Thread: Realistic Cavalry Charges?

Default Realistic Cavalry Charges?

Hey, this might be a dumb request but I really want to know if its possible to take the cavalry and allow them to do their charge through multiple groups of units. Imagine a skill that when you select it, your cavalry will charge forward in a straight line for a certain distance and charge through units as if they were charging into 1 unit but only without stopping. I have had many encounters where I would charge but my cavalry would stop once they hit the first unit which is very unrealistic.
    I admit that the idea of this came from me watching lord of the rings again. In the Return of the King, the cavalry charge that Rohan does is what I'm looking for. It could be done by only certain cavalry units and could have a long cooldown so it could be used only once in each battle because it would be pretty powerful.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Realistic Cavalry Charges?

Ummm I think this is sort of already possible by just ordering the calvary to move behind the unit, the trouble is that if the unit you are trying to pass is a dense formation it will stop the calvary on its tracks. I think the ability you describe can be created if is possible to change the mass of the units on the fly, but if that is not made carefully you can end up having the calvary in the position of the artillery, making unstoppable charges against multiple enemy units, akin to a bullet going trough several layers of wood. So they will be more like living projectiles.

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Realistic Cavalry Charges?

You can run through maybe 2-3 units by positioning your cavalry, then charging a unit behind another. Provided they're close together, Cavalry should go straight through