Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Is Makuria supposed to start with no standing field army?
    I recall something about this before, but the lack of an army seems suspect since you begin at war with the ayyubids. There are maybe 2 units in your main city and another 2 in a castle to the west with 2 general characters at start and another unit in a 3rd city. It's pretty hardcore.......... I had to triple check the army tab to make sure i wasn't missing the usual half stack out in the field somewhere.

Add to this, there is a large rebel army right outside your border in Ayyubid territory packed full of makurian troops -- did this stack get accidentally changed to rebel, or did this somehow happen at game start?

I recommend the use of an Era system like the one RR/RC uses, which ties certain units to events so those units can be recruited only when they were created historically.

I also recommend the integration of the RC system. One thing that bugs me about BC is the AP crossbows and the completely random stats that units have. Armour seems pretty useless in the mod due to the sky-high attack numbers of many units. Point Blank is in the midst of creating a guide to the newest version of RC, which will allow anyone to calculate appropriate stats for any unit.

Also, generals should have their lifespans increased, as right now, besides making a very small difference to the growth rate of a settlement, they also die way too soon. (I'm playing 2.02. Apparently this was changed in 2.3.)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperiumiv View Post
    Please bump up all missile units. I realize that missiles have a limited effect upon heavy armor, however, BC missile units are truely useless.

Actually, seeing how low the armour numbers are, the missile attack numbers should be decreased.
    Last edited by k/t; July 21, 2011 at 07:28 PM.

From what I can see from the previews for BC2.3, you still have the old vanilla city/castle textures, why not upgrade them to nicer city/castle textures like in SS for example, with the much better looking Muslim (and Byzantine, Crusader) city/castle textures. That my biggest piece of advice. Also have you included Turkish Han's yet?

You are a good texturer? Please apply

Music is great but its obsessive repetition is annoying. Experienced as music underlying an Afghan campaign. I don't know if the music changes more in other factions' campaigns.

I'm Byzantium and I start with -50.000, is this done on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Numenorian View Post
    I'm Byzantium and I start with -50.000, is this done on purpose?
    Yes, it is intended

um why dont the makruian ( sorry for probobly misspelling) religous buildings convert it just says they give a 10% or 5% happiness boost
    dan da man wit da plan
    all hail the mighty money cheat

You have to build the higher ones to convert. That's true of all factions.

My problem is that I'm playing as the Kypchaks and I can't recruit any shamans, even from higher level religious buildings.

Rilsaur's Avatar Tiro

So I'm well into my Makuria campaign, and despite having very few military units in the field at the moment (Only about three half stacks spread throughout my territories, and only one of these are professional troops), I noticed my army upkeep is through the roof. I'm barely breaking even financially, and I couldn't figure out why, until I realized you pay a good 400-500 upkeep per turn on General's Bodyguards. I have a fair amount of generals for the size of my kingdom, not to mention NONE of my original generals have died yet (105 turns in). But this is extremely annoying that I'm going bankrupt from units that I essentially have no control over. I can't disband them, I can't suicide them, being the peace loving being I am and am not a war with anyone. Is there any way that I can lower or remove the upkeep cost on General's Bodyguards?

another thing, when can I recruit Priests and the like? Because I looked at the building browser for churches all the way up to the largest upgrade, and none of them say I can recruit priests. This is also a fairly pressing problem due to the religious unrest several areas of my kingdom.
    O merciful God, I have such need of Your mercy now. Not for myself, but for my knights, for this is truly their hour of need. Deliver them from their trials ahead and I will pay You a thousand fold with any sacrifice You ask of me. And if in Your wisdom, You should determine that sacrifice must be my life for theirs; so that they can once again taste the freedom that is so long been denied to them, I will gladly make that covenant. My death will have a purpose. I ask no more than that.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

In order to modify the upkeep you'd have to change proper entires in export_descr_unit.txt, and in order to modify generals' wages you'd have to modify entries in descr_character.txt.

If it comes to Makurian priest - there aren't any in 2.3, because we didn't have strat map characters of African appearance.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Rilsaur's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    In order to modify the upkeep you'd have to change proper entires in export_descr_unit.txt, and in order to modify generals' wages you'd have to modify entries in descr_character.txt.

If it comes to Makurian priest - there aren't any in 2.3, because we didn't have strat map characters of African appearance.
    so.....Makuria just doesn't get priests? that's imba. Should have just used regular European priest models then. Not that big a deal if they aren't African, at least they would still have access to the agent.
    O merciful God, I have such need of Your mercy now. Not for myself, but for my knights, for this is truly their hour of need. Deliver them from their trials ahead and I will pay You a thousand fold with any sacrifice You ask of me. And if in Your wisdom, You should determine that sacrifice must be my life for theirs; so that they can once again taste the freedom that is so long been denied to them, I will gladly make that covenant. My death will have a purpose. I ask no more than that.

It is a big deal, and that's why it was decided not to give priests to Makuria as long as there are no African models.

Rilsaur's Avatar Tiro

It's a big deal to who? don't tell me people care about race in a video game. especially a fan-made mod where the people making it are doing it in their own free time and may not have the tools or the time to make every detail perfect (although they have done a great job on BC!)
    anyway, another question....My king is 105 years old....is that normal.....It's freaking me out

Quote Originally Posted by Rilsaur View Post
    It's a big deal to who?
    To us, obviously, to the team. To whom you thought it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilsaur View Post
    anyway, another question....My king is 105 years old....is that normal.....It's freaking me out
    Yes, this is a bug and we are aware of it. It will be fixed sometime soon.

Rilsaur's Avatar Tiro

Alright, thanks for the info. will my king ever die naturally, or will I have to have him fall gloriously in battle for him to die

I assume he will at some point.

turkhorde's Avatar Foederatus

I think you should improve the future unit roster of the Seljuks of Rüm in a way that it will fit the timeline and region. If you ask me, we should abandon some of the heavy cavalry altogether and add more tribal Turkoman archers, preferably mounted. And yes, the faction shouldn't receive the janissaries for 3.0. Take note that the Turkish sultans of Anatolia kept more in touch with their Central Asian nomadic roots especially in the 13th century, but gradually adopted traditions, military tactics and culture from the neighbouring Byzantines and Arabs and to some extent -- Persians.

We will be working on Seljuks' rosters soon and if everything goes well, they will have different units in 2.4. Janissaries will be removed.

BC is mod-foldered, correct? I.E. can it be installed along with SS? I see many people have done so, so I assume it can.