Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: ***** Announcement and Recruitment - Colonialism 1600 *****

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Re: ***** Announcement and Recruitment - Colonialism 1600 *****

Quote Originally Posted by Fortes View Post
    That's why I've used the "" , officially we were independent but well that was just officially, being obliged to fight the Dutch and the consequent lose of the colonies was the reason that made us expel Philip II.
    Philip III of Portugal/IV of Spain you mean.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Philip III of Portugal/IV of Spain you mean.
    herm... yeah

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

murder_mayhem's Avatar Miles

Hey husserl, sent you a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Asian Qaghan View Post
    My condolences to any Muslims hurt in this attack.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Portugal didn't have an independent foreign-policy and was forced to fight the.. English, including in the Spanish Armada of 1588.
    An exception to the rule. The sole exception, the year 1588.
    By the way, the History of the Dutch empire in the year 1600 is definitely not an history of true independence.
    In 1608, the southern areas were given a form of self-government under Albert of Austria who had married the Infanta Isabella (Philip II's daughter). He governed under the title of governor-general. Spanish troops remained in the southern regions and Albert and Isabella had to respect Spanish wishes.
    Only in March 1609, a twelve year truce gave the United Provinces international recognition.

Portugal was forced to fight the Dutch
    No, Portugal was not forced to fight the Dutch. In fact, the Portuguese had no obligation to fight outside the borders of their own kingdom and empire. Portugal was not truly dependent of Spain; Portugal simply had a Spanish Habsburg king. The union was personal rather than administrative.

The reverse of fortunes contrary to popular belief, was not occasioned by Spanish influence.

For CR Boxer, the most prolific historian of the past century in the field, the reasons for Portugal imperial decline were more simple, sic: "the superior economic resources, superior manpower, superior firepower" of the Dutch.
    Ther year 1663 marked an important watershed in the history of the Estado da India; for the loss in that year of Cochin is generally considered the death knell for Portuguese power in Asia. However, in the last last three decades of the 17th century a significant rehabilitation campaign took place in Portuguese Asia, ans the second half of the 17th century witness a rehabilitation of Portuguese power in Brazil.

The Portuguese imperial history should not be submitted to a myopic fragmentation. As Russel-Wood has put it,

" The Portuguese seaborne empire has been victim of historiographical fragmentation and has also been the victim of overzealous atempts at periodization"
    In fact, the history of the Spanish Empire in the New World does not include the history of Portuguese America. The history of the Spanish Philippines does not include the history of the Estado da India, and history of the Spanish Empire does not include the history of the Portuguese Africa.
    I never saw any mention of a Spanish empire in Asia and Brazil and India, ca.1500-1700.
    ---

Part of the reason for the revolt in 1640 was that Spain was appointing Spaniards to administer Portugal
    Exactly. Also because Olivares requested that Portugal provide troops for deployment in Italy- and against Catalonia, and the Portuguese refused.

and that wouldn't happen in an independent country
    The fact remains that it didn´t happen.
    Last edited by Ludicus; May 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

NEPTUNO's Avatar Decanus

How are you going to solve the ships issue? I mean lack of XVII century models.
    Last edited by NEPTUNO; May 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
    α DEUS MARIA ω

NEPTUNO's Avatar Decanus

We do not know yet. Thank you for your interest. I am answering myself.
    α DEUS MARIA ω

Quote Originally Posted by NEPTUNO View Post
    How are you going to solve the ships issue? I mean lack of XVII century models.
    Sorry, too busy with mod... You can do nothing about ships models. However many existing models where used this period of time (e.g. galleons, some ships of the line, etc.). Probably we'll have available only those that fit (or they are very close) to the mod date and the rest will be available very late in game, while some like steam boats will be restricted completely. In any case it is too soon talking about ships. This which I can tell for the moment is that will be present many famous vessels of the period.

NEPTUNO's Avatar Decanus

Nice answer thank you.
    α DEUS MARIA ω

madrush's Avatar Senator

Will the Jacobites from my mod b in this too???!!!???

I'd like to join in. I can edit the db tables and test units.

Quote Originally Posted by madrush View Post
    Will the Jacobites from my mod b in this too???!!!???
    Ask Pom for that...

Quote Originally Posted by J.Philp View Post
    I'd like to join in. I can edit the db tables and test units.
    I'll PM you.

Hi, I'd like to join the team. I was planning to do a mod like this but then noticed yours. I can test the mod and I can mod esf pretty well, also, I have some ideas of mine for in-game mechanics like a banking system and corsairs.

EDIT: I can do some 2D artwork to, especially small like building icons and ui buttons.

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

Nice Idea, been waiting for a 17th century mod! I don't have enough time to help with much, but could suggest some 17th century music a little later down the line?

Will this have missions whereby the colonial protectorates like the London Company can come under the direct rule of England? In the same way that the Thirteen Colonies mission works in Empire? I think that would be a nice feature.

That is difficult because England will have 5 colonial protectorates and will have a great advantage.

I suppose that would be historically accurate since the English did come to dominate North America and India later on and become the great colonial power. As someone who likes to play as England I would enjoy trying to complete those objectives. Perhaps they could be difficult to complete so it doesn't happen quickly. Alternatively, you could just make it so that they only can acquire 2 or 3 of the protectorates through missions - maybe the North American ones.

i support the idea of jp1747...
    think that would be great.. also a release would be great
    Leader of Colonialism Total War
    Thread with first Preview
    First Youtube Trailer

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rohan97 View Post
    WHAT THE DUTH WERE IN NEW YORK YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE THE ENLISH WERE IN NEW YORK

after the Dutch sold it to them yes!

And Husser i have done some history studies on the dutch university. and i'm a dutch militarist so maybe i can help ? pm me.

Looks great you must be a busy guy with all these mods keep it up good job.

nice plan! i wil help testing if you need people.
    new york was from holland in 1600
    ceylon was from holland and not from portugal
    you must make the indian factions pretty mighty or the companys will over run them
    and denmark never had colonies in india