Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Impressions From The Battlefield

Default Re: Impressions From The Battlefield

Virodunum, Mettis, Namur, Otralum, Turnacum and Viroviacum
    Ah, Reno, those are names I remember well from my arduous DoS campaign against the Franks. Please keep us informed of the campaign. I'm very curious as to how your elite 'SAS' army fares. I had terrible difficulty in maintaining good quality troops in the field due to long lines of supply and casualties.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

eeeeeexcellent!! That's quite an epic campaign!!

Great job Theramines! What about a new campaign with a different faction?

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Pictavia (final)

Campaign finished in 497AD. Victory conditions met.
    As mentioned in my previous AAR I had a problem with too many family members costing too much money to maintain. I adopted the age-old solution of imperialism and the settlements immediately south of Hadrian's Wall suffered a Pict invasion. The Anglos received the most attention and lost a couple of regions after a war of attrition. Both Ebrauc and Ystrad Clut also lost regions. Ystrad finally saw the light and offered peace in the 480s. They started loitering armies in my regions in the 490s so I took another region off them and they offered peace again.

The settlements south of the Wall were difficult to hold and the garrisons were steadily increased turn by turn until I would sometimes let them rebel and then put them to the sword. I had to pay for such massive garrisons through conquest and plunder.
    I tried two different methods of settlement pacification with varying success. The first is to destroy every single alien building and rebuild the settlement more or less from scratch. Requires expensive garrisons and building programs.
    The second is to preserve the buildings and replace them in stages until the settlement has evolved into your own. Requires a smaller garrison but provides little benefit for years.
    I don't know which is more cost-efficient. Probably the first option.

The last pic below shows the first battle against Aenglolund. Curadha and Merc Germanics form the front rank; archers the second; more Curadha the third, along with Pict Fanatical Warriors. Amua Boa (spelling?) along with light cavalry are hiding in the woods (off screen) behind the Anglos' left flank.
    \

Wonderful. Congratulations. The first time I have seen a victory screen with this mod
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Thanks guys!

I'll do a Germanic faction now, a strong infantry one because I dislike micro-managing cavalry and skirmishers.

edit: started a Jutes campaign.
    Last edited by Theramines; December 30, 2013 at 04:27 AM.

Pictavia (final)

Campaign finished in 497AD. Victory conditions met.
    As mentioned in my previous AAR I had a problem with too many family members costing too much money to maintain. I adopted the age-old solution of imperialism and the settlements immediately south of Hadrian's Wall suffered a Pict invasion. The Anglos received the most attention and lost a couple of regions after a war of attrition. Both Ebrauc and Ystrad Clut also lost regions. Ystrad finally saw the light and offered peace in the 480s. They started loitering armies in my regions in the 490s so I took another region off them and they offered peace again.

The settlements south of the Wall were difficult to hold and the garrisons were steadily increased turn by turn until I would sometimes let them rebel and then put them to the sword. I had to pay for such massive garrisons through conquest and plunder.
    I tried two different methods of settlement pacification with varying success. The first is to destroy every single alien building and rebuild the settlement more or less from scratch. Requires expensive garrisons and building programs.
    The second is to preserve the buildings and replace them in stages until the settlement has evolved into your own. Requires a smaller garrison but provides little benefit for years.
    I don't know which is more cost-efficient. Probably the first option.

The last pic below shows the first battle against Aenglolund. Curadha and Merc Germanics form the front rank; archers the second; more Curadha the third, along with Pict Fanatical Warriors. Amua Boa (spelling?) along with light cavalry are hiding in the woods (off screen) behind the Anglos' left flank.

Thanks guys!

I'll do a Germanic faction now, a strong infantry one because I dislike micro-managing cavalry and skirmishers.

edit: started a Jutes campaign.
    Excellent campaign Theramines! It is the hope that this option is utilized most ofen: ''The second is to preserve the buildings and replace them in stages until the settlement has evolved into your own. Requires a smaller garrison but provides little benefit for years.'' Theramines. The more primal factions like the Saxons and Angli are probably a little more pillage and plunder at their campaign start. Thank you for sharing
    Last edited by Riothamus; December 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Jutes Campaign (h/h, large unit sizes).

The Jutes start with an awesome army but an economy so poor that my only (interesting) option was to throw that army into raiding and warfare asap. I won't give away what the deficit and final debt were, but they were sobering and I wavered more than once in my commitment to keep playing the faction. I suppose I could have disbanded the army and slowly built up, but that's clearly not the point of this faction.
    Now after 5 years of warfare and pillage along the South East coast of Britain, the army has been reduced to a single, weakened stack and my economy is producing a surplus every turn. The problem is my debt ballooned out and it will take some time to get back into the black. For now I need to cling to my conquests and conserve my remaining strength until I can start building an economy.
    Poor old SE Britain has truly suffered with every settlement from Seole to Durobrivis besieged and pillaged and then had their assets stripped and sold along with part of their populations. Regnum Brit, Saexenae, and the Concilium have all been monstered by bloodthirsty Jutes and their dread ships.

Battle of Garingas vs Saexonae, 455AD. (part 1)

The Saxons had sallied forth after being besieged. Their first attack wave dashed in vain against the Jute shieldwall. They regroup and throw themselves forward again, but have already suffered heavy casualties and quickly break and flee again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jut3.JPG   jut2.JPG   jut1.JPG  

Battle of Garingas vs Saexonae, 455AD. (part 2)

The Saxons flee into the village square. The Jutes send in their Scyldings (heavy melee infantry) to finish them off, while the infantry of the shieldwall rest. The Saxons fight long and bravely but eventually the last few are cut down and the Jutes celebrate another victory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jut4.JPG   jut5.JPG   jut6.JPG  

one day's Avatar Semisalis

Good shots, Theramines ! Only..the battle pictures look better without too big flags.

Battle of Durobrivis vs Concilium, winter 456-57AD.

In late 456 the Jutes under their faction heir had besieged Durobrivis. His original plan to attack Londonium had been thwarted by the heavy concentration of Concilium and Saxon troops in the area. Durobrivis was in effect the consolation prize. It was crucial too, for the Jute raiding army had, through attrition, been reduced to 2,200 men. Its strength was good for one last major battle. Thereafter, the Jute High King would be forced to settle and build an economy in order to lift the burden of his huge debt.

The Concilium garrison sallied out, supported by a field army despatched from Londonium area. Some 4,500 men against the Jutes' 2,200. The Jute commander forms the shieldwall into an arrow head to combat the Concilium attack from two directions. So reduced are the numbers of spearmen for the shieldwall that a few units of Scyldings - sword infantry- are used to lengthen the line of the Jutes.
    The attack is heavy, but the shieldwall holds. The Concilium garrison levies and Miles are no match for the veterans of almost five years of raiding and warfare. Scyldings and heavy cavalry swing around the flanks of the arrowhead and roll up the wavering Concilium attackers.
    The Concilium army breaks and hundreds flee in all directions. The Scyldings and surviving Jute cavalry wearily pursue and hack down over a thousand. The battle is over.

The Jutes lost over 600 men, while the Concilium lost over 2,900 battle casualties and another 1,000 prisoners, who were eventually executed. Durobrivis fell and was sacked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jut7.JPG   jut8.JPG   jut9.JPG   jut10.JPG   jut11.JPG  

Thanks, one day!

Only..the battle pictures look better without too big flags.
    I agree very much. I need the flags in battle, though. I use a laptop and the graphics are pretty poor and it's really difficult to distinguish units without flags. I post the pics to illustrate the story, rather than provide eye candy.

Going to install this again when I get back to my pc, probably will get some screenies showcasing the mod.
    炸鸡

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Going to install this again when I get back to my pc, probably will get some screenies showcasing the mod.
    looking forward to seeing them!
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Jutes Campaign (cont)

In the late 450s the army - thus its costs - had been whittled away sufficiently through attrition to produce a surplus and begin reducing the enormous, daunting debt that had accrued. By 460 I finally had a credit balance and could spend money. Alas, the Saexones wanted to be the bad guys in this story so I've had to spend big on recruitment and retraining. The campaign now took on a new character. The jolly seaborne raiding and pillage of the early 450s had by the 460s morphed into a hard-fought defense of the triangle of land south-east of Londinium.
    I preserved the Romano buildings of Durobrivis and Cantwarabyric: building and the process of assimilation is slow, because of the costs of maintaining a field army.
    The Saexones have repeatedly marched west from the Channel coast, and have repeatedly been defeated in the field, along with occasional Consilium and Regnum armies via the Londinium region. The field army doubles as the garrisons for turbulent Durobrivis and Cantwarabyric and so offensive operations into Saexone territory aren't possible for now.
    My precious veterans of the 450s have perished save a few dozen. The replacements: Hundradeflocc and Mercenary Infantry, supplemented by rare Scyldingas, Angonweoperas and light cavalry transported all the way from Jutland have acquitted themselves well against the Saexones and barely sufficed against the others. The few mercenary Germanics and Bowmen in the area are recruited as soon as they are available.
    In 463 new buildings have allowed me to recruit Fransiska Mercenaries. These compare well to Mercenary Germanics, so in time will replace the Hundradeflocc and Mercenary Infantry. The fleets continue to transport small batches of Scyldingas, Angonweoperas and light cavalry from Jutland, though the Scyldingas in particular cost big money and drain the treasury even as they make the long voyage across the North Sea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jutcarta1.JPG   jutcarta2.JPG   jut12.JPG   jut15.JPG  
    Last edited by Theramines; January 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks for keeping up your constant campaign reports Theramines.

Their interesting and also usefull to us developers.

Good stuff folks . Think I'll continue my Llydaw campaign after a 2 month hiatus.

Although your pics make me want to play my Germanic brethren again Theramines

I have only one tip when playing IB2 from my past experience which started when I first got m2tw which I installed Africa Vandalorum on almost immediately.

It was years and years ago... (Not really, I really started with TW in general just last year)

I remember the pretty flowers...

and the wimmenz folks...

Make it multiple tips...

BURN (everything)

CLEANSE (everything)

KILL (everything)

Rinse and repeat.

...and on the seventh day I called it a real day and ate fried chicken for breakfast lunch n' dinnuh.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; January 15, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
    炸鸡

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    I have only one tip when playing IB2 from my past experience which started when I first got m2tw which I installed Africa Vandalorum on almost immediately.

It was years and years ago... (Not really, I really started with TW in general just last year)

I remember the pretty flowers...

and the wimmenz folks...

Make it multiple tips...

BURN (everything)

CLEANSE (everything)

KILL (everything)

Rinse and repeat.

...and on the seventh day I called it a real day and ate fried chicken for breakfast lunch n' dinnuh.
    LMAO!!!!

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

I'm so close to installing CB yet so far... At least it's only 200 miles away...

Any faction suggestions for epic roflstomping?
    炸鸡