Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who else thinks Hollywood is creatively bankrupt?

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Default Who else thinks Hollywood is creatively bankrupt?

I'm telling you, I think Hollywood has hit ROCK BOTTOM in the creativity department. For every original film that comes out (Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean), there's at least 10 sub-par clones or crappy remakes. Every horror film is a remake of a Japanese horror flick (The Ring, The Grudge) and the WW2 films either suck or simply fall short of Saving Private Ryan (The Greatest Raid, Pearl Harbor, Hart's War). As for the comic book movies, they're either hit or miss.

Pink Panther - What the hell was wrong with Peter Sellers' classic? This remake is a travesty. For one thing, Steve Martin hasn't been funny since Three Amigos. On top of all that, they just threw in some random rap star as a supporting actress.

Dukes of Hazzard - Okay, so I suppose that casting Jessica Simpson makes it all better, right?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Again, it ain't broke so don't fix it. Gene Wilder was funny, but Johnny Depp is just creepy as Willy Wonka.

The Longest Yard, Taxi... I can go on and on with these remakes. I'm coming to the conclusion that the better films tend to be from independent studios or from foreign countries now. The last good WW2 movies I've seen were Tae Guk Gi (from South Korea) and Saints & Soldiers (independent film).

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

No, definately not true. There are as many good movies coming out these days as there ever have been (has been? grammer blows) People just think that movies from the past are better because only the good films are remembered, while the bad ones forgotten. Comparing the great older movies, making up maybe 5% of major hollywood productions, to all the current movies is unfair.

And the same applies to foreign and independent films. Yes there definately really good ones, but also really bad ones. Guess what happens to those? They stay foreign and independent.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Horror movies, at least a large number of them today, are terrible. Practically every one that has come out is so obnoxious it makes me want to laugh (When a stranger calls), or as you've commented, have the exact same premise, with bimbos who are hired to act scared. Then there are ones like SAW or Hostel, which are just like tuning in to watch a torture tape from some third world nation. Honestly, can someone explain to me why people get off on watching purely gut films like that? It honestly just strikes me as pure sadism. The difference between a fan of the violent Saving Private ryan and a fan of the violence in Hostel is like the Roman watching a gladiator fight another gladiator and the Roman watching someone tied to a post getting torn apart by a lion.

Ranting aside, it really depends on your view of movies. To me, all these Date movies, Horror movies, and pissant comedies that my agegroup flock to are a sign of Holywood's pitiful nature. But we have Brokeback Mountain (never saw it), Walk the Line (never saw it), and a bunch of other movies I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

Mango brings up a good point with the good movies being remembered and the bad ones being forgotten.
    Last edited by Ahiga; February 25, 2006 at 02:50 AM.

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Moved to the Bibliotheca
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

Tae Guk Gi (from South Korea) is a fine film, but it's set during the Korean war. I think the film industry in America is getting far far behind, I've seen good movies coming out of China, France and the UK though.
    Member of S.I.N."Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson
    Agnosticism, a personal relationship with common sense.
    “We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes” Gene Roddenberry quote
    Under the Patronage of Squeakus Maximus.

"Pink Panther - What the hell was wrong with Peter Sellers' classic? This remake is a travesty. For one thing, Steve Martin hasn't been funny since Three Amigos. On top of all that, they just threw in some random rap star as a supporting actress."

What does Beyonce Knowles have to do with rap? I dont know how anyone can confuse what she does with rap, it doesnt even sound alike.

Everything else I agree with you on pretty much, especially the Depp as Willy Wonka thing being creepy...man that remake sucked donkey balls, I dont know why people would prefer it over the original.

I know that defense of Beyonce is for the boob factor, however the vocal harmonys are identical to rap, the "instrumental" parts created electronically. It's quite simular. She should stick to that though, she can't act.
    Member of S.I.N."Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson
    “We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes” Gene Roddenberry quote

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Willy Wonka? I loved Johnny Depp's scariness, personally. In the new one Wonka was actually a character with some sort of depth (well, not really). Gene Wilder just recited crazy rhymes and said "sorry, what did you say?". Don't get me wrong, I loved the sheer randomness, but I preferred the Depp randomness.

And the kids in the new one were better - especially Mike Teeve (how can you not know a kid like that? Hell, I used to be one) and Violet Beauregarde.
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Quote Originally Posted by Honeohvovohaestse
    Tae Guk Gi (from South Korea) is a fine film, but it's set during the Korean war. I think the film industry in America is getting far far behind, I've seen good movies coming out of China, France and the UK though.
    Yeah, I know it's set in the Korean War. But I just see their uniforms, BAR's, M-1's, and F4U Corsairs and think "WW2."

And yes, I'll agree that we only remember the good films. I can just picture our kids or grandkids saying, "Man, today's movies suck. Hollywood has really gone downhill since the 00's. They had Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter."

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Honeohvovohaestse
    I know that defense of Beyonce is for the boob factor, however the vocal harmonys are identical to rap, the "instrumental" parts created electronically. It's quite simular. She should stick to that though, she can't act.

That has nothing to do with rap. House music and electronica and trance music also has electronically generated production, does that mean they are like rap too?

Beyonce does pop and R&B...thats it. She might date and hang around rappers, but she doesnt know how to rap. If you want to see what a real female M.C. looks and sounds like, check out Lauryn Hill in her Fugee days.

Thanks for totally ignoring the vocal harmonys. :laughing:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an awesome movie.
    I sin for the good of humankind
    "I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength."
    -Nietzsche
    Truth is not a law, a democracy, a book or a norm not even a constitution. Nor can it be read in the stars.

shadowarmy75's Avatar Biarchus

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an awesome movie.
    And the fact that it has Michael Jackson in it makes it even better.

Wtf is a vocal harmony? I listen to rap man, I dont know what that is. You mean like...Bone thugs N Harmony, or something like that? They probably got this "vocal harmony" that you speak of.

And Michael Jackson was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Stop lying man, no he wasnt. Was he? I watch that movie all the time, theres the German fat kid, the snobby rich girl, the loud cowboy kid...and I don't remember seeing a black kid with an afro in there.

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA
    Wtf is a vocal harmony? I listen to rap man, I dont know what that is. You mean like...Bone thugs N Harmony, or something like that? They probably got this "vocal harmony" that you speak of.

And Michael Jackson was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Stop lying man, no he wasnt. Was he? I watch that movie all the time, theres the German fat kid, the snobby rich girl, the loud cowboy kid...and I don't remember seeing a black kid with an afro in there.
    The vocal harmony is everything from the Bone thugs thing who try to do it with more....taste? If that's possible in rap, to the non-sensical "HUH WHAT, YO!" in the "gangsta" genre.

Regardless, I wouldnt compare Beyonce to even Bone Thugs...

I would compare Beyonce with other bublegum teeny boppers like britney, christina, ashanti, mandy moore, hillary duff, etc...etc...

Regardless, I wouldnt compare Beyonce to even Bone Thugs...

I would compare Beyonce with other bublegum teeny boppers like britney, christina, ashanti, mandy moore, hillary duff, etc...etc...
    I said it has the same elements, I wouldn't mention it with rap. :laughing: In my opinion it's comparable to Hillary Duff or Mandy Moore. The image she presents is also comparable, as she has "Christian values".

WHAT are those elements though? Why would you even mention Beyonce and Rap in the same sentence, thats what I wanna know. She's never rapped anything in her life, she sings...

WHAT are those elements though? Why would you even mention Beyonce and Rap in the same sentence, thats what I wanna know. She's never rapped anything in her life, she sings...
    She does rap or sing, she speaks in a rythmic pattern. (Sorry I'm a musician). I named the elements, and I wouldn't mention them in the same sentence normal, but to say they're totally unrelated is incorrect. Just like to a normal listener Jazz and Heavy metal have little in common, in actuality they've a lot in common.

A lot of musical artists speak their lyrics in a rhythmic pattern, that doesnt mean that theyre rapping though. Just how spoken word is not really rap, poetry is not really rap.

Hell, if thats true, then Stevie Nicks is a M.C. too, because in her song Edge of Seventeen she sings her lyrics very rhythmically as well. Does Stevie Nicks know anything about rap in real life? Hell no...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast