Thread: Sybelius (Finland) 1 Mozart (Austria) 0

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Default Sybelius (Finland) 1 Mozart (Austria) 0

This past weekend I had the massive pleasure of submerging into the cold northern remote reaches of Finland.... in the Brussels Bozar Theater...

I went to see the Belgian National Symphony Orchestra recite Sibelius (http://www.naxos.com/composer/sibelius.htm) and Mozart.

The Mozart was so overshadowed by the complex, intellectul deep sounds of Sibelius that I foudn myself questioning what attracts us to certain sounds.

I wanted to see if any civitates had input on this rather than posting it in the Thema Devia.

Corrected after Wilpuri's Finnish spelling correction.
    Last edited by Obi Wan Asterix; February 23, 2006 at 07:01 AM.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Just a little correction: It is Sibelius, not Sybelius.

Although I am not a big fan of this kind of music, I admit I do like Sibelius. However, I know nothing about this stuff so I have no 'educated opinions' on him or anyone else for that matter.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Quote Originally Posted by wilpuri
    Just a little correction: It is Sibelius, not Sybelius.

Although I am not a big fan of this kind of music, I admit I do like Sibelius. However, I know nothing about this stuff so I have no 'educated opinions' on him or anyone else for that matter.
    Interesting enough... do you find the long drawn-out dark sounds of Sibelius enjoyable? Or for what other reason (even if only Nationalistic) are you drawn to it
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    Interesting enough... do you find the long drawn-out dark sounds of Sibelius enjoyable? Or for what other reason (even if only Nationalistic) are you drawn to it
    Well I guess it speaks to me because of its very 'Finnish' sound landscape. Also Sibelius' historical role of molding the Finnish national character into what it was and is. He is our national composer. Apart from his symphonies, the Finlandia hymn and the Jaegers March make for great listening to any Finnish patriot. :original:

He also lived in Loviisa, where both of my parents hail from and I have a lot of family there. When you put Sibelius' work into a historical context, it speaks to me as a Finn greatly. Of course, he was also from a Swedish-speaking family like myself.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

:wink:
    Quote Originally Posted by wilpuri
    Of course, he was also from a Swedish-speaking family like myself.
    Hmmm didn't know that about both of you Much more attainable than Finnish :wink: *proceeds to Barbarian Taverna*

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    :wink:

Hmmm didn't know that about both of you Much more attainable than Finnish :wink: *proceeds to Barbarian Taverna*
    Heh, well I am actually from a bilingual family, to be exact. My mother is a Swedish-speaker, and while my father is a Finnish-speaker (although he also speaks fluent Swedish).

SoggyFrog's Avatar Sort of a Protest Frog

I really like listening to Sibelius, in fact it was a concert playing Sibelius (I went with my dad and my sister on her birthday) that drew me into classical music. I'm Canadian, so there's no nationalist drive behind my enthusiasm

His work is easier to get into than that of some other composers, and being of the Romantic Era it is inherently different from the stuff by Mozart (Classical) so it definitely feels more emotional and colourful, which can make it more enjoyable. Like wilpuri said, Sibelius' work often strikes up images of the landscape.

I have his symphonies, his violin concerto, a couple of suites, and some solo piano works of his as well.
    House of Frood