Thread: Unrealism

Icon4 Unrealism

anyone from the team thought about allowing us to sellect more units ? i mean ppl in mp battles are using Polybian velites and Praetorian guard (thats realism), rome is missing *half* of its units , and other factions some.

on other hand mod is great , it improved graphics and other thingies very well, but as i said its missing that " something"
    what it should be at least :
    - hastati(polybian) (i know they were merged , but hastati were used in the time of 2 , max 3 punic wars)(if people can use velites and praetorians , then they can use outdated hastati too)
    -principes (polybian) heavy inf
    Roman archers
    polybian velites
    Merc cav
    Roman cav
    Triari (or at least some spear infantry)

2. Marian legions
    Missing Cav totaly.

3.imperial
    (lorica segmentata was used after rome conquered all these factions , oumost all of them , but ok )

this was my fast thoguht , there can be even more units , i dont mean to insult or smth RS2 team, but mod is missing many Important things. as i said its Good mod but some things are missing.

hope we ll see some update!

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Unrealism

Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiMAsterTW View Post
    1. anyone from the team thought about allowing us to sellect more units ?
    2. i mean ppl in mp battles are using Polybian velites and Praetorian guard (thats realism), rome is missing *half* of its units , and other factions some.

on other hand mod is great , it improved graphics and other thingies very well, but as i said its missing that " something"
    what it should be at least :
    3. - hastati(polybian) (i know they were merged , but hastati were used in the time of 2 , max 3 punic wars)(if people can use velites and praetorians , then they can use outdated hastati too)
    -principes (polybian) heavy inf
    Roman archers
    polybian velites
    Merc cav
    Roman cav
    Triari (or at least some spear infantry)
    2. Marian legions
    Missing Cav totaly.
    3.imperial
    (lorica segmentata was used after rome conquered all these factions , oumost all of them , but ok )

this was my fast thoguht , there can be even more units , i dont mean to insult or smth RS2 team, but mod is missing many Important things. as i said its Good mod but some things are missing.

hope we ll see some update!
    I think you are mixing things up a bit...first its the wrong forum...this sort of stuff goes here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=251

but if you allow I give you a brief answer
    1. The Roman Unit Roster is as complete as it can be in this game...its by far the most diversive and there is absolutely no need for more roman units
    2. sorry..polybians together with praetorians is nonsens...they belong to different centurys
    3. well...the way things are reflected is good..as well there is the hardcoded trigger of marian reforms which changes the unit roster...no chance keep producing outdated units...and why would somebody do this?...
    4. Romans had no archers ...they where recruited locally (aux) - there are velites and antesignani (after reforms)...so the velites are the polybian ones in a certain way - there is plenty of allied cavalry to be recruited from roman allied states (list is very long) + merc cavalry...I wonder which game do you play ?
    RSII features about 500 units (more than any other TW game) and about a 100 can be recruited by romans all over the map..there is roman equites an thats it...there where never legionary cavalry and in the imperial time romans can recruit cataphracts and other cav in the east (but only there) a the auxilia cavalry introduced by augustus reforms (there are plenty of them)
    5. After Marian Reforms Romans recruited cavalry locally from allies and in imperial times there where no roman cavalry at all...it was the auxilias cavalry
    6. Lorica Segmentata was introduced after 70 AD (nearly by the end of the mods timeframe) and cause of its high cost it was not provided to all legions neither

I resume...there are pre an post marian units and in total romans can recruit maybe over 100 different units depending on the area, time frame and infrstrucutre in place...
    Sorry to say pal but your points are all uncorrect as you miss the entire mod...play a roman campaign and have a look of how many units the romans can really recruit...thing is you have to have the infrastructure in place and not all units are recruitable all over the map neither in the same timeframe...
    your critics are undue and unrealistic/unfounded .... probably you only played a few turns
    Last edited by chris10; May 03, 2011 at 09:55 AM.

I think he was talking about the mp version of RSII.
    Apart from the Hastatii/Princeps thing that has already been debated, the mp version has severely cut down on the number of unit for each faction to make them more unique.
    If you want to play mp with almost every unit that exist, use the battle only option in the launcher.

In the meantime, I'm moving this to the mp forum, unless it belongs to the main one.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Not sure if unrealism is the right headline... but you won't find Hastati or Principes in SP version either. Anyway having a multiplayer roster larger than 2 rows is highly unpractical when army selecting and on top of that to balance all 200 units out against eachother would take ages.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

HI iron remember me,
    well my opinion is the rate at which units die in RSII is just way too slow,im speaking particularly for melee , i realize you guys want to make the battles longer, but its too much
    Last edited by -Stormrage-; May 05, 2011 at 08:47 AM.

and it would be great if u could get friendlily fire on, i mean in some cases my cav might run through my unit of spearmen,and in reality they should be skewered . maybe u can make the spears hurt friendly units ,just like missiles.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrage
    HI iron remember me,
    well my opinion is the rate at which units die in RSII is just way too slow,im speaking particularly for melee , i realize you guys want to make the battles longer, but its too much
    Hi, of course I do

The kill rate is the single biggest difference from vanilla multiplayer, it would not be justified to change that. Battles might be a bit too long on huge unit sizes, but it was designed for normal unit sizes. Morale breaks quite quickly though, so focus on breaking enemy morale if you want quicker battles.

Quote Originally Posted by -Stormrage- View Post
    and it would be great if u could get friendlily fire on, i mean in some cases my cav might run through my unit of spearmen,and in reality they should be skewered . maybe u can make the spears hurt friendly units ,just like missiles.
    It's no different from vanilla. Friendly spearing only occurs if you charge through units in phalanx, it's effect is probably 80% less noticable though as a side effect of lower lethality. Charging through your own pikes still isn't very effective though...
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Ok make the units die slower then Vaniila. im ok with that, but cant you increase the death rate by a bit