Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accents

Nova_Star's Avatar Laetus

Default Accents

I'm just a little bit nitpicky about the East Asian accents, including the Mongolians, and I know there are no replacements. However, what can I do if I want to just remove the campaign map voice files altogether? The Mongolians have Asian-sounding battle voices, so I would like to keep those, but get rid of the "Infidels to kill, Sultan" bits on the campaign map.

I apologize, since I swear I've looked almost everywhere... if this question has already been answered, can someone please direct me to the thread? I'll keep on looking just in case I missed it. Excellent mod, by the way; I'm going to be enjoying all these campaigns well into the next New Years, with as much variety and detail you guys have put into it!

Default Re: Accents

The problem with the Mongol voices is that they weren't designed to be a playable faction so they are missing a lot of voice files. I choose to replace these using the Arabic or Native American voices. If you wish to disable the campaign map voices you have to remake the sound files. I can tell you how to do this if you want.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Sure, if you can, that would be great. I have some experience in minor modding (usually of simplistic games like Civilization II), so you shouldn't have to put everything into layman's terms on my account. I think I may know where to get some voice files for the Mongolian and Chinese factions, actually... if I can find and get the files together, would you like me to send you the pack for use in the next update (provided there is one)?

Here's a complete guide to editing an accent in this mod (all the campaigns make this more difficult).

In the 'mods\conquest\data\sound_files' folder there's all the sound files you need. You'll need files from the following:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1) Base
    2) One of the 'greek native chinese sound files' folders. Below is their name and which campaign they're used in.

• greek native no chinese sound files: 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, and 1500
    • greek no native chinese sound files: 1230 and 1326
    • greek no native no chinese sound files: 1220, 1331, and 1453
    • no greek native chinese sound files: 1547

3) One of the 'descr_sounds_accents' files. Below is their name and which campaign they're used in.
    • descr_sounds_accents_early.txt: 970, 1080, 1200, 1220
    • descr_sounds_accents_eurasia.txt: 1230
    • descr_sounds_accents_eurasia2.txt: 1326
    • descr_sounds_accents_high.txt: 1300, 1331
    • descr_sounds_accents_late.txt: 1547
    • descr_sounds_accents_new.txt: 1453
    • descr_sounds_accents_world.txt: 1400 and 1500

So for 1547 you'll need Base and no greek native chinese sound files folders, and the descr_sounds_accents_late.

To make new sound files you need to do the following.

1. Copy all the files from the Base and 'greek native chinese sound files' folders to the 'mods\conquest\data' folder.
    2. Rename the descr_sounds_accents file 'descr_sounds_accents.txt', so 'descr_sounds_accents_late.txt' would become 'descr_sounds_accents.txt'. Put this descr_sounds_accents.txt in the 'mods\conquest\data' folder and overwrite the existing file.
    3. Delete all the files in the 'Medieval II Total War\data\sounds' folder. Do not delete any of the folders in this folder.
    4. Copy all the .dat files from the 'Medieval II Total War\data\sounds' folder to the 'Medieval II Total War\mods\conquest\data\sounds' folder.

You're now ready to start editing the sound files.

1. Open the export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt.
    2. Search for 'accent Chinese'. This is the accent for the east Asian factions.
    3. Change the mp3 code to the names of the new sound files; so if the existing code was 'Mediterranean_Admiral_Attacked_Enemy_1.mp3' and your mp3 was called 'Asian_Admiral_Attacked_Enemy_1.mp3' you would change 'Mediterranean_Admiral_Attacked_Enemy_1.mp3' to 'Asian_Admiral_Attacked_Enemy_1.mp3'.
    4. When you finished editing this file go to the 'mods\conquest\data\sounds\Voice\Human\Localized\Camp_Map' folder.
    5. Put all the new sound files in this folder.

You're now ready to make the new sound files.

Making new sound files.

1. Start M2TW; it will remake all the sound files.
    2. Copy the events, Music, SFX, Voice .dat and .idx files to the 'mods\conquest\data\sound_files' sound folder for the 'descr_sounds_accents.txt' you used. So if you used 'descr_sounds_accents_late.txt' you put the files in the 'sounds_late' folder.

Congratulation's you're done.

If you can find suitable voices I'd recommend you make a submod, rather than send me the files. I don't have time to search through hundreds of sound files to make a more realistic accent.
    Last edited by uanime5; August 23, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

That's understandable. Thank you! Not sure if it would be worth just making a sub-mod based on a few added accents though. Probably wouldn't be that interesting. Regardless, I should be able to piece something together with the sound files from other games. Should work beautifully -- so long as I backup my folder before messing with it, of course. *bows*

Default Adding Music

The only thread I could find about this was on the last page, and it wasn't clearly answered. How can I add my own music? I've managed to get the voice files for the Asian factions changed, now I just want to add some more variety to the music, particularly the campaign music. Got a number of mp3s for this too.

So far, I've attempted to edit the desc_sounds_music file in Sound_Files/Base, but no luck. I also removed the events.dat files from the eurasia folder and the main sounds folder (I backed them up though, just in case). I booted up the 1230 Mongolian Invasion campaign and came up with no sound whatsoever: no music, no voices, no sound effects, etc. At first, I just loaded up the mod by hitting '0', but I tried again with the appropriate number/letter for the 1230 campaign and no dice.

By the way, I was using the mod-folder trick as shown here, though with such an advanced mod as this, it's a bit tricky.

I merged these threads because they're so similar.

Adding new music is similar to adding new accents. The only difference is the file you edit in the third part. I've listed what you need to do in the third part to change the music.

1. Open the descr_sounds_music.txt.
    2. Search for the music_type you want to edit, for example 'music_type southern_european' for music used by Southern European regions (which region uses which music is controlled by the 'mods\conquest\data\world\maps\[campaign]\descr_sounds_music_types.txt').
    3. The 'BAttlE MAP' part is the music used on the battle map, the 'CAMPMAP' part is the music used on the campaign map.
    4. Add the name of the mp3 code to the list of mp3 this region uses; so if your mp3 was called '(Asia_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_11.mp3.mp3' you would add '(Asia_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_11.mp3.mp3' to the list of music.
    5. When you finished editing this file go to the 'mods\conquest\data\sounds\music' folder.
    6. Put all the new sound files in this folder.

Just so I don't take up any more space, I'll post this here:

I've hit a little snag trying to edit the music types for the Song Dynasty, Aragon, the Despotate of Epirus, and others in the 1230 Mongol Invasion campaign. I believe I know how to change it (using the desc_sounds_music_types in world/maps/1230), but I don't know which faction code stands for which faction, i.e. does 'Lith' indicate Song Dynasty China; does 'portugala' indicate Aragon, etc.

By the way, I've been playing the 1220 Crusades campaign for the past month in my free time; enjoying every minute of it! Looking forward to any updates you decide to make!

I only ask because I'm trying to fix the minor problem with the factions' music choices, such as Aragon + China with Arabic music, and Epirus + Serbia with Asian music.
    Last edited by Nova_Star; August 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Star View Post
    Just so I don't take up any more space, I'll post this here:

I've hit a little snag trying to edit the music types for the Song Dynasty, Aragon, the Despotate of Epirus, and others in the 1230 Mongol Invasion campaign. I believe I know how to change it (using the desc_sounds_music_types in world/maps/1230), but I don't know which faction code stands for which faction, i.e. does 'Lith' indicate Song Dynasty China; does 'portugala' indicate Aragon, etc.

By the way, I've been playing the 1220 Crusades campaign for the past month in my free time; enjoying every minute of it! Looking forward to any updates you decide to make!

I only ask because I'm trying to fix the minor problem with the factions' music choices, such as Aragon + China with Arabic music, and Epirus + Serbia with Asian music.
    Regarding faction names in my original Eras Total War mod I needed additional faction names so I just named factions whatever I thought of. So lith would be Lithuania, portugal would be Aragon, and Portugala would be Portugal. Portugal and Aragon are this way around because I didn't want Portugal to be in the early campaigns but I didn't know how to remove factions.

The best way to find which name refers to which faction is to check the 'mods\conquest\data\text\[campaign name]\expanded.txt'. Here is the faction list for the 1230 campaign:

{AZTECS} Khmer Empire
    {BULGA} Bulgarian Tzardom
    {BYZANTIUM} Empire of Nicaea
    {CUMAN}Kypchak Confederacy
    {CRU}Kingdom of Acre
    {DENMARK} Kingdom of Denmark
    {ENGLAND} Kingdom of England
    {EGYPT} Ayyubid Dynasty (Egypt)
    {FRANCE} Kingdom of France
    {GOLDEN}Novgorod Republic
    {HRE} The Holy Roman Empire
    {HUNGARY} Kingdom of Hungary
    {LITH}Song Dynasty
    {MILAN} Kingdom of Raška (Serbia)
    {MONGOLS} Mongolian Khanate
    {MOORS} Almohad dynasty (Moors)
    {NORMANS} Kingdom of Sweden
    {PAPAL_STATES} The Papal States
    {POLAND} Kingdom of Poland
    {PORTUGAL} Kingdom of Aragon
    {PORTUGALA}Kingdom of Portugal
    {RUSSIA} Grand Duchy of Kievan Rus
    {SAXONS} Kingdom of Norway
    {SCOTLAND} Kingdom of Scotland
    {SICILY} Despotate of Epirus
    {SPAIN} Kingdom of Leon-Castile
    {TEU} Jin Dynasty
    {TIMURIDS} Ghulam Dynasty of Delhi
    {TURKS} Seljuk Sultanate of Rûm
    {VENICE} Most Serene Republic of Venice

Ah, thank you very much! I didn't know there was a file with this list on it. Goes to show how much of a noob I am with mods. Again, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    The problem with the Mongol voices is that they weren't designed to be a playable faction so they are missing a lot of voice files. I choose to replace these using the Arabic or Native American voices. If you wish to disable the campaign map voices you have to remake the sound files. I can tell you how to do this if you want.
    Can I suggest something? There is a mod for M2TW called Clouds Across Europe and the Mongols are playable in this mod. They also have Mongolian voices. Ask the mod team how it was achieved and do it. Try it.

Problem Solved

p.s. Are the Mongols pagan in this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianWarLord View Post
    Can I suggest something? There is a mod for M2TW called Clouds Across Europe and the Mongols are playable in this mod. They also have Mongolian voices. Ask the mod team how it was achieved and do it. Try it.

Problem Solved
    M2TW does have some sound files for the Mongols but they don't have as many as the playable factions. Unless Clouds Across Europe made new sound files they're probably using the default ones.

p.s. Are the Mongols pagan in this mod?
    In the early campaigns the Mongols are pagan but in the later ones they have the same religion as the area they rule, so the Il Khanate would be Muslim.

M2TW does have some sound files for the Mongols but they don't have as many as the playable factions. Unless Clouds Across Europe made new sound files they're probably using the default ones.

In the early campaigns the Mongols are pagan but in the later ones they have the same religion as the area they rule, so the Il Khanate would be Muslim.
    For the sounds, I think they did that. I'm not sure, so I think it would be better if u ask them. As for the answer of what religion the Mongols are, thank u for answering my question.

I want to avoid creating a new thread since my next question is related, I believe, to the topics above.

I've recently had to buy M2TW off of Steam. Got the game to run fine, modified the Launcher file, etc. Now the problem I'm having is interesting... I retrieved my old Music folder from the backup conquest folder (which I made before re-installing the game) and replaced it into the conquest/data/sounds folder. I also replaced the desc_sounds_music.txt file in both the Base folder and the main conquest/data folder. After adding Eras to my Launcher list (using the 'Kingdoms Launcher app') and building the music and events dat + idx files in M2TW (having used the appropriate music, accents, and generic text files), it showed my music with sounds just fine in vanilla Medieval.

So I went and copy-pasted the files events, music, sounds, and voice dat + idx files first to the sounds_eurasia folder, then proceeded to add them to the base folder. Now, when I run any of the other campaigns, they work fine, but there is no music whatsoever. When I try to load the 1230 campaign, it crashes with the error message 'Medieval 2 Total War has encountered an unknown error and will now exit.' or something to that effect. I suspected it had something to do with my sound files, so I decided to test it out with the 970 campaign... take away it's ability to replace my sound files, then have it copy every other file dealing with it's campaign into the appropriate folders. It did so, then when it started to run (after Steam started up the launcher and I selected 'Conquest' from the list), it did the same thing the 1230 campaign did.

I did save the voice.dat and voice.idx files from the 1230 campaign, however.

Main Medieval 2 and Kingdoms are running just fine with the edited dat and idx files. Could it be because of a conflict between text-data files in the conquest/data folder? If so, what do I need to check and edit? The problem (sound but no music) is only occurring with Eras Total Conquest; the OTHER problem (crash during the initial 'picture' that shows up before the actual game starts) only happens on the campaign with the modified dat and idx files.

If it helps, I also discovered that it started playing videos even though the config file for conquest has videos apparently turned off. Could that be an indication of the problem? Perhaps Steam is forcing it to go through.

I tried a few alternate methods, such as keeping the main music, SFX, and events dat files in the M2TW vanilla data/sounds folder. Vanilla Medieval still plays the music with the sound just perfectly. Not even simply moving the files over to the conquest/data/sounds folder and erasing the dat and idx replacement files from the sounds_early folder - and other such folders - could get even the 970 and 1080 campaigns to load. They would just crash before getting to the actual loading screen.

I'll try a few other things tomorrow or whenever. Any suggestions would be helpful.

One last update that might give a hint as to where the problem lies:

The events.dat and events.idx files aren't being rebuilt correctly by either the vanilla or Europe-only Eras campaigns. I'm going to try it with the Retrofit mod; last time I got it to work was when I used the Retrofit to built the appropriate dat and idx files. I left the SFX files alone at first, then let it replace events and Music; I even attempted to force it to rebuilt events only. All the appropriate sound text files are in the data folder. I believe the problem simply lies in vanilla's inability to accept the additional 'accents' in the sounds_accents file (and the additional 'Asian' section to the sounds_music file).

Retrofit was developed for custom campaigns and content, which is what a lot of Eras is, right? The additional content indicates the mod may be more capable of handling the greater demands of Eras. If I don't post again tomorrow or in a few days, then chances are, it worked.

Regarding faction names in my original Eras Total War mod I needed additional faction names so I just named factions whatever I thought of. So lith would be Lithuania, portugal would be Aragon, and Portugala would be Portugal. Portugal and Aragon are this way around because I didn't want Portugal to be in the early campaigns but I didn't know how to remove factions.

The best way to find which name refers to which faction is to check the 'mods\conquest\data\text\[campaign name]\expanded.txt'. Here is the faction list for the 1230 campaign:

{AZTECS} Khmer Empire
    {BULGA} Bulgarian Tzardom
    {BYZANTIUM} Empire of Nicaea
    {CUMAN}Kypchak Confederacy
    {CRU}Kingdom of Acre
    {DENMARK} Kingdom of Denmark
    {ENGLAND} Kingdom of England
    {EGYPT} Ayyubid Dynasty (Egypt)
    {FRANCE} Kingdom of France
    {GOLDEN}Novgorod Republic
    {HRE} The Holy Roman Empire
    {HUNGARY} Kingdom of Hungary
    {LITH}Song Dynasty
    {MILAN} Kingdom of Raška (Serbia)
    {MONGOLS} Mongolian Khanate
    {MOORS} Almohad dynasty (Moors)
    {NORMANS} Kingdom of Sweden
    {PAPAL_STATES} The Papal States
    {POLAND} Kingdom of Poland
    {PORTUGAL} Kingdom of Aragon
    {PORTUGALA}Kingdom of Portugal
    {RUSSIA} Grand Duchy of Kievan Rus
    {SAXONS} Kingdom of Norway
    {SCOTLAND} Kingdom of Scotland
    {SICILY} Despotate of Epirus
    {SPAIN} Kingdom of Leon-Castile
    {TEU} Jin Dynasty
    {TIMURIDS} Ghulam Dynasty of Delhi
    {TURKS} Seljuk Sultanate of Rûm
    {VENICE} Most Serene Republic of Venice
    Whats list for empires?

I think should add faction dai viet and champa on 1230 campaign

IM pretty sure Nova hit it right on the head, as this seems to explain why i cant change even already existing music, and why the two Mongol campaigns have screwed up accents and music for some factions, that arent mongolian!

this list really unreasonable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast