Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't it be cool if all the factions spoke their respective languages?

Legione's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Wouldn't it be cool if all the factions spoke their respective languages?

Like you know Holy Roman Empire would speak Italian, Portugal spoke Portugese etc etc. Personally I've never played MTW but I doubt it was that way in the game. lol I wonder what the Aztecs would sound like.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past."

Yes, that would add alot to the athmosphere. I doubt it will be in the game though as it would take the dev team alot of time. I hope they make it possible by mods.

Italian was spoke by some nobles in the HRE, but most of it's speakers would speak German.

tlatimini, tizitl ,tlacuilos, monenequi, Toyollo.

A few Aztec words for you.
    Member of S.I.N."Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson
    Agnosticism, a personal relationship with common sense.
    “We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes” Gene Roddenberry quote
    Under the Patronage of Squeakus Maximus.

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

That would be really cool. You could pick up a few words in various languages.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

A few danish commands for those modders: Hold linjen!, Lĉg an, fyr!!, Angrib!, Trĉk jer tilbage, Til muren!.. etc..

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

In MTW, the Muslim faction units spoke Arabic, the Eastern European ones spoke Russian, and the Western European factions spoke Latin.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Of course it should... and I don't think it is difficult because many games have done it before (such as Age of Empire 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by therussian
    In MTW, the Muslim faction units spoke Arabic, the Eastern European ones spoke Russian, and the Western European factions spoke Latin.
    The byzantines spoke Russian?

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

It shouldn't be so hard to do this time (compared to RTW), since most modern languages are fairly similar to early ones. The only problem is that the languages did change, even if they are still understandable...e.g. English is totally different (in terms of pronunciation, lexis and orthography, not really grammar and structure I guess) in 1530 from 1080. I guess they could if they wanted to deliever the whole package do different language sets that change at set dates.....but I can't see that happening.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

Doubt CA will implement this, but the pre game speeches held in the original languages of the medieval time whould be great. Could be added as an option for those who crave a more realistic feel to the game. Might not sell too many more games for CA and whould reqire hiring a lot of linguists, CA are, after all a capitalist corporation. the best to hope for is however latin for the Europeans, arabic for the Moslems etc, or the danes speaking modern danish, the french modern french and so on. Well there is still hope, there are lots of great modders out there with a real thirst for realism.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

Like you know Holy Roman Empire would speak Italian
    they would?

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga
    The byzantines spoke Russian?
    Funny, I always thought they spoke Greek. It didint sound like Russian to me though maybe that was cuse it was so hard to hear. :original:
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Well I doubt that CA will include this, but it's a great idea anyway, so here some commands in german(for the Holy Roman Empire):
    Attack!: Angriff! / Los, Angriff! / Stürmt an!
    Hold the Line!: Haltet die Linie! / Haltet die Stellung! / Bleibt standhaft!
    Pull Back!: Rückzug! Verlasst eure Stellung! Bringt euch in Sicherheit!

Just those I can think of right now, maybe I'll add some more in the future. I KNOW they DIDN'T speak modern day german and maybe I'll find some sources so these will be more accurate sometimes, but for now I think it's enough.

Western Europe
    medieval officers\nobles = french
    medieval clergy = latin
    common peoples = areas native language

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Legione's Avatar Ordinarius

Holy crap (no pun intended) so the Holy Roman Empire actually spoke German? I'm surprised I dind't know that. Well I guess that leaves Venice and Milan to speak Italian (lol right?). Actually though this was before Dante then all the different Italian city states spoke a completely different version of the Italian dialect, unlike countries like Britain, Germany or France, Italy had more than a dozen completely different versions of Italian, it wasn't until Italy was united that it was decided that they needed one form of official Italian dialect so they chose Dante Alighieri's Italian because he wrote la Divina Commedia and therefore that was the most popular form of Italian and became the one spoken today. I think it was the florentine dialect if I'm not mistaken lol. Could you just imagine though, a whole peninsula where they can't understand each other? lol

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past."

Quote Originally Posted by the celt
    Funny, I always thought they spoke Greek. It didint sound like Russian to me though maybe that was cuse it was so hard to hear. :original:
    I never played it. I Just saw someone comment and they never mentioned the byzantines.

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

It may seen cool for a while, but it can get pretty annoying. When I click on the units, I want they to say 'yes' and 'attack!' in a language I can understand, not some crazy foreign language. If they did this, it will pretty much get rid if the whole point of a prebattle speech.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

It could be cool, but would be quite a task for a feature that many people wouldn't like, as they would prefer english.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Legione
    Holy crap (no pun intended) so the Holy Roman Empire actually spoke German? I'm surprised I dind't know that. Well I guess that leaves Venice and Milan to speak Italian (lol right?). Actually though this was before Dante then all the different Italian city states spoke a completely different version of the Italian dialect, unlike countries like Britain, Germany or France, Italy had more than a dozen completely different versions of Italian, it wasn't until Italy was united that it was decided that they needed one form of official Italian dialect so they chose Dante Alighieri's Italian because he wrote la Divina Commedia and therefore that was the most popular form of Italian and became the one spoken today. I think it was the florentine dialect if I'm not mistaken lol. Could you just imagine though, a whole peninsula where they can't understand each other? lol
    Even German there were Highland German and Lowland German in Medieval. For Milan should be Latin or Italian, but for Venice I am not sure. For England (sorry, there was no Britain in Medieval time) the people spoke English, for France surely they spoke French (but not sure for South France). For Byzamtine... I think should be Greek or Latin, but the North part of Byzamtiun I'm not sure... may be Russian? For Spain... also not sure, because Spanish sounds like Latin... About the Muslim countries... I don't know what was Moor speaking, but I heard they had their own language... For Egyptian should be Arabic or Egytian... But I 'm not sure for Middle East (Damacus and so on...). For Turk there were different Turkish language too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

It would be cool if the English spoke Middle English, the Scottish spoke Scots Gaelic, and the Welsh (which I hope will be there) spoke Welsh.

Of course, you could run into AOE III style problems, and have them saying things that make little sense, voiced by non-speakers from the Southern US.

It may seen cool for a while, but it can get pretty annoying. When I click on the units, I want they to say 'yes' and 'attack!' in a language I can understand, not some crazy foreign language.
    I am in complete disagreement with that. Complete disagreement. I would prefer the real words. Besides, it's pretty much implied what they're saying anyway. Not everyone would prefer modern English all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast