20 times in the help forum ...
    maybe you would reconsider the title though...Q&A wont probably bring to much people here first
    "Comprehensive RSII FAQ" would be more appropiate dont you think ?...maybe you could do a work in progress and constantly update the first post to collect all those million times question/answers

As I said, I'm open to suggestions, I just put those that I were thinking about (which mean those in the forum right now).
    As for the title, I don't know; I'll let apple (or someone else) decide it, he knows how to "sell" things.

I'm adding the shader thing.
    Patron of ybbon66.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Why cant this just be added to the release thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|2|Lazyo View Post
    Because people dont read the release thread and start threads asking questions that were already answered in the release thread.

Also i would add an official psoition on whether there would be a RS3, something along the lines of "there are as of yet no plans for an RS3", since that thread tends to pop up quite alot as well.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Official stance on porting to Medieval. That comes up a lot.

I suggest you add a HUGE CAPS-LOCK RED-COLOR mention of the scrpit activation.

Honestly theres still ppl asking why they dont have rebellions and stuff.
    "By what right does the wolf judge the lion?"

It's already full enough, and it's not really the same subject, so I think it's better to separate them.
    You don't need those infos to play the game, it's just the questions are so often asked it's easier to put them all together.
    At least that's how I see it.

Also i would add an official psoition on whether there would be a RS3, something along the lines of "there are as of yet no plans for an RS3", since that thread tends to pop up quite alot as well.
    Official stance on porting to Medieval. That comes up a lot.
    Yep, that's a good one, but I'll wait for the "official" message before posting anything.

I suggest you add a HUGE CAPS-LOCK RED-COLOR mention of the scrpit activation.
    Honestly theres still ppl asking why they dont have rebellions and stuff.
    It can't make things worse to add it yet another time, I'll add it.
    Patron of ybbon66.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Add a faq section in the release thread, wasnt it your own stance that you should keep stickies to a minimum? And also, because some idiots arent reading the release thread, put it in caps "RS 2 DOWNLOAD AND FAQ"
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Quote Originally Posted by Paedric View Post
    As I said, I'm open to suggestions, I just put those that I were thinking about (which mean those in the forum right now).
    As for the title, I don't know; I'll let apple (or someone else) decide it, he knows how to "sell" things.

I'm adding the shader thing.
    Hehe. I make sure to take a look at that.
    Thanks for putting this together btw. We really needed one of these.
    I take a stab at adding more info when I get home. We might be able to add a few topics covered by the sticks and thus unstick those.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    I take a stab at adding more info when I get home. We might be able to add a few topics covered by the sticks and thus unstick those.
    The "important threads to read" sticky could probably be incorporated into this one in some way.

what's the option post marian roman general in the start screen ?

King Agamemnon of Mycenae's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: RS II: Questions & Answers

It just switches the general skin between republican generals and post marian generals, the idea was that when you initiate the reforms you change the skin of your general.
    Personally, I think the post marian general is easier to locate on the battle field, so I always use that one. Up to you

KAoM

ezopus2's Avatar Civis

I really dunno where to put this question, so I put it here in a hope for a response. (Sorry if this question has been answered before, honestly I am too lazy to search in detail right now. Promise not to do that anymore )

Why are hastati-principes merged cohorts wear the same armour like triarii and have the same armour bonus (=9)?

I understood the need of merging hastati and principes and I agree with that, but the triarii were still drawn from the richest classes of all and I think they should wear at least a little bit different or more ornated armour than the polybian cohort, and have at least 1 point more for armour ( or cohorts one less).
    With your permission, I changed that in my own game, hastati got one point less armour and triarii got a more ornated wear.

[On a side note: i always asked myself why all mods and even vanilla Rome puts swords in the early pre-camillan hastati's hands, when the hastati are spearmen? (its in their description: hasta=spear). I understand that later, after camillan reform the spear has been changed to swords ( the gladius came only later as far as I know), but I still wished that spear-phase to be modeled, that's why I changed my early hastati's swordman model with a spearman model, until polybian reforms occure - this in on EB, not RSII - end of note ]
    Last edited by ezopus2; May 18, 2011 at 09:21 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The armor and detail of the units in question is completely historical. If you look in the unit previews for the Romans, you'll see where the material came from that the units are based on.
    Also, RS2 starts after the Polybian reforms, and you'll read here:

Polybian system:

The post-Marian reforms replaced the hastatis with soldiers that were essentially all principes.

By the time of the Punic wars of the 3rd century BC, the Camillan system of organisation was found to be inefficient. In a new Polybian system, infantry were sorted into classes according to age and experience rather than wealth, the hastati being the youngest and least experienced. Their equipment and role was very similar to the previous system, except they now carried swords, or gladii, instead of spears. Each hastatus also carried 2 pila, heavy javelins that, "contrary to deeply entrenched myth" (Goldsworthy), did not bend on impact to make any struck shield useless or prevent the weapon from being thrown back. The weight and barb alone sufficiently hampered any struck shield (often penetrating the shield to hit the man behind it), and the iron was sufficiently hard that pila were often used as hand-held spears against both infantry and cavalry. By the time the volley of pila had reached the enemy line (usually only 15 yards distant for best effect), the legionaries were charging and very quickly at work with their swords. There was rarely any time for the foe to find a pilum, pull it out of whatever it had hit and throw it back

That the Hastati were armed the same as the Principe. There is even more info here about this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lsc...lavius&f=false

But it takes some reading, and the print is very small.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ezopus2's Avatar Civis

Thanks, yes, this will take a bit to read, dvk901, but I dont mind reading, contrary Most of my interest for ancient history and the Roman Empire started with the launching of Roma TW in 2004, I had only the basic knowledge of this before... shame but true... I've tried to change that since then... so from my side, the game and its mods reached their secondary target: to get people to know more about history...

metsikhovne's Avatar Semisalis

i have error in roman campaign in 1st turn while being ambushed by hannibal...
    I used RTW, RTW BI RTW alex but i got same, whats a problem?

ezopus2's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Polybian system:

The post-Marian reforms replaced the hastatis with soldiers that were essentially all principes.

That the Hastati were armed the same as the Principe. There is even more info here about this:

But it takes some reading, and the print is very small.
    Sorry, I forget to post here last week. I completely understand hastati and principes were merged, but my question was referring to differences between TRIARII and polybian cohorts. Triarii were still richer than cohorts aint? Anyway, it doesnt really matters anymore, I was just curious why they have the same stats...
    Honestly I couldnt manage to read what you linked above, after two pages my eyes went crazy and started tearing, so... it'll take a while

-----

Ok, i got my response from the book, quote:
    "The equipment of the Principes and the Triarii was in every respect the same whith that of the Hastati, except that the latter carried pikes instad of pila.... etc."
    I have no further questions regarding equipment
    Last edited by ezopus2; May 22, 2011 at 02:05 PM.

sorry if this has been answered but i didn't see it. why do the building descriptions say that a certain building could increase or decrease tax income? shouldn't roads always increase tax income no matter what culture is there?

by the way im in the spartan campaign.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

It's to depict the realistic costs of running an empire. Roads decrease tax income because they would have had to be looked after and maintained, same with the public buildings like the aqueducts, libraries etc.

Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast