Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast

Thread: ***** Announcement and Recruitment - Colonialism 1600 *****

Default Re: ***** Announcement and Recruitment - Colonialism 1600 *****

A 17th century mod for Empire was one of my wishes for quite a while. Unfortunately no existing mods or WIPS have really shown that they are good enough for me to sunk countless hours in. Either they are too early in development or abandoned altogether. Though I can surely see two good mods coming out sooner or later, anyway

When I saw the models on ModDB I was in awe. I was pretty much awkwardly cheering, especially when I saw that early musketeers actually use musket firing sticks!
    It made my day, however, I still have a few burning questions in mind:

First of all - I see you are making use of Adrian's models? Aw yeah! Will all of them be used or just some? I'd really like to see his black cuirassiers and his models of generals make it into your mod. Will they be in?

Secondly, how will the mod play out? It is after all called colonialism and does feature new colonies, which I must say I'm not that interested in. Will we have the standard map of Europe too?

What factions will be in?

Will you have scripts for military reforms?

And frankly, a big thing for me - the vanilla 18th century style interface, advisors, buildings, houses and other props on the battlefield, among other 18th century things. Will they be edited? Can they be edited at all?

Do you need help with research?

Is there a roughly estimated date for the beta?

Thanks in advance and good luck!
    Last edited by YourStepDad; October 01, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by YourStepDad
    It made my day, however, I still have a few burning questions in mind:

First of all - I see you are making use of Adrian's models? Aw yeah! Will all of them be used or just some? I'd really like to see his black cuirassiers and his models of generals make it into your mod. Will they be in?
    Well at present its case-by-case. I have asked Adrian to join the team and consider merging the two mods so we can use all his models but that is up to him.
    Secondly, how will the mod play out? It is after all called colonialism and does feature new colonies, which I must say I'm not that interested in. Will we have the standard map of Europe too?
    Yes it will but there will be colonial trading company factions too and the campaign map will be as close as possible to the international situation in 1600.
    What factions will be in?
    I think there is a list on the OP.
    Will you have scripts for military reforms?
    Not yet possible. Long term we want to edit the tech-tree to bring it in line with the 17th century. However we can sometimes emulate the technological-situation with new equipment themes e.g. I have made an arquebus equipment theme so arquebusier infantry has a slower rate of fire, poorer range etc. , also by making the bayonet unavailsble as a melee unit for early units etc. We also want 17th century historical events longterm. I've heard the IS3 team has made progress with some of this so we would appreciate their help.
    And frankly, a big thing for me - the vanilla 18th century style interface, advisors, buildings, houses and other props on the battlefield, among other 18th century things. Will they be edited? Can they be edited at all?
    We can't replace building/agent models on the campaign map yet but I have been working on 17th century Prestige Buildings using existing models that approximate (insofar as possible) the appearance of actual 17th century buildings e.g. Porte St.Denis instead of Arc de Triomphe. I've also added the Luxembourg Palace as a replacement to the Palais Bourbon.
    Do you need help with research?
    Thanks for the offer but at this stage not really. We have been researching since August 2011.
    Is there a roughly estimated date for the beta?

Thanks in advance and good luck!
    Well I am just one member of the team. Personally I would hope to have a Beta ready in the next month but it also depends on the startpos being ready and that's not my area of expertise really.

Thanks for your kind words on the mod.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Wow, thank you for a quick and very detailed answer.

Very pleased to hear this, especially about the beta. You've no idea how stoked I am.

A pity about agent models, as tricorne wearing generals will immensely bug me and my 17th century fetish.

But oh well, it is prone to change eventually and negligable in the big picture.

One other question, if I may - any possibility of adding Cossack Hetmanate? Seeing as how all vanilla factions will be present, the only one that is really missing are the Cossacks.

Quote Originally Posted by YourStepDad View Post
    Wow, thank you for a quick and very detailed answer.

Very pleased to hear this, especially about the beta. You've no idea how stoked I am.

A pity about agent models, as tricorne wearing generals will immensely bug me and my 17th century fetish.

But oh well, it is prone to change eventually and negligable in the big picture.

One other question, if I may - any possibility of adding Cossack Hetmanate? Seeing as how all vanilla factions will be present, the only one that is really missing are the Cossacks.
    No plans at present. ETW has a hardcoded limit on the number of factions you see and we are already having to remove existing (largely emergent or else colonial-Protectorate) factions to add new ones.

Also remember that tricornes were common in a few armies towards the end of the century, such as France and Saxony and maybe Bavaria.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Yes I am well aware, but despite that it would look terribly out of place for the most part.

Can agent models change their looks at some point in the game? Or for example, can late units have late strat. map models?

Yes I am well aware, but despite that it would look terribly out of place for the most part.

Can agent models change their looks at some point in the game? Or for example, can late units have late strat. map models?
    Not my area of knowledge sorry YourStepDad.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

No problem

Will this mod require just ETW or Warchiefs and/or other DLC's as well?

And am I obnoxious with these questions?

It will just require ETW.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Sweet.

I've read this thread twice and looked trough all the preview units twice. Dying to see/read more.

May I know what faction the team is currently working on? Just out of curiosity.

Well I've been working on late French units in recent days, including Gardes Suisses, Fusiliers du Roi, Regt de Navarre, Regt des Dragons du Roi, Vierzet regt etc. Late Spanish/Dutch/Swedes/Danes are largely done. The late French dragoons and Fusiliers du Roi will be armed with flintlock muskets which are faster than matchlocks (the term "Fusil" originally denoted a flintlock). Grenadier units will also have flintlocks.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; October 05, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Sweet. Thank you for the detailed answer.

Will the beta have new faction/unit/building description?
    Last edited by YourStepDad; October 06, 2012 at 09:15 AM.

Yes.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Suweet.

Any chance of a trailer or a battle preview soon?

Maybe before release I don't know. I think someone (Naxul?) made one for us a good few months ago but very little work was done at that stage.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

I'd like to see it anyway. Can you point me to it, if it's not too time consuming?

EDIT:

Nvm, found it.

I enjoyed it greatly, despite it being early WIP.

Hope to see him do more trailers.
    Last edited by YourStepDad; October 06, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Regt des Fusiliers du Roi (France - Late):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

A pleasant surprise.

They look awesome, and this is coming from someone who is not particularly fascinated by the late period and general uniformity.

And that cuirassier on the right, is it just me or did you actually take the time to give him a 17th century style facial hair?

Either way, badass.

Regiment Vierzet (France - Intermediate - Late):
    Regt de Lyonnais (France - Intermediate - Late):
    Carignan-Salieres Regt (France/New France - Intermediate - Late):
    A pleasant surprise.

They look awesome, and this is coming from someone who is not particularly fascinated by the late period and general uniformity.

And that cuirassier on the right, is it just me or did you actually take the time to give him a 17th century style facial hair?

Either way, badass.
    Uanime5 added long hair to the models. The facial hair though in this case is done by texture. It's a Bavarian cuirassier btw as they appear to have worne tricornes according to the "Army of the Blue King" plates. The purpose of the short sleeves at this time (the French plate is from Ospreys and is around 1680) was to allow a gauntlet or large glove to be worne for protection in sword-fights.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; October 06, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

:O

Any chance of mid century units preview? (black pikemen, swedish style reiters etc.)

I'd also like to say how well of a job you're doing with unit cards. Love the style.
    Last edited by YourStepDad; October 07, 2012 at 04:18 PM.