Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Icon5 BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

Feel free to ask questions and post your suggestions about BC 2.3 and thing you would like to be introduced and/or improved in subsequent versions of the mod.

Below I'm copying previous FAQ, as it is still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraj View Post

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What's Broken Crescent basically about?

Broken Crescent is a modification that shifts the Total War game experience eastwards from the original M2TW map and portray the warring states of the medieval middle east in all its glory and color. Broken Crescent is about diversity and breaking the cultural mold, yet stays true to the Total War's promise of massive and beautiful battles and strategic warfare.

What are the minimum game requirements for playing Broken Crescent?

Broken Crescent will require a clean and uncorrupted install of Medieval 2: Total War + Kingdoms with patch 1.5 applied.

Does Broken Crescent install to it's own folder or does it overwrite vanilla data files?

Broken Crescent 1.0 will install to its own folder and all installed files will be kept isolated to the BC folder. No elements of the vanilla M2TW data directory will be over-written or changed. Broken Crescent can be played along side other mods as long as they are also self-contained and built for M2TW 1.3.

Is Broken Crescent focused on historical accuracy?

Yes and no. While historical accuracy is not our our 'raison d'etre' it is high on our priorities. However, we have no qualms with bypassing or 'enhancing' history for gameplay purposes. Our Golden Rule that is followed is that we are Historically Inspired, Historically Influenced, but not a historical imitation. All units and designs have a historical inspiration and influence, but are not sought to be pure imitations.

What are the religions present in Broken Crescent?

Islam, Orthodox Christianity, Catholicism, Hinduism, Paganism & Heresy.

What are the playable factions present in Broken Crescent?

Broken Crescent features 9 new playable Muslim factions, 5 new playable Christian factions and also the pagan Kypchaks and Hindu Rajputs. To learn more about our factions please go here and follow the links.

What is the center faction(s) for the Mod?

While there are certain "major" factions, there is no center or "main" faction in Broken Crescent, the cast of the mod being that of an ensemble.

Why are the Muslims so well armored?

The notion of the Muslims, or Saracens, wielding light sabers and running around in robes is one born out of romanticism and misconception, based largely upon the iconic figure of the region (The bedouin), much in the same way misconceptions are born out of Medieval Japan through identifying with the Samurai and Samurai Only.

The reality is that armor was in fairly plentiful use throughout the Middle East, particularly amongst the cavalry in which for a professional horsemen, mail was expected of them and lamellar included for the more wealthy. Some various examples are:
    • When fighting the Crusaders at Antioch during the First Crusade, an anonymous Christian participating in the First Crusade writes of 'three thousand who were called Agulani, who were afraid of neither sword, lances, arrows, nor any kind of arms, because they and their horses were covered with armor everywhere.' Osprey Verifies these as Azerbaijani Horsemen, being merely one part of the larger Seljuk dominion, and not even a very noteworthy region.
    • Fatimid Horsemen chose to fight with spear and sword and not with bow, and are commented to have been easily mistaken as Crusaders at a distance.
    • The Infantry of Khorasan, a region of North-Eastern Iran, were famous Infantrymen well capable in the siege. They fought as armored spearmen, and as armored infantry. It's said that they would advance with shield and bow, and be supported by spearmen - whether this is semantics, or that archers were armored enough to advance and be supported by spearmen instead of supporting spearmen is up to the reader.
    • Daylami were revered infantry originating from south of the Caspian, and were in use as mercenaries from India to North Africa. They fought much like Greek Hoplites or Roman Legionaries, forming a shield wall and throwing their javelins which doubled as spears.
    • Ghulams served as both heavy horse archers often utilizing metal or felt horse barding, or as heavy shock cavalry.
    • Many horsemen of the period, particularly Mamluks and Ghulams, were vain, and wished to flaunt their wealth and status through rich clothing. There was also the fact that a cloth covering over metal would be very helpful in the hot sun of the Near East. Many Crusaders took to the sight of no apparent mail meaning there was none, yet Byzantine as well as Muslim armor shows many examples of mail-lined clothing.
    • The common kit of many Muslim Horsemen during the era of Saladin would include mail along with various other weapons, with a lamellar hauberk atop the mail being for the rich.

There is also a long-standing tradition of dismounting to fight amongst the Arabs and Turks, as well as amongst the various East Christians of the Caucasus. This is in sharp contrast to Europe, where a knight being willing or happy to fight on foot is an exception and not the rule. It's rare enough that the Germans alone would become famous in Constantinople for it, with their Non-Norman French and Italian brethren holding enough of a bias to it that the Kingdom of Jerusalem would exempt knights from service where their horses could not take them, or where they had to fight on foot.

Suffice to say, there is much more context for Arab and Turkish cavalrymen to dismount and fight as armored infantry than there is for most knights to do so, yet it seems all mods of this period choose to feature at length many of their knights as dismounted swordsmen.

Does Broken Crescent feature new units with new skins and models?

Yes! Broken Crescent features over 260 new units with brand new skins and models created by master skinners and modellers AlphaDelta and Strelac. All the units are completely new and each faction features its own unique style and theme. Please follow the links from our faction thread here and check the first post of each faction thread to check out the amazing variety of warriors that populate the world of Broken Crescent.

What's Broken Crescent's campaign map like?

Broken Crescent features a brand new campaign map which spans from Anatolia and Egypt in the west to the lands of Transoxania and India in the east. It features stunning landscapes and sceneries with many new eastern lands to explore and conquer. For more information and/or screens of the campaign map go here.

Does Broken Crescent enhance the battle experience from vanilla?

Yes. Broken Crescent features a new unit stats structure by Strelac. Battles will be slower with more room for tactical maneuvers. Also Broken Crescent features GrandViz's (a member of BC!) Ultimate battle AI which is custom coded for BC and features better flanking, siege AI and better skirmishing AI.

Will Broken Crescent feature new music?

Yes. Broken Crescent will feature freshly made musical tracks for strat map & battle map made by our resident musician Aeranis. Expect new tracks that span Arabic, Turkic, Persian, Eastern Christian and Indian cultures.

What's Broken Crescent's Timescale and Time Frame?

The BC campaign starts at 1174 and ends at 1400. With 2 turns per years, each alternating turn being winter and summer and characters aging every 2 turns.

Previous BROKEN CRESCENT: Questions and Suggestions thread.
    Last edited by wudang_clown; June 23, 2014 at 01:53 PM.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

I would like to add that I couldn't configure the installer to choose an icon for the launch batch file. Just for the sake of aesthetics you can right-click on the desktop icon and in "properties" change the icon to the real thing - it's in mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\bcicon.ico
    Sorry for this small inconvenience.

my suggestion is for you to implement the stainless steel custom campaign map city/castle designs.
    they are very nice to look at and should not be difficult to implement for skilled modders like yourselves

What happened to koj mounted sergeants? They don't seem to be recruitable....
    This seems to be quite a racist comment. The Guals did a lot more than "wonder around pillaging";
    It's not as if they were a bunch of dirty, stinking, fatherless Huns.

Wudang this patch is compatible with SS and Rusichi?
    This patch is compatible with new Edu system for BC 2.02?
    This mod is using cities and castles new models or no if i have cities and castles mod and i copy this mod for BC 2.3 the BC is running?
    Last edited by tibu17; May 02, 2011 at 03:42 AM.

Looks so crisp and clean, and runs really well compared to other mods- great job WDClown and team.
    I have only played a few years as Oman to test it out but i did notice 2 things,
    1.1st mission was to open diplomatic relations with sejuks, from Oman without a boat to reach the sejuks in 5 turns would be pretty hard.
    2. The money script seemed odd, my budget showed a large deficit but my on hand cash amount kept improving. I might have missed something maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    What happened to koj mounted sergeants? They don't seem to be recruitable....
    They haven't been recruitable since BC 1. That's just a mistake. EDU and recruitment issues will be addressed in next version.
    Quote Originally Posted by tibu17 View Post
    Wudang this patch is compatible with SS and Rusichi?
    Yes, it is. 2.3 is mod-foldered, it doesn't alter any other mods.
    This patch is compatible with new Edu system for BC 2.02?
    I'm not sure. I've made few tiny changes in the EDU, they may affect gamegeek2's EDU.
    This mod is using cities and castles new models or no if i have cities and castles mod and i copy this mod for BC 2.3 the BC is running?
    No, it isn't. Strat map models of settlements are vanilla. But you may use Agart's models normally with 2.3, just like with any other mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by brownypoints View Post
    2. The money script seemed odd, my budget showed a large deficit but my on hand cash amount kept improving. I might have missed something maybe.
    What do you mean?

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

i ll make excellent submods compilations for 2.3

till version 3 players ll be happy i hope.all for ummah

To uninstall 2.2 BC there seems to be no uninstaller, What files must I manually delete to remove BC 2.2 ?

AFAIK it has no registry entries so it is enough if you simply delete the whole folder. The same applies to 2.3 actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeggy View Post
    To uninstall 2.2 BC there seems to be no uninstaller, What files must I manually delete to remove BC 2.2 ?
    This is a pic of all the files i see.

I dont see one file for BC, so i am unsure which to delete [pic in spoiler below]

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Zeggy View Post
    I dont see one file for BC, so i am unsure which to delete [pic in spoiler below]
    Just remove broken_crescent folder. The rest of files you see there are so small that it's no burden for your installation. If you are purist, however, just remove everything that relates to BC - as long as you do not remove things from /mods/broken_crescent_folder your 2.3 will work fine.

wudang this version is compatible with Alejandro Sanhes mod and retep mod?

Civis

i ask a stupid question and edited it forget this post
    Last edited by BAGRAT 7; May 02, 2011 at 08:35 AM.

Mr.Gorby's Avatar Semisalis

Hi, Has Installed the modes BC 2.3, but in an effort begin to play for some faction flies...
    [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack

it is necessary to look, there is problems beside other not english version?

I shall try the modes to install one more once..

PS. 18:48:17.578 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    18:48:17.578 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    18:48:17.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    18:48:17.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    18:48:17.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    18:48:17.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    18:48:17.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    18:48:17.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    18:49:05.687 [data.invalid] [error] Could not open UI! Vid mem 397368320

I shall carry this post here
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...01#post9493901
    Last edited by Mr.Gorby; May 02, 2011 at 11:59 AM.

michell's Avatar Tiro

Hi, shall I really uninstall BC 2.02 before installing 2.3? I like previous version and I have unfinished campaign here

mod is have music for cumans like altai kai and other kazakh and kyrgyz songs?

metsikhovne's Avatar Semisalis

will there be any EDU updates for 2.3?

wudang this version is compatible with Alejandro Sanhes mod and retep mod?
    If you mean Alejandro's event windows, then it should be compatible, though I'm not 100% sure. On the other hand, I'm quite sure Retep's submod needs some adjustment in order to work with 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gorby View Post
    Hi, Has Installed the modes BC 2.3, but in an effort begin to play for some faction flies...
    I'm sorry, but this is not the place to solve technical issues. Post your problem here, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by michell View Post
    Hi, shall I really uninstall BC 2.02 before installing 2.3? I like previous version and I have unfinished campaign here
    You can keep BC 2.02 on your HD if you wish, it won't interfere with 2.3.
    mod is have music for cumans like altai kai and other kazakh and kyrgyz songs?
    No, such songs are not included in 2.3. The soundtrack most likely won't be changed anymore, at least not in nearest future. Maybe for BC 3, I don't know. And what Kazakhs and Kyrgyzes have to do with Kypchaks?
    Quote Originally Posted by metsikhovne View Post
    will there be any EDU updates for 2.3?
    Yes, gamegeek2's most likely will prepare something, thought we can't say when.

Kazakhs are songs of kipchaks.
    their culture are mostly kipchak.

Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast