Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkest Hour, a HOI game

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Default Darkest Hour, a HOI game

Hey guys. I just got this game and I think that it's awesome. In fact I won it from the giveaway week these guys organized in Facebook. But it's cheap anyway, it costs just 10 $.

There are 2 main scenarios, one starting in 1936, with events that lead obviously to the WW2, but the main overhaul is the WW1 scenario. I found that pretty amusing.

is there anyone playing this atm?
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Libertus

Default Re: Darkest Hour, a HOI game

Yep got it off impulse on sale at the same time as aresanlal of democracy, hoi2 complete and hoi3 with SF.

Fairly good but i prefer arsanal of democracy

i cant spell

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod123 View Post
    Yep got it off impulse on sale at the same time as aresanlal of democracy, hoi2 complete and hoi3 with SF.

Fairly good but i prefer arsanal of democracy

i cant spell
    If I'm not mistaken Darkest Hour is the same as arsenal of democracy just with a better looking map.
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

If I'm not mistaken Darkest Hour is the same as arsenal of democracy just with a better looking map.
    No, it isn't. Not even close. Mind you in a lot of ways I prefer AoD since I don't like DH a whole lot (yes I know I can mod most of my problems but can't be bothered at the moment), but they are both quite different.

The WW1 campaign is fun.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

I am playing the 1936 campaign so far. The new map makes things more interesting. And so far, I am enjoying it.
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArk View Post
    No, it isn't. Not even close. Mind you in a lot of ways I prefer AoD since I don't like DH a whole lot (yes I know I can mod most of my problems but can't be bothered at the moment), but they are both quite different.
    DH 1.01 patch is out and it has corrected the existing bugs like Britain and Belgium not getting involved in WW1. Aside from these problems, which are the main differences compared to AoD? (I admit it's been months since I played it for the last time).

As far as I can remember the main differences are the mobilization system (which makes the game much more realistic), the ability to make decisions about who, how and when to attack and the map. These were pros compared to AoD. Also, the game has become kinda more stable when playing in the very fast mode.

The cons are that the casualty figures have not been included. Can't remember anything else right now.
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; May 08, 2011 at 12:38 PM.

This game is one of the best HoI2 games ever.

Decisions, new map, better AI

PLEASE RESPECT MY ETHNICITY AND RELIGION! -Hunyadi

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    DH 1.01 patch is out and it has corrected the existing bugs like Britain and Belgium not getting involved in WW1. Aside from these problems, which are the main differences compared to AoD? (I admit it's been months since I played it for the last time).

As far as I can remember the main differences are the mobilization system (which makes the game much more realistic), the ability to make decisions about who, how and when to attack and the map. These were pros compared to AoD. Also, the game has become kinda more stable when playing in the very fast mode.

The cons are that the casualty figures have not been included. Can't remember anything else right now.
    Well, they could include that in a patch.
    and since this is a HOI game, patches are to be expected

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by sarry View Post
    Well, they could include that in a patch.
    and since this is a HOI game, patches are to be expected
    Never really understood why they took that feature away from DH anyway.
    It was great to have an idea about what kind of damage you have sustained/inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Never really understood why they took that feature away from DH anyway.
    It was great to have an idea about what kind of damage you have sustained/inflicted.
    I suppose they didn't have enough time, and had to release the game.
    Since they usually do that.

should I buy this one even if I have hoi3??

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Yes. It's vastly superior, IMO.

Also, you get one of the best mods of all time for any of the HoI games pretty much fully converted to DH right now.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

Hmmm....Playing as Britain in the 1936 scenario I have just had a revolt in Barbados...different I suppose.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

Why do my divisions disappear when I strategically redeploy them?

I never really liked the Hoi2 engine.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

They are redesigned to the force pool and will reappear in the target province within a fortnight (depending on the distance you redeploy).
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Fracchione View Post
    should I buy this one even if I have hoi3??
    Trust me, I've been playing the Hearts of Iron series since they were released for the first time and I admit that I was unable to play hoi3 for more than 10 minutes without my brain being ready to explode from the amount of information received in the huge map. Uninstaled and returned to DH and Iron Cross the next day.

Well, I've been stalking the game over at paradox forums, I migth grab it. Has anyone played Austria Hungary yet for it?

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Lordreaven View Post
    Well, I've been stalking the game over at paradox forums, I migth grab it. Has anyone played Austria Hungary yet for it?
    Yup. Austria-Hungary is indeed amazing. They start WW1 with some 50 divisions which are enough to halt the Russian advance. If the Germans manage to move quickly in Western Front and move some of their divisions to the Eastern one, there's a good chance that a joint German-Austrian counterattack will reach Volga. The Serbians will need your attention because they will not get defeated in less than 3 months and the Italians are basically very bad. When they enter WW1, you will manage to stop them with 4-5 divisions.

Leo4444's Avatar Miles

I just bought the game today very fun. well worth the $10. I played a game as hungary(1936) to get a feel for the game and its not that difficult to get into. Operation Barbarossa went bad early on but a couple offensives went well in 1942 reaching outskirts of Kiev but a counterattack on all fronts pushed all the axis armies back and by 1943 my 17 divisions are fighting on Hungarian soil on the Eastern front and Americans are advancing from Greece.
    Cpu: Intel i5 3570k 4.0ghz
    Gpu: Nvidia Gtx 770 2gb
    Ram: G.Skill 8gb ddr3
    Motherboard: Asus Rock Extreme 4-m

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast