Thread: Real Photographs of Japanese Of The 1800's(Warrning Image Intensive)

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Default Real Photographs of Japanese Of The 1800's(Warrning Image Intensive)

All the photographs are taken by Felice Beato http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felice_Beato

This is how the Real Samurai's were and how there world was,so unlike the Hollywood image isn't it.
    -Yakonin in Ceremonial dress

Ninsoku in winter costume

Satsuma Samurai during Boshin war

Sumotori of wrestlers

Odowara

Ancient Armor

Women in winter dress

View Of The Tokaido

Samurai (look at the Squeaky Clean Armor)

More Samurai's

Curio shop

Northerners

Executioner

Harvest Time

Tattoes

Coolie

A Social Meal

Firemen Withe There Standards
    Last edited by Darkragnar; March 29, 2006 at 02:23 AM.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Colorization! Burn the heretic!

Seriously though, neat pictures. Especially the ones of just people.
    The New Conquests Mod for RTW:BI
    Conquer a whole new world.
    Development - Discussion
    PM me if you are interested.

very nice. I hope that the Iga will look mor like the 'ninsoku in winter costume'
    Wisdom is the one sword that cannot be broken, the sharpest mind can cleave anything but will stay sheathed for it cannot be dull.
    The strongest man uses words to neutralize an enemy, love to nourish, inevitably making the standards of life good.
    The fool uses wrath to stir chaos and disorder, hate to bring pain, inevitably causing destruction,and because of him the universe is made less

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Fantastic Pics
    morecuriousthanbold.com

They are fantasic images, talk about a great source .

A great source, but in my honest opinion...they look extremely doctored. for example, the excecutioner...unless it was staged?
    but great nonetheless.

Great Images, but something peculiar about those antiquity photos of Japan...does anyone else notice how incredibly dark it makes some of the skin?

Take the Tattoes for example. if the lower body is one tone, the face seems a very dark variation, and I did not recall the japanese to be so swarthy a people.

Thats because they are black and white photos :original: , any colour has been added afterwards.

aves's Avatar Military Historian

of course these are all untainted photos... none of them posed or costumed, like all the accurate pictures of native people's found in the 19th century... just because its old, doesn't make it accurate

Default Re: Real Photographs of Japanese Of The 1800's(Warrning Image Intensive)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga
    Great Images, but something peculiar about those antiquity photos of Japan...does anyone else notice how incredibly dark it makes some of the skin?

Take the Tattoes for example. if the lower body is one tone, the face seems a very dark variation, and I did not recall the japanese to be so swarthy a people.
    I guess i forgot about this thread

Ya thats one of the things i noticed, First i thought there face was tanned from all the labour they did compareing them with the samurai's faces which are kinda white , But thinking about it appears the photographers could also have added the colour in to make them look more miserable almost down right dredge's, since they have added in quite a bit of colour like blue etc.

The cloth's and the Facial Expressions are what intersts me the most, i mean u can hardly compare these Samurais from the present Hollywood movie image's, just look at there body mass the first time i saw them i thought how thin these people are compared to present day japanese, i guess there present day balanced diet has helped them alot.
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Default Re: Real Photographs of Japanese Of The 1800's(Warrning Image Intensive)

Quote Originally Posted by darkragnar
    The cloth's and the Facial Expressions are what intersts me the most, i mean u can hardly compare these Samurais from the present Hollywood movie image's, just look at there body mass the first time i saw them i thought how thin these people are compared to present day japanese, i guess there present day balanced diet has helped them alot.
    Are you talking about the Japanese that appeared in the movie? Or Japanese in daily life? Because ot me the Japanese in the pictures don't look much different in body size than the Japanese I worked during my 3 years of living in Osaka
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

O'brien the Protector's Avatar Lord of the Mannequins

theses are authentic? isnt that a backdrop behind a executioner, and isnta there a radial blur around the edges of the photograph?:

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    -(Under the patronage of the humble, yet all powerful Lord Sephiroth.)-Royal House of the Black Prince

Lord of the Mannequins~Protector of Happiness, Bishop of Liberty, Guard of Hypocracy, Patriarch of Duality,O'briantheProtector(OBP)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso
    Are you talking about the Japanese that appeared in the movie? Or Japanese in daily life? Because ot me the Japanese in the pictures don't look much different in body size than the Japanese I worked during my 3 years of living in Osaka
    actually i was refering to both,
    but come now the body mass of the average japanese has surly risen from 150 years ago , there are even changes from the WWII era japanese to the present day japanese, now days there diet being supplimented by more then just fish has helped them to be more healthy since there body recieves more nutirents, protiens and fibers.
    Its the same thing in India where the diffrence from 2-3 generations back is considerable, the mojority(80%) of Indian people were Vegitarian's even till the 50's after which a surge happend in non vegitarianism and it shows just take a man from 100 years and make him stand to a man from the present and ull see the diffrence.
    These faces look Haggard to me compared to these.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

well yeah.. I guess when compared like that they do!
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer