Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Libertus

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by megalitho View Post
    Technically yes, but the team will not change the 2 turn system in the near future (afaik ).
    see also: www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=492165
    Thank you

jodelofcourt's Avatar Libertus

Hello,just downloaded BC2.3 and started a campaign as ERE. Why does my treasury show minus 50000 to start? Somethings wrong i suspect! Anyone who could help with this would be greatly appreciated.

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

well it's not something wrong. when you start with every faction you economics will go down for the firsts turns.as for the byzantines in turn 10 you will be ok,just be patient.

jodelofcourt's Avatar Libertus

Thank u for the quick response Zburanuki. Just wanted to be sure i didnt have a glitch. Great mod,i'll be patient and enjoy. Thanks again.

reprint of last post in BRR submod thread. while referring to the submod, the plans in it are, i guess, suggestions also for Broken Crescent in general.

FEEDBACK PLEASE!

I just watched the review of Dominion of the Sword, and they are using a system of Forts whose models replicate vanilla settlements. This is an idea that lots of people had and have not expressed fully in any mods.

**Those of you playing BRR know already that we've implemented 7 new "settlements" (forts) for the Roman faction in the far west of the map by using this system as the Nicea, Constantinople, and Varna settlements were barren and not reflective of population density or strategic placement of historical settlements and forts. Those of you playing can see that we've already recreated Romania and Bulgaria in BRR v 0.94.

Now just to give those settlements proper names using Dominion of Sword style scripting.

**Bulgaria and Romania's Pontic Coast in BRR v1.0 is to be FULLY recreated using this fort "settlement" system. SoCal Infidel figured out something pretty amazing which is present in Pro Deo et Rege 1.0. I have been waiting for a response from So-Cal Infidel who did Pro Deo et Rege.

He has been busy working on some cases (he's an attorney here in California) and had some major interpersonal life changes over the last two years, as have I. Gigantus used to help with this a lot, but he's been busy on other mods and if I could get his attention I could probably pick his brain a little about this.

** See, SoCal and Gigantus figured out how to essentially 'split up' the rebel faction into countless independent NAMED factions. They are one faction in terms of the AI playing all of them in each turn, and all the rest, but they had different symbols for each sub-faction, and while all grey they were still named the right way. Instead of being called 'rebels' they were called Lesser Factions and Independent Factions. Moving the mouse over a 'rebel' unit or settlement in northern Syria, you would, for example, find them called '[Lesser Faction] Kurdistan'
    It had to do with scripting that gave the spawned or recruited rebel unit a proper faction name corresponding to the region that they spawned or recruited in. The settlements also weren't simply named 'Rebel' but had a faction name as represented above with Kurdistan for instance.

**It always seemed obvious that a lot of the practical fun of 'not' having a region limit could be arranged through a sophisticated and thought out use of forts. Something that I haven't seen yet, and would like to figure out, is

1.) how to recreate the merchant system so that the resources (salt, gold, silver, silk, etc.) are on or about the same square ....

2.) if not that, then a tiny walled settlement using the concept in Third Age where the Gondor capital has a ring wall.

This would be much smaller, just a courtyard so to speak where your merchant can be completely safe and un--withable.

1.) (above) The easier (as far as campaign map art and editing) alternative would be to figure out how to have the resource and fort on the same square - then you essentially garrison your merchant in the 'city' and VOILA!! the 'fort' now performs a direct economic function.

3.) Third possibility would be to have "merchant' be a retinue character acquired by generals/family members after a high level market is built in a 'real' settlement and he spends time there. Then when he he goes to a fort, the general acts as a merchant as well as a general. This involves two distinct scripts which may not work, but would be very cool indeed. This is because agents typically don't interact with generals and military units cogently, though the assassin and princess scripts may give us a clue on a work-around.

** With the mercenary units recruitable from forts, as we already have thanks to CA's Kingdoms add on, and a protected merchant in the fort who is extracting a resource, I believe we have actually worked almost entirely around the settlement limit. In doing so, we would also have created a two-tier settlement system which would resemble but actually improve the whole Vanilla concept of having a difference between Cities and Castles. You could have Castles and Lesser Cities which only recruit mercenaries units (but the mercenary system can be easily reworked, we already know how in EDU and World, so that its presented as 'standard' units)

** Also, in extensively playing Rusichi, i noticed that team had found a scripting way to make the resource model's appearance change at a given date or after a certain event (haven't figured out which yet, still playing with their files). I believe this will figure into how the above can be implemented best.

** In Dominion of the Sword, they have figured out how to give Proper City and Town names to the fort models on the campaign map. I am going to study the scripting in order to do this for a BC version.

As some of you know, I am working on an all new campaign map for BRR, as this submod eventually develops into a partial rebuild of the entire BC as a humble anticipation of BC 3.0.

Its not going to be a good map for slow computers, as it will be as big as the game (or I!) can handle. In combination with the use of new fort strat models to represent other Towns and Cities and Castles available in Dominion of the Sword, I am in process of receiving permission to use this models in BC's BRR submod.

You can see that we are using this concept-in-development already in v 0.94 of BRR. 7 Forts were added as has been mentioned.

Eventually there will be more than 200 Forts added which have a combination of castle and settlement appearances. With the above mentioned system of recruiting from Fort 'settlements', extracting a valuable resource that gives, say, 500-1200 per turn, a total rebirth for m2 mods will have been accomplished.

Opinions please ....

ERE_Friend's Avatar Civis

This update is glorious! It took me forever to get around to downloading it, but the polish and extra detail really makes the game feel fresh. A few questions though.

1) Forts: I never played the kingdoms expansion, but from reading wikipedia it seems the permanent forts were a bit different depending on which expansion campaign you played. What are the details on how they work in BC? Can I build them? Which kingdoms campaign are their features taken from.

2) Everything installed great and the game works no problem, however the desktop shortcut it installed is just a generic icon, it doesn't have the BC logo on it. It works, but is this normal? What can I do?
    Last edited by ERE_Friend; December 23, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kschneides View Post
    This update is glorious! It took me forever to get around to downloading it, but the polish and extra detail really makes the game feel fresh. A few questions though.

1) Forts: I never played the kingdoms expansion, but from reading wikipedia it seems the permanent forts were a bit different depending on which expansion campaign you played. What are the details on how they work in BC? Can I build them? Which kingdoms campaign are their features taken from.

2) Everything installed great and the game works no problem, however the desktop shortcut it installed is just a generic icon, it doesn't have the BC logo on it. It works, but is this normal? What can I do?
    haha its just a small problem.. All u have to do is:

1. right click the shortcut
    2. Select Properties
    3. Then, in the opened tab (shortcut) click on "Change Icon"
    4. In the menu select "Browse"
    5. Assuming that u downloaded the mod properly, navigate to C:\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms
    6. Select bcicon
    7. Hit open underneath
    8. Hit OK
    9. Hit OK

viola.. u no longer have the w.e icon and u have a cool BC icon

ERE_Friend's Avatar Civis

Ah, you are my hero, thank you so much! I've never had to mess with an icon before that is easy lol. I was thinking hey it's an icon not a big deal but I was missing it's presence in my dock.

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kschneides View Post
    Ah, you are my hero, thank you so much! I've never had to mess with an icon before that is easy lol. I was thinking hey it's an icon not a big deal but I was missing it's presence in my dock.
    no problem

Hi BC team,

This is simply one of the best games I have every played!! The amount of detail is breath-taking and fascinating. I have a suggestion and a question.

Suggestion: I suggest that the region of Kutch be renamed Anjar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anjar,_India) as I couldn't find a historical city/fort called Kutch. Similarly, instead of Mumba, Bharuch, under the name Bharukachchha, would be historically accurate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharuch) as it's located in the region where Mumba is currently located in BC. The present day Mumbai is further south and didn't come into existence till the 1500s. Present day Mumbai was a collection of fishing communities unlike Bharuch which was a major trading port and hosted traders from Arabia, China and Sindh during the timeline of BC.

Question: How do I make my Rajput/Paramara characters speak to me on the campaign map? Everytime I click they just raise their hand or banner and don't say anything.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

CB

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBacon View Post
    Suggestion: I suggest that the region of Kutch be renamed Anjar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anjar,_India) as I couldn't find a historical city/fort called Kutch. Similarly, instead of Mumba, Bharuch, under the name Bharukachchha, would be historically accurate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharuch) as it's located in the region where Mumba is currently located in BC. The present day Mumbai is further south and didn't come into existence till the 1500s. Present day Mumbai was a collection of fishing communities unlike Bharuch which was a major trading port and hosted traders from Arabia, China and Sindh during the timeline of BC.
    Thanks, we will have a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBacon View Post
    Question: How do I make my Rajput/Paramara characters speak to me on the campaign map? Everytime I click they just raise their hand or banner and don't say anything.
    Yes, you know a good indian speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by megalitho View Post
    Thanks, we will have a look at it.

Yes, you know a good indian speaker?
    Me!

Is it possible to install it on Steam version of the game? I tried to install v2.3 and wasn't able to launch the game. When I run .bat file or shortcut, it just starts usual game launcher, where you can choose between medieval2 and 4 additional campaigns of Kingdoms addon (BC nowhere to be found). Whichever you choose, it just runs original game, only that pure Medieval2 now won't even launch - it crashes with windows error (and it worked fine before BC installation). Is it just me, or it isn't suppose to work in steam?

I found an instruction regarding running older version of BC on steam - rename its folder to on of the present, official "mods" (like, to americas), change the paths in .bat and .cfg file to address new destination, choose to run america campaign when in game's launcher menu. It worked and game played well in battle and at world map. So, is it really the best and only way to run it with steam version?

nnnm's Avatar Senator

Thinks so

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Hi, my 2 cents about version 2.3.
    1, I just wonder why some Crusader/Jerusalem units have snow terrain advantage instead of desert/forest.
    2. Also when I tried to use Indian faction I found out that siege towers/ladders are way to high over Indian/rebel walls and it looked very silly when (during siege) troops just slipped from 5-8 meters into the walls

Hi there. Just about to play my first bc 2.3 campaign. I would like to know how are crusades, jihads and the mongolian invasion in the game. Are they too powerful, too devastating, so to speak? I am personaly not a big fun of these features, because they seem a little unfair and unbalanced, and a little too exaggerated, at least when I play other mods. So, what should I expect on BC 2.3, also a massacre? Or is it a little more smooth than what I am used to?
    Last edited by AlexCouceiro; January 08, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

the mongols are very tough (for me personally as khwarezm) as they have 8-10 full stack units and unlike other mods on bc the y have very good infantry units (not only archers) and their heavy cavalry also.as for the crusades, only if the crusaders lose jaffa,jerusalem or acre (and having build the papal assistance) will be launched a crusade and only by king richard the lionheart.in my games never has been called a crusade so i don't know how many stacks will be appeared.also in 1204 2 full stack units (as rebels) will attack constantinople but in fact are the detouring crusaders of the 4th crusade.finally in my game only one time has been called a jihad against the makurians who had cairo.ayyubids,abbasids,seljuks of iraq and ghurids arrive at cairo with full stack units.some factions didn't follow the jihad and other didn't arrive.i think jihads are the same as in other mods with the exception the in bc are much more muslim factions,so if they call jihad on you it would be difficult.also i realised that it' very difficult to call a jihad because the imams are not very pious and it's very difficult to call a jihad against you because the AI recruit very few imams.

Thanks for the tips. It doesnīt look that bad after all. In SS 6.4, playing hard mode, the mongols appear in late era with something around 50 full greatly overpowered stacks, right at the first turn! In 50 turns, they nearly destroy everything in their way. The Kwaresmians usually donīt last for more than 30 or 40 turns. Well, at least the mongols on BC 2.3 looks like a big challenge, but still a manegeable task.

Miles

I've played BC2.3 several weeks now with a couple factions, mostly the Abbasids. I have a few review comments.
    1. From earlier posts, I see you are aware of the problem that nobody dies a natural death. My sultan is 110 and a few active generals are also over 100, as well as diplomats, assassins, everyone is immortal. The trouble here is that the old guys don't have children, the generations don't change, and the pleasant illusion of real lives vanishes. It doesn't matter anymore what credits they get, because eventually they'll get character lists a mile long.
    2. Another issue occurs in battles. AI generals and heavy cavalry charge right away, which can be unnerving and sometimes effective, but usually they are easily destroyed. This is a big problem when playing a battle with a reinforcing army in the field. You can't trust that your AI general will not go kill himself on a spear. I know this is fixable, because the AI in Kingdoms Grand Campaign plays with reinforcements very sensibly. Also, I get some kind of banner across the top of the screen when playing with reinforcements, associated with the active mode. Maybe I am missing how to use it, but as far as I can tell, it does nothing and won't disappear.
    3. Finally, the Mongols arrived a long time ago, but I could not find them anywhere. They were at war with Khwarazem, and on and on, but no they had no cities and apparently fought no battles - then suddenly they turn up in force north of Baghdad. OK, I can see they will eventually threaten me, but it seems unreal that they come directly at me, and everything on the way remains untouched.
    Those are the main things that make the game less fun than it could be. Hope this helps!