Intel Core i-7 Sandybridge 2600K
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro Z68 Motherboard
    8GB RAM
    2TB Hardrive
    850W Corsair PSU

Ok, this thread is over.
    My list of most anticipated mods:

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

I have a bit of a suggestion though chances are it is at least similar to some probably aplready posted.

Well, I really like the aor units and that they can only be recruited in certain regions. I do not, however, really like the fact that faction main units can only be built in certain regions. It makes sense... sort of, from the historical perspective of course. What bugs me about it though is that it leaves less room for the AHISTORICAL outcomes, aka: the player.

I'll provide an example. Let's say I play as the ERE. I have my core regions, and can train my main forces there. fine. makes sense. however, from a realistic/ahistoric perspective, let us say I drive the seljuks of rum out of asia minor, I push north into russia, and I've also begun to reclaim outreimer. Is it truly realistic to NEVER be able to build maineline infantry, archers and cavalry in the newly reclaimed regions? I respectfully say no. The ERE would, given it's ressurgence and now dominant position, would be far less inclined to let regions and local millitias to operate at liberty and train as they had been before. The empire would need professional troops to maintain order. And for that, they would need Romans. Yet "true" Roman populations themselves would, by that point, be a minority in the kingdom, and too few to effectively maintain order. So, the empire would be forced to either stick with militias, or create more Romans. Given Roman history (both east and west), I'm more inclined to believe the ERE would attempt the latter, and so they would work to "Romanize" their border regions: applying Roman teachings, bringing in Roman military academies, training and drafting the local populaces to serve in new Roman Legions, trained in the Roman styles of warfare (with SOME adaptation due to environment and regional foes).

so that is the crux of my suggestion. I would greatly appreciate, and find it much more "realistic" if you could design main faction troops to train from ANY settlements, provided (the following are suggested methods of going about this based on other TW mods I have seen in the past) a few conditions are met:

a) you could bring in a "culture" meter (similar to the regional religion breakdown). when a certain cultural percentage is met, certain units will be unlocked and recruitable. This, if feasible, would be my best suggestion. However, as I understand little of the game mechanics and programing required to do such a thing, I'm going to assume it is impossible to have a "culture" meter AND a religion meter at the same time, which brings me to my second, and I think simpler, suggestion:

b) tie unit recruitment into the religion meter. Pretty much identical in every way to the above suggestion, except, rather than have unit recruitment based on regional "culture" percentages, you could base it on regional religion percentages. I've seen this done in a few mods, the most memorable one being the Kingdoms Grand Campaign mod. For example, to recruit some peltastoi, you would need a minimum of 30% orthodox christianity in a region.

I feel there are many benefits to this idea, the main one being it would provide an excellent middle ground for those who like to play without tampering yet would also enjoy recruiting a faction's main forces anywhere.

let me know what you guys think, and regardless, superb mod

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

is it possible to include the feature of recruiting a general? or when a man of the hour comes up, u can accept but he wont be a family member?
    Last edited by Harith; August 28, 2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: changed my suggestion

Hi guys im new to broken crescent, the middle east, and mtw 2 in general. Ive been a huge fan of RTW and the Roman timeframe but I think its time I expanded my horizons in a fun way. Im just hoping to see if anyone could give me a brief summary of some of the history taking place at the point in time in the game, a recommended faction (no byzantines for me though) and any helpful advice for beginners (is there a script, etc.)

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    Im just hoping to see if anyone could give me a brief summary of some of the history taking place at the point in time in the game...
    Excellent game depicting the fracturing of the Muslim world, a few hundred years after the immense Turkish invasions reshaped kingdoms and Caliphates from Persia to Anatolia, during the time of the Crusades. There are a wide variety of Muslim factions from the fledgling Turks of Rum (pre-Ottoman) to the Abbasid Caliphate, the Ayyubids under Salahudin, and east to peoples and places you've likely never heard of before based on what you said.

At game start, the 2nd Crusade as already occurred and the Kingdom of Jerusalem is at the height of it's power, but fatally short of men. They must rely on the various knightly orders, both secular (Normans, knights of Outremer, etc) and religious (Hospitallers, Templars, Teutonic, etc) to survive along with pleas for successive Crusades. Both of these factors are well represented and make for super fun gameplay.

The Muslim factions are very fractured in the west, but extremely powerful in the east. If they can unite or call a jihad (another great game mechanic that unites even warring factions against a common enemy) any Christian faction will have a rough time (Armenia, Kingdom of Georgia, The Kingdom of Jerusalem, the Eastern Roman Empire, etc). However, the Mongols are scripted to arrive outside of Samarkhand right on queue in the early 1200's (complete with an overwhelming horde of manics. What happens after that is usually pure chaos.

The newer engine presents more gameplay and diplomacy options which modders have only improved. And as you can see, the units are incredible to play with, they've done a marvelous job overall. Map is west as far as the Balkans with the ERE descendant but still sitting pretty in Constantinople. East all the way to India -- three Indian factions are present (2 Hindu, 1 Muslim), north to The Kipchak/Rus steppes, and south all the way to ancient Axum and beyond, inhabited here by the African Christian Kingdom of Makuria.

PS.
    The Eastern Roman Empire (we do not call them the Byzantines which is an ahistorical term invented by German revisionists centuries later) is actually pretty great to play, I'd recommend them. Also recommend the Abbasids, Ayyubids, the Kingdom of Jerusalem. You should investigate further east too. As it stands now, I also recommend rusnmat's mod RBBR which fixes some critical gameplay issues with 2.3 IMO. It also adds plenty of other elements which overall enhance the mod.
    Last edited by Dago Red; August 30, 2011 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    PS.
    The Eastern Roman Empire (we do not call them the Byzantines which is an ahistorical term invented by German revisionists centuries later) is actually pretty great to play, I'd recommend them.
    Ahahaha I wasn't sure how people on this particular mod forum prefer them to be called. I am a fan of Eastern Roman Empire name too, but sadly many people don't realize that they are "also" the Byzantines. But thank you so much for this reply. I think I'll like the community as well as the mod.

is there any chance of issuing official fix of swordsmen animation? I tried RBBR submod, it's better, but they are still too weak. in my oppinion, this problem unfortunately ruins gameplay of this great mod and I'm waiting for fix before starting another campaign

Hey guys,

it's been several months since the release of 2.3, so I'm wondering if that 2.3.1 hotfix is still coming (esp. addressing the reinforcements-bug). This is not not a complaint, I'm merely asking whether you're still going to release a small fixpatch rather soon or decided to forego it in favour of a more substantial update (2.4).
    Personally, I'm still looking forward to 2.3.1 ;-)

In any case, keep up the good work =)

"To achieve everything that is possible, we must try to do the impossible." (H. Hesse)

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Yes, 2.3.1 is still in plans. I think we will manage to release it this month.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
    is there any chance of issuing official fix of swordsmen animation? I tried RBBR submod, it's better, but they are still too weak. in my oppinion, this problem unfortunately ruins gameplay of this great mod and I'm waiting for fix before starting another campaign
    Can you 'run' a series of 'tests' in Custom battle between just one unit of swords and one unit of spear. Get them to fight and don't do any micro managing of sword. Find two units, one sword and one spear of otherwise equalish stats.

Do about 5-7 matches and post the results in terms of by how many on each side were left standing at the time of breaking/victory.

I can address this right now in BRR (see thread)which is for RBBR

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard13 View Post
    I can address this right now in BRR (see thread)which is for RBBR
    I think that issue has already been fixed in RBBR.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

The issue was "fixed" in RBBR with weapon speed + attack value tweaks. Works much better, certainly well enough not to detract significantly from the game any more, though you may find some units here and there still need minor adjustments.

Of course, this leaves the root problem in place, the buggy animation -- which still results in lots of wasted energy on the part of swordsmen, swinging uselessly and constantly shield blocking.

"kingdoms.exe" is in my Medieval 2 folder, but I still can't launch BC 2.3. When I click on the launcher it says windows cannot find kingdoms.exe.

Most likely that's because you have applied wrong 1.5 patch. It has to be compatible with Kingdoms version - if you have, e.g., US version of Kingdoms, then 1.5 (or 1.05) also has to be US, if Kingdoms is EU, then 1.5 (or 1.05) also has to be EU...

So, you have to find out what version of Kingdoms you have and download and install proper 1.5 (or 1.05) patch - you don't have to re-install Medieval 2 and Kingdoms, just install the patch over your current installation.

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    If it comes to Makurian priest - there aren't any in 2.3, because we didn't have strat map characters of African appearance.
    What about the Kypchaks? They will never have shamans or they just don't now? I'm playing 2.05 (or whatever the version before 2.3 was).

I personally would like to see Templar and hospitaller grandmaster skin or unit in the next version. Maybe the Teutonic one too however I figured he might be dealing with the pagans in eastern Europe.

Armazd's Avatar Libertus

hey guys i have an problem with the video on this mod
    when i chenge the unit quallity it dont be chenge
    and still be low on quallity
    what should i do?
    please help me

Do you confirm changes by hitting "Apply Changes" in Video settings menu?

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    Hi guys im new to broken crescent, the middle east, and mtw 2 in general. Ive been a huge fan of RTW and the Roman timeframe but I think its time I expanded my horizons in a fun way.
    This is me too, and being lazy I felt copying is the way 2 go

I've played RSII alot with an added submod, FGE. This mod has a script that activates a garrisson when a player besieges an enemy city or spawns a garrisson when an enemy gets close (1 tile). This stopped bumrushing completely and forces the player to plan ahead like never before. Will such a feature be available in BC3? And if not, I think it would be a great feature to consider implementing/developing. Thnx!

Ciao!

BC already has got scripted garrisons in some (few) settlements. I've expanded it a bit further and I think the script will be included in upcoming patch.