Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faction icons/banners/strat map how to

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Faction icons/banners/strat map how to

There are many ways to make these but these are two of the ways I do them, I haven't gone into detail on all the photo shop tools as that would take to long, but this should be simple enough to get you started.

In photo shop open your new symbol
    now open up the faction button you wish to edit
    these are in data/loading_screen/symbols

1,use the magic wand to select the area your going to alter you can use the shift+ to add to the area or alt- to reduce this can be a bit fiddly but you will
    get it in the end.

make a new layer(on the section marked 2.at the bottom,left of the dustbin icon)
    1,paint the selected area (any colour you like) with the brush
    2,double left click blue layer bar
    3,in the new menu tick bevel and emboss(you can play with the settings but the ones I've shown work ok)

1,use the move tool to drag your new symbol across,
    2,if its to big/small use size tool to rescale (right click with cursor over image and use free transform)

1,merge visible this will retain the transparent background while flattening your button and symbol together.

now save (32 bit i don't know if it matters)

this method is a little harder to make work but gives you more control over the finish, the first steps apply here as well but instead of using bevel and emboss use dodge and burn,your on your own here as it takes a bit of trial and error to get what you want.

Use burn to shade the lower left of the circle and dodge to create the highlight
    play with the pressure and highlight/mid tone/shadow functions

the only extra stuff I've done here is to bevel the symbol add a stroke(outline)
    and white colour overlay(all in the fx pop up i showed you earlier)

that's the main icon done,to change all the icons for the faction you need to open the fe_buttons in data/menu/symbols/

resize and replace all three in each folder
    on the roll over use dodge to lighten slightly
    on the select one (if you have deleted the original) add an outer glow from the fx pop up
    for the grey one use image adjustments desaturate from the drop down menu

Banners
    your going to need the dds reader plug-in from here,

http://www.nvidia.com/page/search.ht...rds=dds+plugin

open the banner you want to change, they are in;
    data/models/textures

1,use your select tool to pull a box around the long banner
    then while holding down your shift key pull another box around the small banner,
    2,make a new layer(its better to do this so you can erase anything you do without losing your original image)

paint your area any colour you like
    now add a texture

1,at this point its a good idea to lower the opacity so you can see where your new image is going to go,
    2,use dodge and burn to create shadows and highlight's (bring the opacity back up to check what you've done)

1,use your move tool to bring your images across
    2,bring up the opacity off new banner,
    3,use dodge and burn to shade and highlight your image,
    4,use the same texture to blend your image to the banner,

if you've been wondering why you didn't have to keep within the edges of the original banner its because there is a hidden layer, (alpha channel)
    think of this a template,the game will only use the white area,the black is invisible.
    now as with the icons above you select merge visible this will flatten all your layers together.

now save.

while you have this open go and open the tga in data/models_building and use the move tool to replace
    that one as well (that's the one you'll see in and around city walls and in the town square)save as before.
    the only others i can think of are the ones in models_strat (don't know what they do and the captain cards which you'll find in the UI folder (if you've unpacked it.)

(yes i did change my new symbol at the end,so i could add in about texture
    and yes i did change the Saxons instead of the vandals) opps..

that's it your done.

open up the strat map symbol you want to change,
    these are in data/banners.

it looks odd but don't panic that's because its an alpha channel.

1.go to your layers tool box,select channels,scroll down
    2.click on the alpha channel,

now move your new image over(you cant make new layers in the alpha so its best to resize first)

save as an interpolated alpha the same as the banners above and your done,
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; July 17, 2008 at 04:38 PM.

This is what I got:

It's a little missing around the edges but for my first go I like it. I'll be more careful in future.

What you think?
    Last edited by Corrosion; February 26, 2006 at 06:00 PM.

A pretty good guide. Perhaps a bit limited, but that doesn't make too much of a difference since good symbols are moreso a question of artistic than graphics editing talent (though, of course, both help).

Keep on contributing, halie.
    The New Conquests Mod for RTW:BI
    Conquer a whole new world.
    Development - Discussion
    PM me if you are interested.

Shazbot's Avatar grant woodgrain grippin

This is a very nice tutorial, goes through all the details and is very helpful... wxept not to me. I have Elements 4.0, so I can't do have of the stuff you just post. BUt I'll try your tutorial with what I have and see what I can do.

Edit: This is what I got

Last edited by Shazbot; February 26, 2006 at 06:25 PM.

Blog Entries

both are very cool this guide is fairly simplified so from both results im well pleased,

1,as with most things in ps it just takes time to get used to the tools and how they work,
    for a first go its good,yeh just be a bit more carefull :wink:

2,tutorials have to be basic or people would be put off,and if i went into detail on how to use all the ps tools it would be to much, its all trial and error

3.i dont know elements but i guess the principles are the same,if your design is good (which it is)then the fx arnt so important keep at it

I've had Photoshop CS for a while now so I am good enough not to suck at it :wink:

I had another go but was more careful this time.

Shazbot's Avatar grant woodgrain grippin

Nazis... um... nice?

Pretty good faction icon, but why are the sides all roughed up? Did you cut is out, ecause it looks a little wierd.

Blog Entries

my guess he was inspierd by my original (which is germanic/saxon but medieval)
    still its a better effort than the first so its an improvement

maybe best to ditch the swastika might upset someone :wink:

The swastika is an ancient symbol, used by lots of peoples throughout history, for example the Saxons. So if someone get's upset by the look of it, then someone need to need to calm down and open an history book.

Blog Entries

indeed the symbol appears in the iconography of many world religions, i believe the Taoist may be the original, although most religions use it is a symbol of feminine fertility. It also more importantly faces the opposite direction, Hitler's use of the swastika tied in with his belief that a master race of people lived in caves somewhere in the mountains of Tibet, where he also thought the entrance to Atlantis was located.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; July 31, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

another quick and dirty way of doing battle banners is using the vanilla routing banners as bases. They are just plain white and so you can really go to town editing them.

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Just want to add that the use of the swastika is perfectly ok, as long as it isn't the Nazi one. As said above the swastika is one of many ancient symbols that the Nazis unfortunately soiled forever.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; July 31, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

Mirconus the Great's Avatar Civis

Cool... Thanks for this great tutorial... Now all I need is a Photoshop...

Merged double posts/Proximus

Thanks a lot, halie!!!! It works pretty cool!
    Last edited by Proximus; March 07, 2006 at 02:54 AM.
    YES, I DO LOVE ANTIQUITY

Reidy's Avatar Let ε<0...

OK, i've got une question pour vous: I downloaded the .dds plugin and placed it in the correct folder (i'm using PSP 7), yet I am still unable to open the files. The message that appears is "The plug-in generated a general protection fault". Am i missing any files?

Under the rather spiffing patronage of Justinian.
    Grandson of some fellow named the Black Prince.

Blog Entries

someone asked me this a while back in the mod workshop and i did find a guide but my net connection is playing up so i can't trawll back looking for it, (i don't have psp but i think it's different to the photoshop install),all i can offer is try asking in the workshop,good luck, :wink:

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: faction icons/banners/strat map how to

My RTW isn't working right now, does someone have an actual size emblem (Circle) I can work with?

When I try to save my .dds banners, I either get the message too many channels to export (5) or when I put them in game, they are completely white.

What's going on here?

Cheers
    Roma Surrectum - Beta Tester and Artist Co-Ordinator
    Under the Patronage of happyho

Blog Entries

When I try to save my .dds banners, I either get the message too many channels to export (5)
    I've never seen that, can't help sorry.

or when I put them in game, they are completely white.
    That I've seen that before, not sure how you fix it but it's something to do with coding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast