Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hearts of Iron 3 : Questions

Default Hearts of Iron 3 : Questions

I made a few transports, but how do i get them into one fleet? the "Create new unit" button is greyed out

Any recommend way to build your division? maybe like 2 heavy tank brigades and 2 infantry? something like that, any suggestions?

I am playing as USA, i try to make a army corp using one of my unattached divisions, but the make corp button is greyed out, why is this? When i play UK, this never happens, i made sure i had 2 star generals for the corps but still doesnt work, plz help

How much troops is needed to invade germany from north western france? i used 650k men, but that seem to be not enough since the AI spammed hundreds of infantry divisions on me

When i try to invade from sea with divisions boarded on to my transports, in choose the fleet with the troops and right click on enemy territory, and choose "Invasion", but the ship just sails to that area and sails right back to the nearest friendly port! what do i do? so i tried moving the ship using "Move order" instead and then choosing the troops i want to use and invade, it works sometimes, but now i try to invade an island with 1 Garrison on it, i invaded with over 40000 troops against their less than 9000, but they dont take any casualty and keep on saying i lost! why??!!

Question: i have a troop transport plane and a division of paratroopers based in peking, Nationalist China, the paratroopers are loaded onto the plane, but when i try to do an airborne assault on a Manchuko province, it doesnt let me, the "accept" button is greyed out, and when i hover my mouse over it, it says "select a valid province". I am at war with Manchuko, why is this?

Another qusetion, how do i get organization up? many of my units cant move cuz its got no organization

I put 1 Army of around 200k men in China, where the japs/manchuko were fighting with the Guanxi Clique and Nationalist China. Well, my men ran out of supplies i think, and got attacked by japs, but for some reason the battle result shows i lost, but neither sides lost any troops, and after a while my units were all wiped out! why is this? and how do i supply my troops? do i have to capture a port in the area? Thanks.

Please try to create one thread with all your questions in it the next time. This way the forum doesn't get spammed with multiple threads containing one question.

Hesus.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; April 27, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Default Re: how to make fleets?

Make sure they're in the same port, and drag your mouse over the port and they should all be selected. Then you can form them into one fleet.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

If you're trying to merge fleets and the button is grayed out, select everything you want to merge then press the R key on your keyboard. This works for all unit types in all situations, including combat and travel.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Make sure these weren't the transports that just carry supplies, too.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Convoys don't appear on the map at all, so you can't merge them into combat fleets.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBromgrev View Post
    Convoys don't appear on the map at all, so you can't merge them into combat fleets.
    Good point. I was thinking about this with an image of the unit construction screen in my head.

Default Re: HOI3 Recommended division build?

I prefer 1 arm/2 mech (or 1 arm/2 mot early in game) for armored divisions, and 3 infantry for infantry divisions, though I also build some 3 inf/1 AT for defensive units. Keeping in mind supply limits it's not always a good idea to build giant heavy divisions, but rather to attack from multiple directions on important targets using smaller unit sizes.

I'm a big fan of using divisions that have 4 Paratroopers and 1 AT unit (any kind works, but I usually use the infantry since they don't need fuel). Those divisions can really hold down a front pretty well.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Making Army/Army Crops

Perhaps that unit you are trying to create a HQ from already has had a HQ created from it.

Default Re: Invading germany

Make sure you have as many bonuses as possible. Attack across plains and circle back for rivers. I have a lot of close air support moving with my armies as they advance into hostile territory. Also, bring artillery and armor along with your infantry. You need the combined arms bonus to give you another advantage on them.

Even considering all that, I doubt you'll be able to declare war on Germany before they attack Poland and are at war with the Allies anyways.

we are at war already, its almost 1942 in game, but i sent 650k troops lots of armour and heavy armour with bomber support, but seems like i cant really defeat them

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You should have kept defence on the fort line, and also upgrade it while training lots of the units HissingNewt said.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

you'll need to encircle the german troops and cut them off from their supplies if you want to destroy germany. Land marines near berlin and rush, and attack at the same time through italy and the north see to cut off the army defending in alsace.

I'm currently playing as france, so I'm getting prepared to invade them too sometime in 1941 or 1942, the problem is that italy didn't join the war so I can't kill them :/
    Patronized by Hader.

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

its a waste of paratroopers imo, I use 3 inf 1 AT or 1 arty as defensive units. 3 inf and 1 arty is excellent against soft stuff.
    Patronized by Hader.

I feel like Paratroopers are the best defensive infantry you can possibly get for the supply cost, so those divisions can attack and then quickly be on the defensive to hold that land against an enemy counterattack.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    we are at war already, its almost 1942 in game, but i sent 650k troops lots of armour and heavy armour with bomber support, but seems like i cant really defeat them
    Try to let them fail against your defenses first and then counterattack with a push to Berlin through the Low Countries.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

As the British, having held the French line, I had the following:

French Front: About half a million men under my own command, of which about 200,000 were British and 300,000 were various Belgian, Spanish, French, Commonwealth. France probably had around a million men retained under their own command.

Balkans Front: The entire Balkans except the Greeks went Axis. So I landed my armies in North Africa and my Reserve Armies in the UK in Greece following Churchill's "soft underbelly" strategy, all in all by the time I reached the German border there were about a million men fighting there. They were the ones who made the major push into Germany, after I cut-off and annihilated much of the Wehrmacht's Balkans troops in Romania. The major breakthrough on the French front came then when large numbers of Divisions were sent east to hold Austria.

So, to take the Germans down all-in-all about 2.5 million troops were involved. America never got involved.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Static Defence: 3 inf, 1 art. Usually used to defend ports, VP provinces, static lines where I don't expect to advance from.

Mobile Infantry: 1 LArm, 3 mot/mech. Inf. Basically infantry support for my advancing armies.

Armoured: 1 TD, 3 Arm. Frontline armoured divisions for engaging and forcing back the enemy.

By the time I research the 5 brigades per division tech, I usually stick a SP-Art into the Mobile Inf and Armoured Divisions for extra soft killing power.

Marines and Para: 4 brigades of marines/para.

Linebreakers: Usually I keep a few Divisions (maybe a Corps or so) of 1 Eng, 1 Art/SP-Art and 2/3 Inf/Mot Inf/Mech Inf. Generally for attacking across rivers as the Engineers give a bonus but Armour takes a bad penalty. Generally I like to keep it dismounted inf.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Making Army/Army Crops

Lack of manpower can cause this. I don't know if HQs actually take any manpower when they're made but they need you to have manpower to make them.

Default Re: How do i invade from sea??

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    now i try to invade an island with 1 Garrison on it, i invaded with over 40000 troops against their less than 9000, but they dont take any casualty and keep on saying i lost! why??!!
    You're using too many troops, so your stacking penalty must be huge. Anytime you attack with more than 4 units from a single province you'll get hit with a stacking penalty. Also, make sure you're using only marines or infantry to attack, not artillery or tanks. Heavy units have huge amphibious penalties and make you perform worse than if you had left them at home.

If your transports just go to the sea province then go back, then that's because of the "aggressiveness" setting you have them on. Put them on aggressive and that should fix the problem. If not, just do what you mentioned earlier and manually move the troops off the transports.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast