Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leipsana Rōmaika - previously Byzantine: Total War

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Default Leipsana Rōmaika - previously Byzantine: Total War

I think that with M2TW it would be time to relaunch my old Byzantine: Total War, although under a new name: Leipsana Rōmaika - The Remains of Rome. Here's the run-down for those who can't remember what the old one was about.

The year - 1205. The Byzantine (or Roman, as they themselves think of it) Empire is shattered, laid low by the Fourth Crusade. In the West the lands are torn up by Normans, Bulgars, Scythians and others, while in the East the Turks and Saracens run wild and unchecked. The Mongol Hordes loom on the horizon. Can a great leader reforge the Roman Empire, or will a foreigner conquer the land? The map focuses around Greece, Italy, Asia Minor, Bulgaria, Khazaria and the Tauris (Crimean) peninsula. Four turns per year, and whatever other interesting features that can be implemented. The mod draws to a close in 1299 (historically, this was the beginning of the Ottoman Emprie).

Here's a glimpse of the nature of the campaign map:

The Factions:

BYZANTINE
    House of Lascaris (Empire of Nicaea)
    House of Angelus (Despotate of Epirus)
    House of Comnenus (Empire of Trebizond)
    WESTERN
    Latin Empire
    House of Montferrat (Kingdom of Thessalonica)
    House of Champlitte (Principality of Achaea)
    House of Roche (Duchy of Athens)
    Crusader States
    Republic of Venice
    Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
    The Papal States (unplayable, of course)
    BALKAN
    Kingdom of Bulgaria
    Kingdom of Serbia
    Kingdom of Hungary
    Kipchak Khanate (Cumans)
    ASIAN
    Mongol White Horde (an emergent faction, if this will be possible)
    Kingdom of Georgia
    Kingdom of Cilician Armenia
    ISLAMIC
    Sultanate of Rum (Seljuk Turks)
    Ayyubid Kaliphate (Egypt)
    Abbasid Kaliphate (Baghdad)

Recruitment, government and so on will have to wait until we see what the exact mechanics of M2TW are, but I intend them to be interesting and accurate. Expect to see units such as the Pronoiarioi, Paramonai, Skoutatoi, Tzakones, Helepolis (a Byzantine trebuchet), Norman knights, Saracen Ghulams, and Turkoman horse archers.

If you are interested and wish to contribute, what this mod needs at the moment is historical research (I want to have all the historical knowledge and designs for factions ready to click into place as soon as M2TW comes out and we know how to mod it). We're pretty well covered on the Byzantines (though every little helps), but other factions need just as much accuracy! Accuracy is a primary aim of this mod, though gameplay will also be a key issue, and the two features will be balanced as best as possible. I sympathise with many gameplay complaints (especially the headache of governing too many cities), but I also want to have an atmospheric and believable game. Want to help? E-mail me at hachiman101@hotmail.com, PM me, or post in this thread.
    Last edited by Zenith Darksea; April 13, 2006 at 09:22 AM.

Kakhaber's Avatar Civis

verry interesting mod ! really ! this mod is more historycal accurate, then others !
    faction are chosen with verry historycal accurate !

Yes, well it's only theoretical at the moment. However, if there is interest, and people are willing to set up a research team now, I'd happily create this mod for M2TW.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Mmm... it sounds intersting... but I thought it appeared in Medieval I ready? (I mean, when you play High Age for Byzamtine, it feels same.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Yes, but this project is much more focused, and gets a lot more detail in. In Medieval I, not only is it unrealistic, but you can only play as the Nicaeans. Only a couple of those other factions above were in it.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Well the start date is one year after the Wrath of Khan mod, so I think we would be able to do some good collaberation on this

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Me i want to help this mod! i always wanted a mod on the last part of byzantine empire!

Name change. I discovered that Basileos Leandros is using the motif of 'Romaiki Aftokratoria' already in his 'Byzantium: Total War'. Plus I've finally bitten the bullet and used modern Greek spelling (considering that this is after all the late Byzantine Empire, it's how they would probably have spoken).
    Last edited by Zenith Darksea; February 27, 2006 at 09:47 AM.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I wish to you all the best Zenith.

2 mods for MTWII about the Byzantines won't hurt nobody.
    BTW will be continued for MTWII also.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Well, we can at least pool the research to some extent.

A great idea! This is what i mean by a different 'spin' on the same/similar era (the era in this case overlapping with MTW).

Why, thanks very much. Though I think that I need a more impressive sig than this one!

Its a much better idea than just redoing the same era with more accurate units, or redoing STW or RTW eras once more with just higher quality units. I hope other potential mods take some inspiration from what you are suggesting and realise they don't have to always do it just like CA but more accurate.

byzantineklibanophori's Avatar Centenarius

"verry interesting mod ! really ! this mod is more historycal accurate, then others !
    faction are chosen with verry historycal accurate !"

Nothing to do with Georgia is it now?

You can't stop him, he's a Juggernaut!!

In this instance I do think Georgia would be a suitable inclusion as their ties to many powers in this time period where extensive.
    ☻ This is the Prophet, lusty, promiscous, self serving and divinely (deluded) inspired messenger of god
    /▌\  Copy and paste him to protest his pederastic perversions on children
    / \

Yes, they are quite relevant to this particular concept, as they were very closely tied to the Empire of Trebizond. I must agree with you though; I put Kakhaber's enthusiasm down to the inclusion of Georgia as well...

Kakhaber's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea
    Yes, they are quite relevant to this particular concept, as they were very closely tied to the Empire of Trebizond. I must agree with you though; I put Kakhaber's enthusiasm down to the inclusion of Georgia as well...
    Empire of Trabizon established by Georgian quin Tamar in 1204 ad. Alex Comnen, the first Trabizon emperor was cousine Tamar. Trabizone Empire was satelite and vassal state of Georgia.

Nickpes's Avatar Civis

It seems very nice idea :wink:
    "Greeks do not fight like heroes,heroes fight like Greeks" , Sir W.Churchill

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

looks intresting. Look foward to it
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast