Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown
    That won't change much, as there is still requirement of event_counter mongol_em 1 to get those Templars.

I've checked EDB and it seems there should rather be:

recruit_pool "koj knights dismounted templar" 1 0.20 1 0 requires factions { france, } and hidden_resource recruit_koj and not event_counter templar 1 and event_counter mongol_em 1 and not event_counter first_turn 1

The red part was missing, so the unit was present in the browser. After and not event_counter first_turn hit 1 it disappeared, as expected. The same problem concerns Templar Knights. I think these two shouldn't be recruitable at the beginning at all. I think that there is a bug, yes, but it only make those two incorrectly visible at the beginning. They should be available only after the Mongol invasion begins. I haven't checked if they indeed appear after the Mongol come onto the scene, though, and I'd appreciate if someone could do that. We would be sure then.

Remove "and event_counter mongol_em 1 and not" and replace it with "and".

recruit_pool "koj knights dismounted templar" 1 0.20 1 0 requires factions { france, } and hidden_resource recruit_koj and not event_counter templar 1 and event_counter first_turn 1

Do that for every mention of "koj knights dismounted templar" in the EDB.

Some of them are like this

recruit_pool "koj knights dismounted templar" 1 0.20 1 0 requires factions { france, } and hidden_resource recruit_koj and not event_counter templar 1 and event_counter mongol_em 1 and event_counter ai_is_koj 1

so just remove the "and event_counter mongol_em 1".

I still don't know why the "first_turn" counter is needed, so for now just leave it in.

Aragorn1963's Avatar Biarchus

Excellent, K/T, works like a charm. Thank you very much. I won't overdo the recruting of dismounted templar knights, but it it sure adds flavor to have some of these units around.

Cilician Pirate's Avatar Libertus

Hello everyone! Here goes first post on TWC……I'm sorry to bother but I have a few questions……

1. I know that the install directions say to put Broken Crescent outside of the C:/Program files directory, but I just installed Third Age Total War there and it worked fine, so I’m going to go ahead and try to put Broken Crescent there anyway. With that said though, should I make the installation target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War" ….or…
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods" ……which one?

2. The vanilla copy of M2TW that I have is the physical U.S. version, but the physical vanilla copy of the Kingdoms Expansion I own was purchased via Amazon and is the European Union version (when I patched Kingdoms to 1.5 I had to use the EU 1.5 patch). So my question is will two different versions of M2TW and its Kingdoms Expansion cause problems with BC, such as language complications?

I hope this is in the right section of the forum and I would appreciate any help because this mod looks amazing and it’s one of the reasons why I bought Kingdoms.

Installation path of BC 2.3 should be "M2TW/mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms" (no more, no less)! Installer automatically adds "/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms" to the path chosen by you, so watch out to not to set "/mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms/broken_crescent_kingdoms"!
    Select your M2TW/mods folder

Okay so just to clarify the installation path is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods"

Because for most mods the install path is simply the default main medieval 2 directory (without the \mods ending)

And any idea about question two?

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Quote Originally Posted by Cilician Pirate View Post
    Okay so just to clarify the installation path is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods"
    Yes, point the mods directory and check if the full path is C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms.
    And any idea about question two?
    I think most problems were related to incompatibility between patch 1.05 and Kingdoms, so if these two are matched then there shouldn't be any issues. If there are, let us know, someone will help you to solve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    I still don't know why the "first_turn" counter is needed, so for now just leave it in.
    Hmm, I could swear I've posted info about it... Maybe that was in another thread...

Anyway, I think the condition is a flag which only denies availability of all units at turn 0 (turn 1 in the script). Without it, all units are available right away after campaign loads, and BC's recruitment starts to work normally only after you hit "end turn" button for the first time in campaign.
    Last edited by wudang_clown; June 12, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Alright I think I successfully installed the mod. Thank you very much for your help k/t and wudang_clown! But now I have some further questions about the mod itself.......

1. Some factions in custom battles only have a few units, such as the Eastern Roman Empire (has about 19) and the Mongols (has about 10), while the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Selujiks of Rum have double or more. Also the ERE and Mongols don't have any mercernaries just a few core units while other factions include mercernaries. So are the rosters of some factions in custom battles supposed to be this way, or did I install the game wrong?

2. Are the event pictures and cards (ex. end of turn report, marriage celebrations, largest faction, etc.) supposed to be the same ones from vanilla M2TW? Or did I mess up the installation of the mod?

3. I've seen that during the loading screens "Medieval II Total War" still appears at the top, even though it's a Broken Crescent themed loading screen, quote, and loading bar. So I ask once more, is this normal?

4. Are the battles meant to be more difficult in Broken Crescent 2.3? Because I played a custom battle on medium with the ERE vs. The Selijuks of Rum and even though I won, my losses were over fifty percent. And in the battle some of my mid-tier infantry took devasting casualties very quickly. So I ask is the game supposed to be this way, or do you think the unit stats got messed up during the installation?

5. Ok, last question, I think I installed patch 2.3.2 fine because the first loading screen says "2.3.2", but I installed Quick fix 2.3.2.2 and saw no immediate difference. Also, I installed the new Quick fix by using 7-Zip to extract the files directly into "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign" and it overwrited some folders. But after seeing no difference I then extracted the Quickfix to my desktop and then manually copied and pasted the new "campaign_script" text file directly into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign" folder, and it overwrited some folders again. So did I install the Quick fix correctly and is there supposed to be any visual indication that the mod has been updated to 2.3.2.2 ?

Once again thanks for helping me to install the mod guys and sorry about all the new questions! And while I've only played the mod for a little bit so far I can tell it is top quality and it is very beautiful!

What's the difference between recruiting units on turn 2 or on turn 1? Is it trying to simulate something?

If you start a campaign, you can recruit some units, so the availability is not denied.

Some units have a certain counter required for recruitment, like the Dismounted Templars with axes, who need the Mongol Invasion event. If you remove the first_turn condition, you'll only be able to recruit them once the Mongols come, and they won't appear on the first turn the way they currently do only to disappear on the second turn until the Mongols arrive. SS has units appear at certain times and vanish at other times, and it doesn't have any first_turn counter. BC is the only mod in which I've seen it. Using the Dismounted Templars as an example, the only thing it would seem to do is make a unit available on the first turn then remove it from the recruitment options until the second counter occurs (e.g. the Mongol Invasion). Maybe there's some subtlety I'm missing.

1. Some factions in custom battles only have a few units...
    Rosters are not equal numerically.
    2. Are the event pictures and cards (ex. end of turn report, marriage celebrations, largest faction, etc.) supposed to be the same ones from vanilla M2TW? Or did I mess up the installation of the mod?
    You did mess up the installation.

Go into Medieval 2 Total War/mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms directory and check if there is another Broken_Crescent_kingdoms directory inside it.
    3. I've seen that during the loading screens "Medieval II Total War" still appears at the top, even though it's a Broken Crescent themed loading screen, quote, and loading bar. So I ask once more, is this normal?
    No, it's not, and it's linked with above mentioned issue - if you downloaded BC package I'm thinking you did, then all 2D art is packed in one part of the package, so if you specified wrong path for that package it wasn't installed correctly, and so you see vanilla stuff. All you need to do is to find that missing part and move into proper path.
    4. So I ask is the game supposed to be this way, or do you think the unit stats got messed up during the installation?
    It is supposed to be this way.
    5.is there supposed to be any visual indication that the mod has been updated to 2.3.2.2 ?
    No, there's no visual difference.
    Once again thanks for helping me to install the mod guys and sorry about all the new questions! And while I've only played the mod for a little bit so far I can tell it is top quality and it is very beautiful!
    Your welcome and thank you on behalf of the team.
    What's the difference between recruiting units on turn 2 or on turn 1? Is it trying to simulate something?
    I'm not quite sure, as I haven't designed it. I think it has to do with the way two different recruitment rules are introduced in BC for player and for AI. Without that condition all units would be available at turn 1 only to disappear at turn 2, so that wouldn't be an elegant way to design AOR.

Why don't you try to experiment with it? You are modifying BC anyway.

"So I ask is the game supposed to be this way, or do you think the unit stats got messed up during the installation?"

The unit stats are rather peculiar in this mod, but never fear, I am working on an RR/RC submod. Now that PB is back, I'll have something ready as soon as he has answered the 300 questions I bombarded his inbox with during his absence.

Yeah, I will delete the counter and see what happens. Do you have any idea who designed it? Or the people in question are no longer on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    You did mess up the installation.
    Go into Medieval 2 Total War/mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms directory and check if there is another Broken_Crescent_kingdoms directory inside it..
    Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    No, it's not, and it's linked with above mentioned issue - if you downloaded BC package I'm thinking you did, then all 2D art is packed in one part of the package, so if you specified wrong path for that package it wasn't installed correctly, and so you see vanilla stuff. All you need to do is to find that missing part and move into proper path.
    I looked everywhere in "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms" but I did not find another Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms directory inside it. Are you sure that Broken Crescent currently does not use the vanilla event pics and cards(the ones that pop up in the lower left corner of the screen when a new turn begins)? I only say ask again because I was in the Art sub-form of the Broken Crescent forums and the first video in the first thread (that is not stickied) contains TWC forum member Broreale doing a campaign tutorial of BC 2.3, and in his campaign he has vanilla event pics, cards, building pics, "M2TW" at the top of the loading screen, etc.,... just like in my game.

Here is a link to the video and if you jump to and stop at time 4:44 and 23:30 you can see what I mean.

@Cilician Pirate

Forgive me my mistake, but everything is okay with your installation. I just took "vanilla event pics and cards" you mentioned for vanilla event pics and cards of units, as this is most common 2D-related issue in BC. Yes, BC uses vanilla event pics and cards for events etc. You can enjoy playing.
    The unit stats are rather peculiar in this mod but never fear, I am working on an RR/RC submod. Now that PB is back, I'll have something ready as soon as he has answered the 300 questions I bombarded his inbox with during his absence.
    How do you know if that will be real recruitment and real combat indeed?
    Yeah, I will delete the counter and see what happens. Do you have any idea who designed it? Or the people in question are no longer on the forum?
    The old team has designed it, and they are inactive, so I don't think you will get quick assistance from them in this matter. It's more convenient to check it by yourself, though you can try to PM GrandViZ or Strelac.
    Last edited by wudang_clown; June 14, 2012 at 05:44 AM.

Don't know if this has been addressed but perhaps make the kurdish lancers, tossassin mamluks and other unrecruitable units present in the custom battles available in the campaign.

Why?

Don't worry about it wudang_clown. And thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Now I'm off to play this great mod....

I see that Toassin Mamluks are recruitable in the campaign, but only by the AI.

Just find their entries in the EDB by searching for "ayyubid mamluk cavalry archer":

recruit_pool "ayyubid mamluk cavalry archer" 1 0.63 2 5 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource recruit_ayyubid and event_counter ai_is_ayyubid 1

and delete "and event_counter ai_is_ayyubid 1".

Do that for every other unit you want that only the AI can recruit.

Why?
    Because the Campaign is the best part of this mod, not the Custom Battles, and if it's a historically realistic unit it makes sense for it to be in the Campaign? And it's already in, it's just that only the AI can recruit it now.

Because the Campaign is the best part of this mod, not the Custom Battles, and if it's a historically realistic unit it makes sense for it to be in the Campaign? And it's already in, it's just that only the AI can recruit it now.
    Apparently, I have problems to switch between Polish and English syntax. Now I got it, but some units are unavailable by mistake. AOR in 2.4 will be very different anyway.

Will you add the missing Kypchak units?

How will the AOR be different? Or do we have to wait until the release to find out?

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask how you will handle recruitment restrictions in 3.0, since with the current system you need two hidden_resources for every faction and the 64 cap has been reached already.

Will you add the missing Kypchak units?
    Yes.
    How will the AOR be different? Or do we have to wait until the release to find out?
    I don't want to reveal anything right now. There will be a preview before any release.
    Oh yeah, I wanted to ask how you will handle recruitment restrictions in 3.0, since with the current system you need two hidden_resources for every faction and the 64 cap has been reached already.
    Combining resources and conditions is crucial. We can only have 64 hidden_resources, but there is no limit regarding combination of "bare" hidden_resources and combinations of hidden_resources and scripted conditions. This way we can have at least thrice as much combinations as the limit of hidden_resources with only one third of 64 of hidden_resources in use for combination.