Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Seljuk Revival

Default Re: The Seljuk Revival

Thanks for reading, SBH! I hoping to get more exposition going but it's hard to stay motivated between all the university papers...

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

I sympathise - push on though. It will be worth it!

Chapter Twelve: The Best Laid Plans...

During the interim, Astrakhan had the good sense to revolt (after all I'd done for it?!? It was about to get upgraded to whatever a 5000-person settlement becomes, too - it was at 4998). However, its revolted garrison was pathetically hilarious so I gave it the benefit of the doubt and decided the Seljuk presence on the north Caspian was not over.

Resistance was fairly futile. The Slavic swordsmen were fierce, but not as fierce as my Turkmen!

Once again I had the good luck of the entire enemy army routing before they reached the city center. I'll take this victory!

With the Ghurids wiping the floor with the Mongols, and the Romans kicking the Abbasids around the playground, it was time to make my move. A very poor assemblage of troops were sent to retake Sari but the relative weakness of my light troops to the Mongols' experienced ones means it will be a long siege.

A few turns later, I was my minding my own business, looking at palm trees in sunny Suqutra, when suddenly -

Oh! A loyalist revolt! Hamadan! My old capital! Alhamdulillah!! But wait...there are a lot of Romans. Just who did this revolt from? Please not the Romans...

...can't win them all, I guess. But I was determined not to back down. Insanely powerful faction or not, Hamadan was mine! Their diplomat immediately approached with what they thought was a reasonable, two-part demand: the vassalage of the Seljuks and the 'return' of Hamadan.

I informed them that the offer was untenable for two reasons; the first reason is that I quite like Hamadan, and the second is that I quite like my sovereignty. I told them sunny Astrakhan was the place for them and Hamadan was a silly place unsuited for Romans.

Suckers. Astrakhan revolted in a turn. Of course, this time the garrison isn't pathetic, but them's the breaks. I've sent the entire Seljuk navy (one dhow) to pick up Ibrahim the Mean and bring him to Gorgan.

Meanwhile, the extremely unlucky dynasty that is the Duqaq dynasty (how are they alive? Every one of them dies so easily!) had another boy come of age. Seeing as Zafar, Suqutra, and Calula are stocked with governors, young Djamal Duqaq is making the long, solitary trek to Hamadan. The place needs a governor, does it not? With any luck he won't die on the way.

It's looking increasingly like a time of action for the Seljuks. Sari will certainly fall, and if I'm lucky I will be a position to retake Amol and Rayy (fingers crossed!). But in the likely event that other factions will gobble those settlements up, I will invade Yemen and try to kill off the Ayyubids.

This game just got a lot more exciting. Also why is everyone Shi'a?!

A very interesting campaign. I hope you keep it up.

Chapter Thirteen: Revival

In what I take to be a sign of both my resurgence (not last!) and the Abbasids' spiral into nothingness, the latter finally decide to reach terms. I tell them they can take their peace scroll and eat it, because now it's my my turn.

My army hung around Sari long enough for it to capitulate without a fight, which was totally fine with me. Amol and the Abbasids await, do they not?

I opted to just occupy the city and upon looking at its scroll discovered a fairly depressing fact: the population was barely over 3000, but it would need 20000 to upgrade the city. That place had seen quite a bit of war...

Of course through this time, Djamal Duqaq continues to make his way north. The Omanis are becoming increasingly annoyed (and annoying) and I'm hopeful my bribes to them every turn will prevent outright war. If not, well, I could probably take them. A stack I'm concerned about was revealed with the construction of a tower:

And while we're at it, the world in 1270.

As I bide my time, the Romans see through my ruse about Astrakhan (took them long enough). I once again tell them that Hamadan is mine despite their zerg rush of priests. Note to self: hire a few assassins.

All seems well with the wor---oh no. Oh Hell no. NOT ON MY WATCH.

YOU WANT SOME OF THIS. YOU GOT IT.

This must be my first field battle in about 30 years and I am excited to live it up. I merge my armies and wait for the Abbasid army of come near. First, of course, are their cavalry. They sorta punch holes in my line since I have mainly light troops, but hopefully numbers will mean something.

More and more cavalry stream in, and I'm getting a little worried. Heavy cavalry against light infantry isn't ideal.

Here is another example of the enemy cavalry wiping out one of my units.

But my men decide they've had enough, and kill the general of the Abbasid army.

Meanwhile, Imaddin the Mean with Said ad-Din take out some wandering Abbasid troops. Their cavalry is slowly succumbing to my sheer numbers and the time seems ripe...

Oh yes. A proper cavalry charge into a proper mass of troops.

I cannot overstate how happy this sight makes me.

That charge had the handy side effect of routing the entire Abbasid army. Catching the routers was fun, and suddenly, we have ourselves a victory worth of the Seljuk name.

Of course, not all is well. Gorgan was left garrison-less to save Sari, but it's my hope that the troops in training will provide enough happiness to forestall a revolt or invasion. Said ad-Din moves on to siege Amol. My plan is to wait for the Isfahan to fall so when I take Amol, I also destroy the Abbasids. It's been a long time coming, punks.

Irishguy's Avatar Campidoctor
    Griftkwartier, Utrecht, Utrecht, the Netherlands

you're an awesome player xD
    [LED ZEPPELIN FANS] [BATAVIA TW!]
    (\_/) This is stoned bunny, The Patron Saint of stoners.
    (O.O) Copy and paste him to have him gain world domination!
    (\/ \/)

Chapter Fourteen: A Rayy of Hope

I realized suddenly that my besieging army was, in fact, NOT besieging anymore. It seems the Ghurids made the Abbasids. The alliance with the Ghurids would have to be lost.

Nothing would stand between me and victory! Also a Shi'a Khalifa? I think the BC Shi'a traits are broken because all my characters become Shi'a after a few decades. I'll look into this more.

At any rate, we've got a large array of siege equipment and in the words of the Beatles, a ticket to ride.

Before long the Khalifa makes his way out of the city, and we host a welcome party.

It would have been nice if my faction leader could have ended the Khalifa's life, but my faction leader is rotting away on Suqutra so...

Average victory, the game says! Heroic victory, says I! Add another to the list of reclaimed settlements!

Here's the world in 1270, just as Djamal Duqaq makes it to Hamadan (no war with the Omanis, either!). I'm really enjoying the Paramara (sp?) incursion into Ghurid lands.

Earlier, I had a mission to take Rayy and I more or less ignored it as I figured it'd be impossible to complete. But suddenly I had a real chance to do it! I threw together all the troops I could without having my settlements reach the point of revolt (crosses fingers).

After a short wait for the multitude of siege equipment to be built, it was time to reclaim the city I first took way back in 1176.

The Mongols would have a lot of arrows, I figured, so I came prepared. It's good to see Rayy again.

So far, so good. But those rams tend to drop like flies.

...yep. There goes one. Always bring two!

However, the second ram was unnecessary as the Mongol heir saw my men swarming over the walls and charged out.

I sent all my troops save the cavalry in and before long he was lying face down in the dirt before MY gate.

The rest of the Mongol troops took forever to kill, but the less upkeep the better so I didn't mind.

And for the first time since around the start of this AAR, I have to zoom all the way out to see my connected territories! I'll be focusing on bringing some stability to the economies of these settlements, along with Islam. There are too many priests spam-converting so I've work to do. But Isfahan and Qazvin are still in enemy hands...

Chapter Fifteen: Here We Go Again

With the taking of Rayy, I found myself in a position of strength in that region. I was all the separated the Ghurids and Romans from a clash, and given how the Rajputs are warring with them, the Romans would roll over the Ghurids. The Romans and Ghurids both like me enough for me to feel safe. So safe, in fact, that I decide to make the last Mongol city of Qazvin my vassal. I can take it later.

The world in 1280. Merv is already under siege again or else I'd have attacked it. I think that's my only chance, really - to take rebelling settlements. But that's a ways off.

[/IMG]

I want to take Isfahan, but this former Khwarezmshah general keeps on wandering around Hamadan. It'd make more sense to kill him and then moving on the last Abbasid city.

Once again, it was odd to have a field battle.

His cavalry was surprisingly strong. That's annoying. I was hoping this would be a pushover, but then again Djamal has no battle experience.

Still, a victory, a few good traits, and the youngest Duqaq is on his way to becoming a proper governor. Also he's becoming Shi'a. I wonder if it can run in a family? Cos they're all Shi'a.

The world in 1285.

Basically, my plan is to take Isfahan in a few turns. Then I'll turn on the Mongols since I don't get any money from then and retake Qazvin. Then, I'll keep an eye on the neighboring settlements and expand that way. I'm also hoping to build two stacks in the Arabian and African provinces and move on either the Ayyubids or Oman.

But wait? What's this?

Oh.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bring it, you bastards. I'm taking Aden as soon as possible and holding on as long as possible here. I just need some luck and a Rajput invasion...

Irishguy's Avatar Campidoctor
    Griftkwartier, Utrecht, Utrecht, the Netherlands

nice twist LOVED the Beatles quote
    [LED ZEPPELIN FANS] [BATAVIA TW!]
    (\_/) This is stoned bunny, The Patron Saint of stoners.
    (O.O) Copy and paste him to have him gain world domination!
    (\/ \/)

Yesman101's Avatar Libertus

wow.... one hell of a campaign you got there

keep it up, loving the twists and the sarcasm

Bandwidth exceeded? That's never happened before. :/

Anyway, going to be pretty busy but I'll update! Probably once every few days rather than a few times a day

Chapter Sixteen: Battles and Battles and Battles

Today seemed like as good a day as any to save Sari. I was fairly certain it was a winnable battle.

And, lo and behold, it was! Not much to report here.

Of course, the victory meant the armies around Gorgan wandered off to Sari again...

Battle would be hard!

It was! See you, Sari!

Meanwhile, it was time for a proper battle at Rayy.

The Ghurids took a page out of Sun Fuzz's war theories and knocked down a million walls before storming in. But I actually moved my troops off the walls, so nyah~

The Ghurids were surprised not to see my army laying dead among the rubble and responded appropriately.

All in all, not a bad day.

The army of Najm ad-Din finally made it ways to the outskirts of Aden. Next turn it would be mine!

OH COME ON

Still, I had a decent group of men, the upper ground, and an enemy army nearly made entirely of levy spearmen.

The battle lines were drawn...

...and held and the Ghurids gave way.

All told, exactly the sort of victory we needed.

dat income :f

But at Amol, we were again besieged by an army that would probably die but kill a bunch of Seljuk defenders in the process. Oh, and the Romans keep on sending diplomats to demand Hamadan. Might be seeing a Seljuk empire in Arabia sooner rather than later, but we'll see.

Chapter Seventeen: Battles and Battles and Battles Pt 2

Amol is the first to be attacked, though I feel like every city of mine save Hamadan has been attacked a million times.

Most battles start this way...

...then go this way...

...then this happens, somehow.

In spite of military success, my Sultan died of old age. The next Sultan is somehow not in the Duqaq family, but rather Nur ad-Din. There are two families in the faction now (only) - the ad-Dins and the Duqaqs.

Remember what I said about Hamadan? The Romans really liked it so they came to put a ring on it. Hooray massive siege fest!

But then the Romans were reasonable people. I accept in the hopes that the Ghurids get attacked.

I even make peace with the Abbasids, as their two stacks wandering around are a bit too much for me at the present.

Poor Amol gets attacked again before I can repair.

The lack of walls really is my undoing.

The defeat wasn't altogether unexpected, but still. See you, Amol.

Gorgan was likewise attacked.

Thanks to the pathfinding, my line never really formed...

Though I probably would have lost anyway. See you, Gorgan. This was my old stronghold so its loss bodes ill. Hopefully I can recapture it and eventually upgrade the dumb place.

There have also been a bajillion battles for Rayy - so many that I've stopped really recording them.

The general there keeps on getting different epithets every other turn, and I sent some little Duqaq to bolster the defenses. If this keeps up, I might be able to hold the city until (if) the Ghurids collapse.

Hopefully the Romans hasten that collapse...

As of this writing, Rayy has been sieged 9 times, with heroic victories in 6 of the battles. Hamadan is fully garrisoned and my other cities are booming. I'm just going to hold and see if I can resist the Ghurids. If I can, I'll probably attack the Mongols and Abbasids.

But it's 1299 and I don't know how much longer I can last. Map updates in the next chapter!

Chapter Eighteen: Onward!

Rayy finally finds itself in a battle where the outcome in far from certain. Is this the end for Said ad-Din?

No, of course not. Remember, he was the general holding out in Gorgan whilst the Abbasids took the rest, and the general that provided leadership in the reconquest of the former territories.

And this battle?

Easy.

Meanwhile, the Tegin Najm got bored waiting around in Aden and decided to look at the rest of Yemen. It seems ripe for the picking...

And indeed it is.

The army was in fully splendor as it assaulting the basically undefended walls.

All that remained was the heir, and Najm took his time in setting up the final assault.

And thus the Seljuk empire may contract in Iran, but it expands in Yemen.

Immediately after, Najm moved on Sana, which fell with hardly a fight. In a half year, the Ayyubid's leadership was dead, and it clung to power only in the Holy Cities.

Back in Rayy, though, another battle...

...and another flawless victory.

The game seems to recognize Said ad-Din's ridiculous inability to die, and gives him a new epithet - one that I'd never seen before in this game. I hope Said ad-Din lives longer (he's 109 or something) because he's a great general and the last in his line of the family.

Across the world, with Yemen secured, Najm ad-Din looks to Mecca and the associated prestige. Inshallah it will fall with little struggle.

The world in 1310. So the Ayyubids are left with only Mecca, and we can only hope they recapture it. If the Romans take Medina there is little hope of my own armies reaching it. But I'd love having the Holy Cities. With the end of the Ayyubids presumably near, I hope to invade Makuria. Oman is a thorn in the Ghurid's side, and the Mongols and Abbasids serve to keep me from being overrun. Onward, Seljuk soldiers!

Chapter Nineteen: Upward!

Almost immediately, Nejm is faced with a large enemy army. Finally a battle worthy of the game!

The battle lines were drawn up in the standard fashion, but I think catapults would suit the battle better than trebuchet.

Cavalry was important here, as my force was mainly levy spearmen and whatever horse/camel troops were available. It's been long since I actually had a use for mounted archers...

In typical fashion, the battle quickly devolved into chaos. I suppose that's what happens when you have two full stacks consisting of levy troops from factions outside their native lands.

But once again, my cavalry saved the day.

Eventually the chaos gave way to mild order, and victory was near.

Some of the usual mop-up of routing troops led to a very respectable result.

Sadly, the next year, the Lion of Rayy fell victim not to Ghurid spear but to old age. Hopefully the new governor (one of the numerous Duqaq kids) can live up to Said ad-Din's example.

As Nejm pushed north towards Mecca, another full stack materialised out of the sands. Let's do this!

Once again, the battle lines were drawn up as per usual. This time, though, the enemy employed field artillery and some cavalry.

It would again be up to my cavalry to decide the battle, as the Ayyubids enjoyed a decided numerical advantage.

And then there was the field artillery. The catapults and ballista tore apart my cavalry. Honestly, only luck saved Nejm's life. His bodyguard was continually bombarded by flaming stones and bolts.

The chaos of battle gave way to the chaos of a battle gone awry, and I could only hope the enemy's levy troops routed before mine.

They did, but obviously only after decimating my force. Let's hope the rest of the road to Mecca is undefended.

Typical. At least this battle should be easier.

It was, and it's fully undeserving of recording. Massive cavalry envelopment led to a insta-rout.

And finally, we were at Mecca. The defenders consisted of light troops and again it's not really worth showing the battle.

Suffice to say, Mecca is now mine. The Romans took Medina, and the Ayyubids only hold a small territory at the mouth of the Nile.

The Ghurids have sieged Rayy again, but I feel like I can continue to win there unless the Romans betray me. It's time to either look for a new enemy or retire the campaign, honestly. There's no hope of success against the Ghurids, and if Medieval 2 had better AI I'd already be limited to my Arabian territories.

I'm thinking of sending half a stack from Hamadan to end the Mongols, and then build up enough troops to see the Abbasids fall. Oman still is a handy thorn in the back of the Ghurids (i.e., I think they're why Hamadan is untouched thus far).

Even if this is the end of the AAR (which I do doubt), I will have at least had an entertaining campaign. It's been exciting going from owning a swath of Iran, to only Gorgan, to owning nearly the whole lot again. Of course, now, it's down to two cities but I can hardly be blamed for considering that a success given the size of the Ghurids and Romans.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

How did the Romans get all the way to Persia?!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Probably balance issues But it's not rare at this stage of BC (~300 turns) to see two superfactions.

It's been a while since I've truly enjoyed an AAR, but I'm following this one with relish. Nice screens, and the simplicity of your descriptions belies a very dramatic campaign indeed. Keep up the good work, Fuzz!

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

This is the best thing since sliced bread...

+Rep
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

fuzz my love, it seems your bandwidth is exceeded. I cannot view your screens :'(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast