Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

disorder's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Ok cool i found it! thanks for the help friend.

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

This is what the long description of Askari Nobles says: Smashing through enemies with a heavy lance is a favoured tactic of these soldiers, who in dress and use resemble more their European rivals than the light Arab cavalry they descend from.

This is what the short description of Askari Nobles says: The Arab equivalent of a Feudal Knight, these warriors possess the same martial spirit as their foe's, possessing a greater mobility though lacking their rival's tremendous charge.

Which is true? Were they good at charging or not?

Same question for Ajnad Horsemen:

Long: the Ajnad were recognized as medium to heavy cavalrymen specialized in the use of spear in the traditional Middle Eastern manner (rather than the couched lance of the Latin Christians).\n\nSaladin's purges of Fatimid loyalists coupled with an increasing focus on Kurdish and Turkish Ghulam horsemen have left the ranks of the Ajnad to atrophy, being a shadow of a worth once commented to seem a reflection of the Crusading knights in armour and tactics. Consisting of Syrian, Egyptian, and Arab officers supported by Iqtas' (land grants in lieu of a regular wage), these provincial troops serve more as light cavalry of the Bedouin tradition than the solid horsemen born from Khurasani and Byzantine influence on the Abbasids and Fatimids.

Short: Provincial horsemen of various backgrounds fighting as light lancers, well suited to 'Razzia' charge-retreating or a sustained assault on horsemen of similar worth or disorganized infantry.
    Last edited by k/t; September 04, 2013 at 09:34 PM.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

And what is wrong with Ajnad Horsemen? It says they were once formidable force of medium-to-heavy cavalrymen, but then condition of the force deteriorated and they became light cavalry.

As for Askari Nobles, it's a bit more complicated. The description is confusing, yeah. If you used them on the battlefield, you know they are good in charging, so that should be said in description, and nothing else. I think historically term askaris was used to describe a military caste in the Ottoman state. Askar itself means only "a soldier", which can be applied to most units in BC.

I think that Iqtadar (or something, I don't know proper form of the term, but I mean a holder of iqta (which is not a fief)) would be more appropriate as a name for this particular unit. A holder of iqta would be armed in whatever he could afford, and since in the period iqtas were often simply tax farms, I assume such a warrior would be equipped very well.

Thanks for pointing this out. If you find any more inconsistencies, let us know.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

Kypchaks have initially Noble Lancers in their stacks. This unit also comes as reinforcements/award for successful mission. However, it is not recruitable. Is it intensional?
    The very same question applies to Khwarezm with their Khalaj Turkish Cavalry.
    RTR VII Team member/Sarmatae archaeologist

No, it's an oversight. There's a submod that fixes that.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...d-for-BC-2-3-2

The Khalaj are recruitable only by the Ghorids in the EDB, but both the Ghorids and Khwarezm are listed as owners in the EDU. I don't know if that's an oversight or not.
    Last edited by k/t; September 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Khalaj should be available only for the Ghurids or at least within Afghanistan for anyone who controls it. Historians assume they were originally a Turkic tribe that assimilated into native Afghan culture sometimes before BC begins, evolving into Pashto-speaking Ghalzay tribe, which today is one of the largest Pashtun tribal confederacies.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    "they show up fully skinned in battles"

That's because every unit model has a skin for every faction detailed in BMDB.
    Not every faction. Many Muslim units won't work in Christian factions, and vice versa. Also, I wasn't asking how. Not sure what the point of your comment is?
    "I have fought in more than 100 battle . Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance? And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle die. May the eyes of cowards never sleep."

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Weren't those in the Teutonic campaign of Vanilla M2?
    Not sure. I've never played the Teutonic Campaign. Nonetheless, a mission system would add more to the gameplay. Especially if they are historically accurate.
    "I have fought in more than 100 battle . Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance? And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle die. May the eyes of cowards never sleep."

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

I have a suggestion I always wanted to mention but always forgot to post it - make the wait time for stamina recovery much faster. Retreating your men from melee to rest up for a second engagement should be made more viable. It would add another layer of strategy to the already deeply tactical battles. Right now, units that are engaged in melee after a while become useless for the rest of the battle because resting takes way, way too much time and the battle is usually finished by then. Halving the time would probably be perfect.

Love this mod by the way still the best Total War experience even after all the recent releases.

"make the wait time for stamina recovery much faster."

I'm pretty sure that's hardcoded. The only way to alter it is to give every unit "hardy" or "very_hardy".

I thought I saw much quicker rates in some other mod. Or perhaps it was a different game.

If a unit has one of the stamina attributes, it will recover faster.

Shouldn't the Kingdom of Jerusalem function like the Papal states in vanilla M2TW? IE: not destructible, I'm not sure if that's hard-coded or not, but It'll make a whole lot more sense. I'm tried of seeing stacks of crusader rebels arrive on the shores of Syria and just standing there, not trying to regain any foothold in the region after I destroyed the KoJ. That's the only immersion breaker I found, the rest of the mod was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trueman. View Post
    Shouldn't the Kingdom of Jerusalem function like the Papal states in vanilla M2TW? IE: not destructible, I'm not sure if that's hard-coded or not, but It'll make a whole lot more sense. I'm tried of seeing stacks of crusader rebels arrive on the shores of Syria and just standing there, not trying to regain any foothold in the region after I destroyed the KoJ. That's the only immersion breaker I found, the rest of the mod was fantastic.
    what do you mean it makes sense? the KoJ got destroyed/abolished during the 3rd Crusade,they were totally expelled and sent back home to Europe.

Not historically speaking, I'm just getting stacks of Crusader rebels at my shores just standing there. Besides, there were five more crusades with intent of conquering the holy land and Egypt, after the third one, but I'm not keen on the number, and some Crusader states survived until as late as 1289, like the County of Tripoli. Anyway, my point is, it breaks immersion that I get messages notifying me of the Pope declaring a Crusade, then another one saying that they reached the holy land, and I get a stack of rebels staying stationary for the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trueman. View Post
    Not historically speaking, I'm just getting stacks of Crusader rebels at my shores just standing there. Besides, there were five more crusades with intent of conquering the holy land and Egypt, after the third one, but I'm not keen on the number, and some Crusader states survived until as late as 1289, like the County of Tripoli. Anyway, my point is, it breaks immersion that I get messages notifying me of the Pope declaring a Crusade, then another one saying that they reached the holy land, and I get a stack of rebels staying stationary for the rest of the game.
    well maybe the problem is about how you manage your game,maybe your faction leader has poor Authority,maybe everything is messed up in your Kingdom. (In-Game i mean)

I don't understand what you mean, it's a scripted event, KoJ gets reinforcements on a regular basis, you get a message that says somewhere along the lines of 'The pope has declared a crusade".
    A few more turns later, you get a message that says "The Crusaders have arrived at the Holy Land".
    You see, if the KoJ was still in the game, they spawn as an army for them, if they were destroyed, they spawn as a rebel army and just stand there, doing absolutely nothing.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. When I besiege a city with a low level of forces in it (3 or 4 units). (Usually the reason for besieging) if I let the siege to run for a couple of turns, when I come to do battle the army in the city has grown, often by 5/6/7 units. Any idea why this is happening?

That's garrison script. The number of units in garrisons grows when you besiege certain cities.