Thread: very silly question

malato's Avatar Civis

Default very silly question

hi all
    i'm playing as Roman, campaign difficulty normal, battles very hard.
    i've been able to repel the huns, conquer campus quadii, get back to portus magnus (i think that's it) in africa, and as soon as i can reinforce my african army i would try to delete Vandals and berbers from the known world..
    Just.. why are goths' units soooo cheap to mantain???
    i know rome was in crisis, barbarians were the new, etc... but my beloved neighbour (who declared me war as soon as huns appeared..) really has too many soldiers and is toooooo much quick to build huge armies...
    thanks for bearing me

Default Re: very silly question

Romans soldiers were expected to be payed in cash (although there were always problems with this), while Germanics served mainly for land grands and booty. Germanic kings didn't have to pay for all the civic infrastrucure as well so percentage of GDP spend on "defence" was higher too. Try to finish off them one by one, and take the Vandals first to secure the rich African provinces, than use those funds to reconquer Spain. Gaul and Northern Danubian provinces were poor and less important so take them last.

malato's Avatar Civis

Default Re: very silly question

i've conquered some gaul cities, while i'm still assembling forces in africa.. but i think within 3 or 4 turns i assault vandals and moors as well