Thread: Portal 2

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Default Portal 2

"Portal 2", as some of you may have guessed, is the sequal to the 2007 title "Portal" by Valve that was originally intended to be a small game in "The Orange Box". The game was critically aclaimed by just about review that ever typed its name due to the titles innovation with the portal gun and puzzles that left most people scratching their heads. The games meteoric rise to prominence have made the sequal inevitable and as you clever people have no doubt worked out once more; I intend to review it.

First things first as the first thing you see is?

The graphics presented to you of course!

Graphics

As is the trend with valve games the game uses the outdated Source engine which was released in 2004 believe it or not but because those good people at Valve have pumped it full of updates you wouldn't think of it.

While you may not have vast sprawling enviroments of most games you have a room. With a cube - if you're lucky. So it can be a bit hard to judge how good looking the game is however it does a great job of making you think its capable. Textures are of a high quality; pits are bottomless; the models are smooth; some great lighting effects that are used throughout and it uses the Havok physics engine to create some superb destruction scenes; the liquid effects also deserve a special mention. The games has one fatal flaw where the engine shows its age though: the game loads a new test chamber upon completion of the previous one. While its not the biggest problem in world it can be annoying. Outwith that Portal provides a good visual experience that doesn't do incredible things - but it doesn't do much wrong either.

Score: 9/10

Gameplay

This section of the review is Portal 2's swansong, where it makes its name, working up to its release it was continued to be hyped as a brainbuster filled with puzzles and... Well, portals.

Any of you who played the first game will know you have a gun and two portals, your objective is to use these portals to find your way to the end of the test chamber with numerous other variables in the test chamber, from buttons to lasers. Portal 2 continues the basic two portal ideal but adds to the variables. Examples are "Aerial Faith Plate" which launches you into the air; "Hard Light Bridges" which can be channeled through Portals and more are the numerous liquids in the game: "Repulsion and Propulsion Gel" one allows you to jump higher and the other, run faster. Buttons and cubes return as do laser beams with moving platforms to keep it fresh. Portal 2 consistently attempts to always try something new, while the chapters may be based around a new element brought into play it will usually throw in something to catch you off balance.

So to summarise Portal 2 will scratch any puzzle itch someone has, the constant addition of objects to help you traverse to your objective keeps the game from being repetitive, incredibly fun and usually funny - a fantastic experience.

I would have taken a point off for the loading times but that seems a bit cheap, no?

Score: 10/10

Audio

Portals audio isn't exactly the most broad library of audio in the world of gaming with such limited characters however that doesn't stop it being any less epic.

GLaDOS has the same narcissistic, sarcastic twang to her voice, turrets are still hilariously cute in some weird way and the best of the game is the part of Wheatley, played by Stephen Merchant. Our American counterparts of the site may not know who he is but if you will by the end of the game. The comedy he adds to the game with the part is invaluable to the atmosphere of the game.

Music doesn't make much of an appearence in actual game time but when it does its some form of techno tune that plays which helps the sci-fi setting I personally found the main menu theme the best of the game but I'm not exactly a music critic. Not a games one either saying that.

The work of Stephen Merchant gets this a ten on its on but when the music makes an appearence along with GLaDOS it earns it anyway.

Story

The story continues on from the first game I can only guess there will be some minor spoilers in here so I shall put a short introduction in a spoiler.

Spoiler for Bad things
    After the event of the first game Chell (the player character is dragged to a chamber where she is to be kept in a cryogenic sleep and is awakened many years after by Wheatley who wishes to help the facility get back on track it is from here the fun begins

This comic helps bridge the gap of the games.

So onto commenting on the actual story. I can honestly say it hooked me into playing the full night when I intended to go off after an hour or two. Plot developments keep you on edge and intrigued throughout wanting to complete a test chamber to find out what happens after it as opposed to actually wanting to complete the chamber for the mental challenge. As aforementioned the characters of the game do it immense amount of favours to keep you interested. The history of the game is even added to when you are allowed to explore an abandoned part of the facility.

Portal 2's plotline, history and top notch loveable characters earn it a great score.

Other Notes

I suppose its worth making another section for the things I couldn't address up above in this template. Portal 2 has a co-op mode which I have also took the time to go through and now spend my morning to tell you about. You lucky people.

The Co-operative portion of the game works exactly the same as the single player except you have a friend and the portals are no longer blue and orange. The great thing about it is that you cannot complete it on your own. Teamwork is indeed required, I would recommend a microphone to any would be testing teams although Valve do a good job of allowing you to communicate areas of interest to your partner with the "Ping" tool, pointing out where to put a portal or where to stand it just doesn't beat verbal communication and works better in cohesion with it anyway. Each player gets two portals that work with each other, allowing both members to go through them. Most tests can be solved quicker because as the saying goes two brains are better and one but they are still challenging and just as fun if not more; the added player and respawn system usually allows for some chaotic fun, nothing like taking a light bridge away from your partners feet.

Another note and probably the games biggest problem is one it can do nothing about: if you have done it once you can do it again. Which essentialy leaves zero room for replayability. No challenge chambers after completion like the first either so you are pretty shafted when it comes to this.

So onward to the final summary which you patient readers have been waiting so long for.

Summary

Portal 2 is a serious GOTY contender, I have no doubt about that. Great in every sense of the word, the fact I have to mention loading times as one of the games only negatives should be testament enough to that. As noted the only big flaw the game has is replayability. Solution? Play through it blind drunk so you don't remember.

Final Score: 39/40
    Last edited by Danny_K_1; April 26, 2011 at 01:11 AM.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Re: Portal 2

Good review +rep

I have just started playing this game. While I enjoyed the first title I'll admit that I wasn't as "Portal-crazy" as some people were. Yet, just like in the first game I was automatically drawn into Portal 2 10 minutes in with its well crafted puzzles, witty interactions with GLaDOS and Wheatley, and fun/comedic atmosphere which is refreshing in an industry full of post-apocalyptic, shoot-em up, and dark fantasy/sci-fi games.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Cheers my first contribution to this section, only meant to write a bit and got carried away. Might just visit more often.

Aye it does a fantastic job of sucking you in and keeping you there, it feels wrong to leave it incomplete.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

This is a pretty solid review to anyone thinking of buying it.

What I will stress is this. You may find yourself taking 10 hours to do the single player, you may find yourself taking 5, those are the figures i've been hearing. You'll obviously be faster if you've played Portal 1, and if you haven't I highly recommend picking it up first given how cheap it is. Multiplayer is also of a similar length, probably shorter but usually communicating to your partner will make things take longer. Frankly, there is no question that you should eventually get this game, but you may want to wait until the price comes down. The 10-11 hours i've spent in the game was of such high quality that it makes it worth it for me, but it might not for you. If you're an achievement person, you may find yourself being able to squeeze a few more hours out of the game, but i'm not one of those people.

Also, do the Co-Op with a friend, and voice chat. I did it with a friend, but not one with voice-chat. Needless to say most of our problems where communication issues.
    Last edited by Musthavename; April 26, 2011 at 03:42 AM.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Excellent review! Nicely worded and not too long. +rep

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

Thanks a lot, I was already planning on getting this game, and you've just reinforced my already impatient mind

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K_1 View Post
    Aye it does a fantastic job of sucking you in and keeping you there, it feels wrong to leave it incomplete.
    Simply lol!

Good review though defo's copy n' pasted

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybhoy92 View Post
    Simply lol!

Good review though defo's copy n' pasted
    You are a dirty man, David.

And how dare you say I plaguerised this, this took me about an hour and a half.

Thanks for the kind words and rep people.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

It's really as good as they say huh? I have recently lost trust in IGN's reviews.
    Well, I guess I'll have to trust you and buy it
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

If you liked the first Portal I can say without any sort of doubt you will love Portal 2.

Tia's Avatar Primicerius

fantastic review Danny! The voice acting is so amazing. You can tell the actors had a really fun time doing voicing the game, they put so much emotion in their work you can practically see their faces.
    +rep

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Awesome review! Loved it =D

To people thinking of buying - you may want to wait, however regardless of when you buy it be assured of some cool mod-created levels and DLC (so far, announced DLC will be free, which is nice) which will definitely add to the longevity.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

the source engine is not outdated and never will be, its modular so they take out old tech and put in new technology as they make new games. thats why you havent seen a source engine 2 like with Unreal and Cryengine, its just a new build every time. and Portal 2 is one of the best looking DX9 games ive ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    the source engine is not outdated and never will be, its modular so they take out old tech and put in new technology as they make new games. thats why you havent seen a source engine 2 like with Unreal and Cryengine, its just a new build every time. and Portal 2 is one of the best looking DX9 games ive ever seen
    You kind of contradicted yourself by saying its DX9.

Besides at no point did I say the game looked bad, the only gripe I had with the engine is it made me load a chamber every time.

tonymurphy1888's Avatar Senator

Look's like you've found yourself a new career Dan
    Yes, friends, governments in capitalist society are but committees of the rich to manage the affairs of the capitalist class.
    -James Connolly

So it would seem, I'll write another soonish.