Thread: AI Faction Stuck On Endless Turn - Solution

ERE_Friend's Avatar Civis

Default AI Faction Stuck On Endless Turn - Solution

Hi Everyone,

A few people reported ending their turn and being stuck forever on one of the AI faction's turns. I've found the solution and would like to share it.

1. End your turn and when the game gets stuck on the AI's turn open the console command menu (press ~) and type toggle_fow. The game should jump to the AI unit that is stuck. If not you can scroll around and look for a unit that looks off (stuck halfway in an animation, somewhere they shouldn't be, etc.)

2. Reload the save from before you ended your turn and type toggle_fow again. Find the offending AI unit and manually move them with the following commands;
    • Point your cursor where you would like to move the unit and type show_cursorstat. It will give you two numbers (format [number],[number]) that you will need to move the unit.
    • Find the name of the AI unit you want to move. If it doensn't have a general with a name find the captain name by hovering over the until with your cursor.
    • Type move_character "[character's name]",[number],[number]. Type it exactly as I did (not the brackets though lol) If the unit is a captain it's full name is "Captain [whatever]"

Steps 1 and 2 have already been discovered by others on the forums. However I (and others) found that sometimes they didn't fully solve the problem. In my case an AI unit was stuck laying siege to a city. Moving the unit still left the city under siege and the unit in the siege animation. So AI turns still wouldn't end! If moving the stuck AI unit doesn't solve the problem use this workaround;

3. Use the move_character command to move one of your units (a small one of little value) next to the stuck AI unit.

4. Attack the AI unit. Before using autoresolve to fight the battle type auto_win attacker. You will automatically win the battle. If the enemy army is defeated then the siege is broken and the unit is no longer stuck in the siege animation!!!!!1111

But we're not out of the woods yet... If you're like me you're upset that you've just declared war on some faction you didn't want to go to war with. To get a ceasefire follow these steps;

5. Disband (or teleport home) the unit you just used in the above battle

6. A non-cheating tactic I've always used to get ceasefires is to capture an AI settlement and then offer it to them in exchange for a ceasefire. In my experience the AI will never refuse a free territory. So the final step is to use the auto_win attacker cheat to quickly capture an enemy territory and then give it back to them in a diplomatic settlement. To do this all in one turn I teleported a catapult next to an AI city so it could capture it right away. Then teleported home.

So there it is everyone. I hope it helps someone, really frustrated me.

Default Re: AI Faction Stuck On Endless Turn - Solution

Even with fow I cannot see name of army with a captain.
    Also what to do if stuck on a city without seige.
    Thanks

In move character can you use "this" instead of names.
    Thanks

I actually tried what you said in your guide and it didn't work. I am referring to those Crusader rebel invaders.

Triomphe's Avatar Laetus

Same problem as OP but it is caused by a rebel army inside a castle. It is in Silistra, from when a Bulgarian rebel army storms the Byzantine castle. There is no battle standard above the settlement and if anyone, me or AI, attacks it, the game freezes and needs to be reloaded. Obviously cheats do not work to remove the army inside, so my only solution is to put some units around it so that the AI never attacks it. Any idea?

Triomphe's Avatar Laetus

In the end, besieging without assaulting was the solution to my problem.