Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 310 B.C. -Samnium Calling (v0.95)

Default 310 B.C. -Samnium Calling (v0.95)

The
    by Sonny Costanzo proudly presents:

310 B.C.-Samnium Calling

adding the Etruscans, the Samnites, Epirus, Massilia and the mighty Antigonid Empire...

Version 0.95 for RTW

The year is 310 B.C.
    Seleucid Empire: Antigonus orders Nicanor, one of his generals, to invade Babylonia from the east and his son Demetrius Poliorcetes to attack it from the west. Nicanor assembles a large force but it is surprised and defeated by Seleucus at the river Tigris, and his troops are either cut to pieces or defect to the enemy. Similarly, Demetrius Poliorcetes fails to oust Seleucus.
    Asia Minor Ptolemy attacks Cilicia, territory held by Antigonus.
    Sicily The tyrant of Syracuse Agathocles escapes from the siege of the city by the Carthaginians and carries the war with the Carthaginians back into his enemy's territory.
    Rome deals with renewed trouble from the Etruscans, who are persuaded by the Samnites to cease their alliance with the Romans.
    Illyria The Autariatae disappears due to Celtic migrations.

Etruscans:

Etruscan expansion was focused both to the north beyond the Apennines and into Campania. Some small towns in the 6th century BC have disappeared during this time, ostensibly consumed by greater, more powerful neighbors. However, there exists no doubt that the political structure of the Etruscan culture was similar, albeit more aristocratic, to Magna Graecia in the south. The mining and commerce of metal, especially copper and iron, led to an enrichment of the Etruscans and to the expansion of their influence in the Italian peninsula and the western Mediterranean sea. Here their interests collided with those of the Greeks, especially in the 6th century BC, when Phoceans of Italy founded colonies along the coast of France, Catalonia and Corsica. This led the Etruscans to ally themselves with the Carthaginians, whose interests also collided with the Greeks. Around 540 BC, the Battle of Alalia led to a new distribution of power in the western Mediterranean Sea. Though the battle had no clear winner, Carthage managed to expand its sphere of influence at the expense of both the Etruscans and the Greeks. Etruria saw itself relegated to the northern Tyrrhenian Sea. From the first half of the 5th century BC they lost their south provinces (Campanian Etruria), the new international political situation meant the beginning of the Etruscan decline. In 480 BC, Etruria's ally Carthage was defeated by a coalition of Magna Graecia cities led by Syracuse. A few years later, in 474, Syracuse's tyrant Hiero defeated the Etruscans at the Battle of Cumae. Etruria's influence over the cities of Latium and Campania weakened, and it was taken over by Romans and Samnites. In the 4th century BC they lost their north provinces (Padanian Etruria), Etruria saw a Gallic invasion end its influence over the Po valley and the Adriatic coast. Meanwhile, Rome had started annexing Etruscan cities.

Samnites:
    The earliest written record of the people is a treaty with the Romans from 354 BC, which set their border at the Liris River. Shortly thereafter the Samnite Wars broke out; they won an important battle against the Roman army in 321 BC, and their imperium reached its peak in 316 BC after further gains from the RomansSamnium was delimited by Latium in the north, by Lucania in the south, by Campania in the west and by Apulia in the east. The principal cities of the region were Bovaiamom, renamed Bovianum by Latins (today: Bojano or Boiano) and Malventum (Maloenton in Oscan), which was later renamed Beneventum by the Romans (today: Benevento). For most of their history the Samnites were landlocked, but during a brief period they controlled parts of both coasts of the Italian peninsula. The Samnites were composed of at least four tribes: the Pentri (the most important tribe, capital: Bovianum), the Caraceni (principal cities: Cluviae, the modern Casoli, and Juvanum, the ruins of which are spread between Torricella Peligna and Montenerodomo), the Caudini (capital: Caudium, today Montesarchio) and the Hirpini (Oscan for wolf; capital Beneventum), and later may have been joined by the Frentani (capital Larinum, the modern Larino). The federal capital of the League they formed was Bovianum, except for a short period between the 4th and 3rd centuries BC, when it was Aquilonia, destroyed by Romans in 293 BC, whose probable location today is modern Aquilonia, in Campania, province Avellino.

Massilia:
    Marseille, which can be called the oldest city in France, was founded in 600 BC by Greeks from Phocaea as a trading port under the name Μασσαλία (Massalia; see also List of traditional Greek place names). The connection between Μασσαλία and the Phoceans is mentioned in Book I, 13 of the History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides. The precise circumstances and date of founding remain obscure, but nevertheless a legend survives. Protis, while exploring for a new trading outpost or emporion for Phocaea, discovered the Mediterranean cove of the Lacydon, fed by a freshwater stream and protected by two rocky promontories. Protis was invited inland to a banquet held by the chief of the local Ligurian tribe for suitors seeking the hand of his daughter Gyptis in marriage. At the end of the banquet, Gyptis presented the ceremonial cup of wine to Protis, indicating her unequivocal choice. Following their marriage, they moved to the hill just to the north of the Lacydon; and from this settlement grew Massalia. View from the Vieux-Port towards Notre-Dame-de-la-GardeMassalia was one of the first Greek ports in Western Europe, growing to a population of over 1000. It was the first settlement given city status in France. Facing an opposing alliance of the Etruscans, Carthage and the Celts, the Greek colony allied itself with the expanding Roman Republic for protection. This protectionist association brought aid in the event of future attacks, and perhaps equally important, it also brought the people of Massalia into the complex Roman market. The city thrived by acting as a link between inland Gaul, hungry for Roman goods and wine (which Massalia was steadily exporting by 500 BC)

Antigonid Empire:
    The Antigonid dynasty (Greek: Δυναστεία των Αντιγονιδών) was a dynasty of Hellenistic kings descended from Alexander the Great's general Antigonus I Monophthalmus ("the One-eyed"). Succeeding the Antipatrid dynasty in much of Macedonia, Antigonus ruled mostly over Asia Minor and northern Syria. His attempts to take control of the whole of Alexander's empire
    Antigonus I Monophthalmus:
    Antigonus I Monophthalmus (Greek: Ἀντίγονος ὁ Μονόφθαλμος, "Antigonus the One-eyed", 382 BC – 301 BC), son of Philip from Elimeia, was a Macedonian nobleman, general, and satrap under Alexander the Great. During his early life he served under Philip II, and he was a major figure in the Wars of the Diadochi after Alexander's death, declaring himself king in 306 BC and establishing the Antigonid dynasty. After the war had been carried on with varying success from 315 to 311, peace was concluded, by which the government of Asia Minor and Syria was provisionally secured to Antigonus. This agreement was soon violated on the pretext that garrisons had been placed in some of the free Greek cities by Antigonus, and Ptolemy and Cassander renewed hostilities against him. Demetrius Poliorcetes, the son of Antigonus, wrested part of Greece from Cassander.

Epirus:

The Molossian Aeacidae dynasty managed to create the first centralized state in Epirus from about 370 BC onwards, expanding their power at the expense of rival tribes. The Aeacids allied themselves with the increasingly powerful kingdom of Macedon, in part against the common threat of Illyrian raids, and in 359 BC the Molossian princess Olympias, niece of Arybbas of Epirus, married King Philip II of Macedon. She was to become the mother of Alexander the Great. On the death of Arybbas, Alexander the Molossian, uncle of Alexander the Great of Macedon, succeeded to the throne with the title King of Epirus. In 334 BC, the time Alexander the Great crossed into Asia, Alexander I the Molossian lead an expedition in southern Italy in support of the Greek cities of Magna Graecia against the nearby Italian tribes and the emerging Roman Republic. After some successes on the battlefield, he was defeated by Rome and killed in battle c. 331 BC

There are two versions:

Version 1 (v0.9) is very much vanilla based and includes:

-Many retextured and new vanilla based units

-webbirds 270bc map mod

-Epirus (replacing the Brutii), the Samnites (replacing the Scipii), the Antigonid Empire (replacing the Dacia) and Massilia (replacing Britons)

Download:

Version 2 (v0.95) adds:

-RS2 Environment

-Darth Formations

-SPQR/HBO´s Rome Soundtrack

-New Loading Screens

-Reworked Menu

-alternate Interfaces for all cultures

-bug fixes...

Download:

Installation:

Download v0.9(.5) and unzip it to your desktop

1. Navigate to your main Rome - Total War folder.

2. Move the folder titled "europa270bc" into the main Rome - Total War folder.

3. Go to your desktop and make a copy of your Rome - Total War shortcut.

4. Rename the shortcut to "310 B.C.: Samnium Calling"

5. Right click on the new shortcut and click on Properties and then the Shortcut tab.

6. In the target line, completely AFTER everything in quotes, paste this (with the space in front): -show_err -mod:europa270bc

7. Close everything up and you're good to go.

Thanks to:

Andalus

comrade_general and the THS Team

Dime Bag Ho and the XGM Team

Lorenzo Maximus

Macedonec and the ME Team

Subrosa Florens
    The SPQR-Team
    The Roma Surrectum 2 Team
    Lusted
    Webbird

Special Thanks to:

lolIsuck

Samnite Soldier

Spartan198

CaesarOfSeleucid
    Last edited by Sonny Costanzo; December 22, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Proudly under patronage of Ishan

Default Re: 310 B.C.

some ingame Pics:
    Last edited by Sonny Costanzo; May 14, 2011 at 06:01 PM.

more pics:
    Last edited by Sonny Costanzo; May 14, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

You know what this means,right?

IT MEANS AWESOME.Great man,I'm downloading now,and making some Samnite PWNing.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

really nice Sonny, I found some more things you should look at
    Samnites are named Etruscans
    Etruscans are named Romans
    The "mighty" Antigonid empire starts with villages and 1 town
    maybe add some units to Barbarian factions
    Cretan archers for Greek cities (half the world got them but not the Greeks)
    add Coriovallum (beneath the Rhine) instead of the village above the Rhine (not the one starting with an N)
    (last one is optional, would be nice cause I live there)
    I have only played a few turns but looking nice
    EDIT: smoothen the shores would be nice

I do have some weird flashes (screen goes black, then I see the desktop menu) when starting the game and when loading
    Colud be my laptop though, some friend of my sister thought it was funny to close my laptop when COD MW2 was starting yesterday(can't play on highest graphics anymore, then I get an error and the screen flash thing)

Thank you lolIsuck,
    just checked it on a second pc and checked the expanded_bi and campaign_descriptions. The factions names are correct...
    You ´re definitely right about the "mighty" Antigonids. In the next version Sinope, Halicarnassus and Melitene will be large cities.
    Cretan Archers will be recruitable for the greek cities too.
    Unfortunately i´m unable to mod the map.
    Last edited by Sonny Costanzo; May 17, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

only on the campain map when you put your mouse on a samnite city it says Etruscan city and same for Etruscans.
    And one more thing, the Antigonids start with Dacian units (warband, barbarian cavalry and barbarian warlord)
    And when you click at the barracks info you still see for example with the Etruscans the Hastati on the list
    I'ts all just details though

Well,I tried the mod,and I'm positively surprised,anyway,I had problems such as:

Samnites are called Etruscans
    Etruscans are called Romans
    You called the Italic and Italiote units as "Italiotan"and "Italican"
    Black flashes,it gives me the idea that the game is about to crash.
    Antigonids still got the Dacian name and Dacian graphic.I mean,they still look like barbarians on the map.
    Epirus...doesn't have Epirus,it just has the southern Italian greek colonies.
    Romans,Etruscans and Epirotes(more likes Italiotes for now)are all allied.
    Many new units lack a description.

I did a battle,Samnites against Romans.I won,though at a serious prize.Samnites are just awesome,awesomely modelled,the Italiote Phalanx is a uber-awesome auxilia,while Samnite units are really cool to be used because...they're polivalent,I mean,they're skilled fighters,and got a of pilums or something to throw at the enemy.They're almost the Samnite equivalent of the Legionary,the Samnite Heavy Infantry.I also solved the text-related problems.So,in conclusions,this mod is a really cool one.Maybe it needs some little more work but you already done like 90% of the stuff to be done.Congrats,man
    Last edited by Altzek; May 06, 2011 at 07:45 AM.

You are right guys. Try to fix a lot for the next version...
    BTW tried the mod on two pcs i never got those black flashes... mhm.
    Last edited by Sonny Costanzo; May 06, 2011 at 07:31 AM.

@Noman check my post, you have about the same problems

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    @Noman check my post, you have about the same problems
    I noticed.Anyway,if you guys want,I can upload an expanded_bi without those typos.Is it ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad93 View Post
    I noticed.Anyway,if you guys want,I can upload an expanded_bi without those typos.Is it ok?
    Sure man. Thanks

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I can't get the console to open no matter what I do. It opens just fine in the vanilla game and expansions, RS2, and Aristeia, but it won't in 310. I've edited the descr_shortcuts file several times trying to assign it to another key and I even replaced the descr_shortcuts file in the mod with the one from vanilla, but it won't open.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    I can't get the console to open no matter what I do. It opens just fine in the vanilla game and expansions, RS2, and Aristeia, but it won't in 310. I've edited the descr_shortcuts file several times trying to assign it to another key and I even replaced the descr_shortcuts file in the mod with the one from vanilla, but it won't open.
    Hey Spartan, it works for me i changed it to german key ß in my vanilla game, but that shouldn´t effect your data, should it?

Ok this mod got its first unofficial addon,a text fix XD

it worked fine with me, just follow the readme.

@Spartan changed it in the mod too. Sorry. Try to fix it when i´m back from work...
    Last edited by Sonny Costanzo; May 06, 2011 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Costanzo View Post
    Hey Spartan, it works for me i changed it to german key ß in my vanilla game, but that shouldn´t effect your data, should it?
    I'm American... my keyboard doesn't have that key. I even tried changing it to "shift+C" (as in "console"), but no go.

@Nomad
    I was just about to ask Sonny if I could upload an expanded_bi file to fix the Etruscan/Samnite text issue. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    @Nomad
    I was just about to ask Sonny if I could upload an expanded_bi file to fix the Etruscan/Samnite text issue. XD
    LOL I fixed the thing as soon as I saw the stuff,just after downloading and testing the mod.Oh,me too got the console problem,that's why I'm not playin the campaign now,no console,no thingie to add fog of war.Srsly,without fog of war the game is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad93 View Post
    Oh,me too got the console problem,that's why I'm not playin the campaign now,no console,no thingie to add fog of war.Srsly,without fog of war the game is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
    That's easily fixed without the console. Just go into the mod's folder to the preferences folder, find the preferences.txt file, find "fog of war" and change the "false" beside it to "true".

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast