Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3 tweaked for 'larger market.'

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Mass Effect 3 tweaked for 'larger market.'

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-larger-market

BioWare is in the process of realigning its Mass Effect franchise to appeal to a larger audience, according to EA boss John Riccitiello.
    Well, there goes Mass Effect 3. Everyone knows what happens when people try to appeal to a larger market to get more money. There's only one result from this, and it's never good.

"Don't worry guys. We don't want to do anything else in the world but please our fans. No, we're not making the game easier or funneling the story down to one real outcome.

We just want new people to see what Bioware has to offer. We're not a AAA developer and haven't been around for a long time. We have to get our name out there!"

If my money isn't good enough for Bioware that they have to go chasing after the COWADOODY dudebro audience for cash, they won't miss my sixty dollars. I'll keep my money and give it to a game dev that deserves it.

Default Re: Mass Effect 3 tweaked for 'larger market.'

given how bad mass effect 2 is compared to 1 in terms of gameplay, i feel the third one will be one of the biggest and most overrated flops ever to grace the gaming industry.
    such a sad waste of a completely awesome storyline

Can we just for once not throw our hands up and whine about a sentence from one man who is talking to shareholders and there for telling them what they want to hear? I mean we can't listen to all the things that the developers have told us that sound excellent huh? And Don I'd say you're the minority with the mindset of ME1 having better gameplay than ME2.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

underlying RPG mechanics where better developed in ME1 yes, but the actual gameplay was much weaker. It didnt even make a difference if you shot someone in the head or in the foot.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Can we just for once not throw our hands up and whine about a sentence from one man who is talking to shareholders and there for telling them what they want to hear? I mean we can't listen to all the things that the developers have told us that sound excellent huh? And Don I'd say you're the minority with the mindset of ME1 having better gameplay than ME2.
    Except games almost always (and I'm talking like 99.999999% probability here) develop in the light of that sentence. Especially when it deals with someone with the reputation that EA and Activision have. It DOES get more and more less like the original in terms of what it's supposed to be, and merely devolves into yet another boring action game.

ME1 was an TPS/RPG. ME2 became Gears of War with a conversation system. Do I love Mass Effect 2? Sure thing. But is it a good TPS/RPG hybrid? Hell no. It's not even an RPG anymore.

The wider the audience targeted, the lower the denominator of standards you get.
    Last edited by Thanatos; May 05, 2011 at 02:42 AM.

Comes Domesticorum

Awesome, this is great news. Keep up the good work BioWare!

I won't really get all doom and gloom about it but generally things don't go to my liking following that kind of statement.

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

And in another statement they said RPG elements will be brought back into ME3, because of all the complaints.

guess I'll make another thread about it and preach the death of Gears of War clones.
    No.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

So, what happened to including some more RPG-elements that they said they would?

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson from DA2 that this doesn't work. It just alienates your repeat customers and unless you practically turn it into CoD, the mass console market won't care.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Dude, you guys are reading into a line of words from a man talking at a SHAREHOLDERS conference. Why is it so hard for you to believe that he would say what he need to say to pander to his shareholders and ensure everything that can be done to increase sales, and thus profits is being done for one of their most popular titles? It doesn't mean it's grounded in anything. Especially when the developers are the ones to believe in their interviews detailing what's going on with ME development.

Comes Domesticorum

RPG fanbois will be RPG fanbois.

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    RPG fanbois will be RPG fanbois.
    I find it odd that someone who clearly dislikes RPGs as much as you do spends so much time in this particular section of the forum.
    My pony jumps ever so high

There goes my pre-order.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by blank View Post
    I find it odd that someone who clearly dislikes RPGs as much as you do spends so much time in this particular section of the forum.
    I love games were I play a role.

I dislike how some people think that there is only one standard mechanic for this.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    It doesn't mean it's grounded in anything. Especially when the developers are the ones to believe in their interviews detailing what's going on with ME development.
    Except that EA and Activision are known to take an active hand in the development of titles, and they're the ones who control all the funding. You know this as well as I do. Everybody knows this.

Comes Domesticorum

And yet ME2 was a great game. I am not concerned.

if this is true... it, NOT AGAIN
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

just calm down, hardly anything is known yet about the game.

To me it seems that this game will be the last good Bioware game before it gets as far that we might as well call Bioware EA. The old republic will likely be good at first but will probably become terrible within a year to make it more mainstream, like pretty much every MMO.

Comes Domesticorum

SWTOR is already looking to be pretty bad, for my tastes at least.

Apparently I'm the only one who makes that distinction though.

I dunno. I mean so far the game isn't looking to bad from what we've seen and they've said words of equal credibility about bringing back some more RPG elements. With ME2 they got the shooting down very well and the companions were great so I think they'll do a good job.

This doesn't bother me all that much until I see a glaring decline firsthand.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast