Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Visit Romania!

ciprianrusu's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Visit Romania!

A facebook page with a lot of great pictures from Romania.
    http://www.facebook.com/discover.romania?sk=photos
    I trust I make myself obscure.
    Nihil Sine Deo

RS Legion Organizer Tool
    Visit Romania! A land of beauty and culture!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Retezat Mountains.

Visit Romania!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Transfagarasan Highway

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Do they speak english in Romania? A friend of mine just visit Costanta and left with the worst impressions.

He told me:
    1)Very few people speak english and even those few don't speak them well. He went to Costanta by car from Athens and when asking for directions the locals just stare at him and couldn't help him. Same situation in the stores he went.

2)All the signs in the roads were only in romanian. There were no english signs. How come being a member of the EU?

3)He stayed at a luxury hotel in Costanta and the food there was tasteless. Even in the hotel they barely speak english.

4)On the way back home in the borders between Romania and Bulgaria a Romanian cop didn't give him his papers back unless he payed him 50 euro! My friend was forced to give him the money to have his papers back. WTF?

I would like to visit the country because of the beautiful landscape but now I'm giving it a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by michailangelo View Post
    Do they speak english in Romania? A friend of mine just visit Costanta and left with the worst impressions.

He told me:
    1)Very few people speak english and even those few don't speak them well. He went to Costanta by car from Athens and when asking for directions the locals just stare at him and couldn't help him. Same situation in the stores he went.

2)All the signs in the roads were only in romanian. There were no english signs. How come being a member of the EU?

3)He stayed at a luxury hotel in Costanta and the food there was tasteless. Even in the hotel they barely speak english.

4)On the way back home in the borders between Romania and Bulgaria a Romanian cop didn't give him his papers back unless he payed him 50 euro! My friend was forced to give him the money to have his papers back. WTF?

I would like to visit the country because of the beautiful landscape but now I'm giving it a second thought.
    Of course we do. I went to Constanta a month ago for a full weekend, it was an enjoyable experience.

1) Not everyone speaks English, so that's quite bad luck to stumble upon those who did not know.

2) There's no need for them to be in English, it won't make much of a difference when it comes to the place names. Constanta in English will still be Constanta.

3) That's quite a weird aspect. Luxury hotels in Romania have trained staff who speak proper English.

4) Unfortunately, corruption is existent, like in every other country. I was stopped twice by the police, once going, once returning, and both times they were professional and gave me back the papers without a problem.

Nevertheless, I hope you'll visit and see for yourself. If you want tips on where to go, don't hesitate to ask.

Mamaia, Black Sea

(picture taken with a mobile phone by a friend of mine)

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by michailangelo View Post
    A little advice, purely by logic: Try to ask younger people, not older ones. When I was in Romania some 10 years ago, I also had a somewhat hard time communicating with people (thank goodness we had some English-speaking friends there anyway), but that's mostly because we spoke mostly with middle-to-older-generation people. While, somewhat similarly to my country, almost every young person today knows English (sometimes well enough, sometimes not so much), but the same can't always be said for their parents and grandparents.

Indefinitely Banned

Hello, I am from Bistrita and more works by visting as Hotel Castel Dracula, and Bistrita was a saxon city named Bistritz: this city is famous for poet Andrei Muresan,

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Adisor Norvegianu View Post
    Bistrita was a saxon city named Bistritz[I]
    It has very cute Slavic name.
    Has signatures turned off.

Autumn shots Taken from http://www.facebook.com/273.ro

Maramures

Bilbor Mountains - http://regiuneabilbor.ro/

Great collection!
    I have been there many times. I'll try to dig up some old pictures from the pre-digital era.

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    It has very cute Slavic name.
    that's because it is slavic. the town is named after the lower part of the river bistrita/repedea.

Romania is penned in as one of the many places I need to visit before I die.

Indefinitely Banned

Hello, hello at all world! I returns to Total War Center with next news: if one between yours has address by Facebook, entered on Facebook and searched Rad, Bianca, is first on list from search the persons and post replies abou she on TWCenter on Visit Romania!!!!!!!!!!!!! with regards Adisor Norvegianu.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    4) Unfortunately, corruption is existent, like in every other country. I was stopped twice by the police, once going, once returning, and both times they were professional and gave me back the papers without a problem.
    Corruption? That's the kind of thing you'd expect in Colombia or Russia, not in the EU. If someone did that in France or Britain there'd be a national scandal. Just how bad is this 'corruption'? Was it one unfortunate incident, or is it widespread?
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Indefinitely Banned

[QUOTE=Copperknickers II;10494089]Corruption? That's the kind of thing you'd expect in Colombia or Russia, not in the EU. If someone did that in France or Britain there'd be a national scandal. Just how bad is this 'corruption'? Was it one unfortunate incident, or is it widespread?, Corruption is very great in Romania.
    Last edited by Adisor Norvegianu; October 21, 2011 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Corruption? That's the kind of thing you'd expect in Colombia or Russia, not in the EU. If someone did that in France or Britain there'd be a national scandal. Just how bad is this 'corruption'? Was it one unfortunate incident, or is it widespread?
    Corruption, IMHO, is not as widespread as it was 10 years ago when it was omnipresent. Nowadays serious efforts have been made to curb this but it still is somewhat widespread throughout the whole country.

Do they have their own currency? or using the euro?

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

romania isn't in the euro zone yet (thank god). the national currency is the romanian leu. one euro is worth about 4,3 lei. while 1 dollar is about 3,1 lei.

Basarabia is Romanian!

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Do they have their own currency? or using the euro?
    As Florin87 said above me, we have our own currency called the Romanian Leu - RON.

Plans for Euro are definitely in place, some sources say perhaps 2015.