Thread: How to make completely new portraits

Default How to make completely new portraits

So what you need is:
    *Photoshop,or some similar editing software
    *FaceGen software found here:
    http://www.facegen.com/index.htm

Also your files must be unpacked.Portraits are found in data/ui/[culture]/portraits.

So let's start.

1) We will make face first in FaceGen.I suggest clicking on "Generate" option,which will make random face.So let's take look at these things I pointed out.
    On red rectangle you can see all stuff for look:Will your character be male or female,young or old,ugly or attractive.It's all up to you!
    Blue rectangle shows skin options.Here you choose which race will your character be.

2) Now,we will work on character's appearance.On "shape","colour" and "tween" tabs,you can make really specific character."Shape" tab is used for general face part,like length of the nose,or face wideness.You choose colours of face at "colour" tab."Tween" is used for character emotions.You can choose angry or happy face,but you can also combine them.

3) When you have made completely your character you should go to "View" tab and change background colour,so you can make it transparent more easily.

4) In your ui folder find portraits.Open one of them in Photoshop.I opened file called "096" in my "D:\Games\Total War\Medieval II Total War\data\ui\southern_european\portraits\portraits\young\generals" folder.It's a picture of general looking right in front of him.So it's a good thing that our general is looking in that direction.You should always try to adjust general's angle with your character's angle,if you use their original clothes.Now,go and save your picture on File->Save image in FaceGen,and put it where you want.I suggest using Targa format.
    Then open it in Photoshop.

5) Make transparent image sized 400 x 400 pixels,and copy your general's picture.Delete your background and use clone tool to remove "SI" on his forehead.

6) Now playing is everything.You must find exact size of your picture.Put it on original file,and just remove head from layer above,and there you go.Perfect match!

Some more tips:

Unfortunately,you must have "Customizer" if you want to make hair(only short,black hair is possible here),but if you are Photoshop expert,you can make hair by yourself!

On tab called "Genetic" you will easily get pictures of people that look like your character.So,you will get easily pictures of his sons and daughters.

Every Generals portrait has it's old and young file.You can use just a little change in RED RECTANGLE in Picture 1.

If you have a question,just ask.
    Hope I helped,
    The Spartan Warlord

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Default Re: How to make completely new portraits

Just superb tutorial, +rep and it will gives a superb result. Finally, getting rid of hideous faces of vanilla (especially the bald one)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

That is just the thing - would you mind if I enter a reference in my tutorial? Creating a World – Character portraits, creation and use

Of course not

Blog Entries

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

Very nice, have you tried to generate a portrait by using a photo of a real person?

great information!thanks for this
    plus rep

Thanks

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Are any spesific names the TGA images must have in the portraits folders?
    Foe example ui cards in battle ui have #swordmen ...
    What is the name that must be added to portraits tgas?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

They have to be numbered from 000

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    They have to be numbered from 000
    I have folowed the instructions.
    I made a card for a byzantine general and placed it in:
    TGC/data/ui/greek/portraits/portraits/young/generals
    I named it 000 but it does not apear in game.
    What about kings and heirs?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

Check here: Creating a World – Character portraits, creation and use

Did you use the file_first = true line in the CFG file?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Check here: Creating a World – Character portraits, creation and use

Did you use the file_first = true line in the CFG file?
    Thank you trying right now!