Thread: Gothic formation = Running phalanx

Default Gothic formation = Running phalanx

Hi Dimebag,

If you have BI you will notice that the gothic default spear formation closely resembles a phalanx formation. The kick is that they also run which I think would be beneficial to your mod if you added such formation to the Greek cultures. Just a though, let me know your opinion.

Cheers!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Shield wall has been added to some units but you cannot really replace phalanx with it...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

The gothic spearmen use short_pike, and shiltrom. It's the short_pike bit that makes them look like a phalanx. I tried this out in earlier versions for hoplite units, but I never really liked the effect much, because the front ranks switch to secondary weapons almost immediately.

I'm pretty happy with the over-hand/spear-wall combination that the hoplites have now, although as Zarax said its not a perfect substitute for a good hoplite phalanx formation.

FYI - The hoplites did use swords in battle. Doesn't the Gothic formation stay close together longer than shield wall with overhand animation? I rather see the hoplites keep formation and use swords rather than spread out and fight all over the place overhand. Also I don't think that the AI uses the shield wall do they?

Anyways just an opinion, I am sure I can't sway you at this point.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMETRIOUS II
    Anyways just an opinion, I am sure I can't sway you at this point.
    Probably not. But if you want to make this change yourself, let me know and I will provide instructions.

I haven't seen the AI use shield wall. Does anyone know if the AI in the Barbarian Invasion campaign uses it?

Default Re: Gothic formation = Running phalanx

No i dont think the AI use it on bi sadly
    [/IMG]

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

I've seen AI form shield wall on occasions, try having some cavalry units near the shield wall able units and sometimes they will form the wall to protect themselves from a frontal charge...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I have seen hoplites use it recently. I think part of the problem is that they leave shield wall formation when they attack, so unless you are watching carefully you won't even notice it half the time.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; April 10, 2006 at 11:33 AM.