Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Whats So Great About Byzantium?

Default So Whats So Great About Byzantium?

In my popular (but now dead) "What faction Will You Play As First?" topic the majority of people here chose Byzantium. What is so great about this faction? Give me all the details, i want to know why this ones a favourite, it intrigues me, and maybe i shall play with them first.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

I think its the fact that they are in most senses the heir of the power house that is Roman Empire, it makes them interesting. Also the fact that historicaly they were doomed to failure may be seen as a challenge to many.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Gottskalk's Avatar Libertus

Bysantium: the falling giant. Pretty interesting faction. Carries ancient traditions into the medieval ages. Has heavily armoured multi purpose cavalavry. Starts with good territory and the greatest city in the world. Ends its existence within the cities once great wall when technological advancement finally becomes its undoing.

Personally a really cool faction.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Well, usually because it is the most challenging faction... have a lot of money, territory and enemy!!!!! But personally I would like to control small country and beat up the big one!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Eh, yeah, pretty much what everyone has already said. It is why people love to play the Ottoman Empire as well in games that feature them.

They seem wholly unique in terms of culture. While Western Europe all sort of had a homogenous feel in the medieval age (There wasn't as drastic a difference between England and France and HRE, compared to the difference of the Celts, the Romans, and the Carthaginians, in my opinion), the byzantines have a look and feel that seems to set them apart, mixing east and west.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

• The heir to the greatest empire of the ancient world
    • Great Variety
    • Difficult Situation
    • Placement- It's in the middle of the map- plenty of different ways to approach the game.
    • Legacy of being one of the best factions in the last MTW
    • CONSTANTINOPLE!
    morecuriousthanbold.com

byzantineklibanophori's Avatar Centenarius

I second that CONSTANTINOPLE!!!

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

It's a chance for Greco-Roman society to reassert civilisation over the barbarian West and East. They get a really interesting unit roster and a unique strategic position. And yeah - Constantinople! Who wouldn't want to be the Byzantines?

bggeneral2's Avatar Libertus

Default Byzans

Yes, Byzans...... great enigma.

Tiro

For me, it is the challenge that interests me, together with many other factors that have been mentioned above. I challenge myself to reverse their fall and restore their empire that 'could have been'. How could the Byzantines have fared had I been command? Would they have fallen? Could I have prevented the fall of the heir of the Empire of the Sons of Mars? What if the potential of Constantinople had not been wasted? I always look forward to the challenge. Sadly, the challenge is often lacking. In MTW, I was never ever in danger of losing and dying. Pity... which is why I prefer their situation in Europa Universalis 2.

Probably have a large variety of units/buildings to

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga
    They seem wholly unique in terms of culture. While Western Europe all sort of had a homogenous feel in the medieval age (There wasn't as drastic a difference between England and France and HRE, compared to the difference of the Celts, the Romans, and the Carthaginians, in my opinion), the byzantines have a look and feel that seems to set them apart, mixing east and west.
    dont you mean heterogeneous not homogeneous then? sorry for nitpicking or whatever

EDIT: Opps i just mixed the homo and hetero up. Hope i never do that in real life if you know what i mean
    Last edited by westy159; February 27, 2006 at 11:28 AM.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

nah i think homogenous was the right word, the nations of Europe were all pretty similar minus the respective languages
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

I'm looking forward to taking on the challenge of rebuilding the empire after the didsaster of Manzikert, and also to the fact that the Byzantine starting position puts them in immediate contact with the western teutonic states to the west, the magyar Hungarians to the north and the Muslims to the east. Also the Byzantine heavy cavalry were immense, and more disciplined than the Frankish and Norman knights. Also, the Byzantines were almost always outnumbered in their battles and had to win using trickery and superior tactics, the underdogs in many ways. Their tactical tradition was excellent, if the Frankish crusaders had adhered to the principles of Maurice and Leo they would have done much better in the Levant. Anyway, who wouldn't want to start with Constantinople? The old Roamn knowledge is best preserved there, they make the best seige equipment. Historically the Byzantines at this point were beginning to base their army around mercenaries again, as they had at the time of the fall of the Western Empire, and this, amongst other things, lead to their downfall. I want to try to fight with a native army to win back territory seen by the Byzantines as rightfully theirs, and then take on the world!

Byzantium was one of the best factions in MTW. They had the coolest unit (Byzantine Infantry) and in all eras had the most potential. It's MTWII successor has a lot to live up to...

they had cool units and they like a few people had said were pretty individual inbetween east + west so that made them ace and the fact they were the last remenants of the roman empire made them cool too

to kick arabs butt with roman decendants lol

and chnage the name o constantinople to juanjopolis <--- roflmao

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
    - Nappy B.

The only fact in history.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Cayo_Julio_Cesar
    to kick arabs butt with roman decendants lol

and chnage the name o constantinople to juanjopolis <--- roflmao
    Hahaha, but in history, it was Arab and Turk kicked Byzantium's butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast