Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't think MTW2 is really a sequel. . . . .

Default I don't think MTW2 is really a sequel. . . . .

I get the feeling that MTW2 isn't to RTW/BI what MTW was to Shogun or RTW was to MTW.
    To me it feels like a very extensive add on to RTW rather than a full blown, next generation sequel.

The screen shots as nice as they are arn't the jump from RTW/BI what RTW was from MTW.
    When the devs talk about 're working the current engine', adding more features, indivitualizing the units etc it certainly seems more like an upgrade than a sequel.
    Also, when a dev house farms the job out to others, although those others maybe fully competent, there is a sense of it being a cash generator rather than a full on next gen gamble.

I'm mentioning this more as an observation rather than a complaint. I for one still love RTW and was really hoping that they'd re do MTW now that the grapics are ace so i'm totally happy with a re vamp. I guess i just like things to be called by their propper name rather than being given a bit of the ole spin treatment.

I agree Poita, I think the "real" sequal is being made with a new engine in England. Probably Napoleon TW or something similar with naval 3d battles. Just guessing offcourse.

Canīt wait for this one though!

Average British Student

Look at history of Total war games
    Shogun - Started the franchise
    Medival - Used 2d engine for last time (great game)
    Rome - basically shogun but 3d
    Medival 2 - Will be last time on rome engine (going to be great)
    Next Total - World breakthrough

Look at the pattern used 2d engine for 2 games
    used 3d engine for 2 games
    so new Total war will be ground breaking engine/game

Quote Originally Posted by wipeout140

Look at the pattern used 2d engine for 2 games
    used 3d engine for 2 games
    so new Total war will be ground breaking engine/game

The Devs have said this much already.

When they released MTW, they had RTW well under way. So right now, they are creating Medival 2, and its not a challenge for them.

The real challenge is what they are doing behind the scenes right now, as we unpatiently await the release of MTW 2.
    No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
    George S. Patton

Don't forget it's CA Australia doing MTW2. CA in England might be currently working on the next total war on the brand new engine. They might have been working on it ever since RTW was released.
    But we'll just know what it is exactly in 2 and a half years :/

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Well, as wipeout140 pointed out, this is the second game on the engine, as MTW was to STW. Those were the same engine, MTW2 and RTW are the same engine. So if you considered MTW just to be more off an add on to STW then you probably think the same of MTW2 and RTW.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Quote Originally Posted by Poita
    Also, when a dev house farms the job out to others, although those others maybe fully competent, there is a sense of it being a cash generator rather than a full on next gen gamble.
    Just a point of correction. MTWII hasn't been farmed out to others. It is being developed by CA Oz which is still a part of Creative Assembly. CA Oz were involved in Rome and BI as well so its not being farmed out to a bunch of random 'others' who've never seen or played total war games before.

If TW goes on for a good couple of years then hopefully computers will have a holo-perphirels so we can play and command amidst the battle or even fully functional presinal VR. Who knows.

Don't mean to thread jack but anyone wanna start thinking of names of the next few TW games? We could even email these to CA and see if they ever use them?

Ok then don't thread jack.

Ha ha ha JCD, i like how you embelished my 'farmed out statement'. Maybe you should change your name to OCD. Any 'other' company that takes on a huge project like MTW2 is basically joining CA for a good year or so. So in practice there is not much difference between them being a third party dev team or part of CA. It' still essentially farming it out. It's not a negative connotation if they do a good job. Don't be so defensive.

Poita - that's making the assumption that CA Oz were not involved in Rome or BI or any other previous Total War games. Looking at the credits (I have the Gold Edition here) however there's 11 names in the "Programming" section and a further 6 in the "Programming (CA Oz)" section which to me suggests they were involved. Also I read on another forum that Jeff van Dyck (Audio director on all the Total War Games) is based in Brisbane too.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by wipeout140
    What breakthrough? We've used up all the dimension. There no "4th" dimension, unless you consider "weight" a dimension, and I don't think you'd want the literal weight and mass of two armies clashing right in fronta yer face.

Quote Originally Posted by Swe_gamer
    I agree Poita, I think the "real" sequal is being made with a new engine in England. Probably Napoleon TW or something similar with naval 3d battles. Just guessing offcourse.

Canīt wait for this one though!
    That's my quess to!

Quote Originally Posted by Poita
    Ok then don't thread jack.

Ha ha ha JCD, i like how you embelished my 'farmed out statement'. Maybe you should change your name to OCD. Any 'other' company that takes on a huge project like MTW2 is basically joining CA for a good year or so. So in practice there is not much difference between them being a third party dev team or part of CA. It' still essentially farming it out. It's not a negative connotation if they do a good job. Don't be so defensive.
    Its not OCD, its just an automatic thing to repeat something to ignorant people (ie. you). I thought repeating would help ensure that my point was understood. Based on your reply its clear that you didn't get the point. Perhaps re-read what I said and what strategyfan has said. CA Oz did not just join CA for MTW2. CA Oz has worked *together* with CA UK on previous projects. Try and understand this time rather than continuing to demonstrate your ignorance on a small and easy to grasp point.

alman9898's Avatar Centenarius

Remember CA's policy is evolution, then revolution... MTW was an evolution of STW; RTW was the revolution of MTW; MTWII is the evolution of RTW.

Quote Originally Posted by alman9898
    Remember CA's policy is evolution, then revolution... MTW was an evolution of STW; RTW was the revolution of MTW; MTWII is the evolution of RTW.
    I suppose that this ensures a decent regular income for CA as the evolutions fund the revolutions?

Probably Napoleon TW or something similar with naval 3d battles.
    Both of which CA said they wont be doing.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    Both of which CA said they wont be doing.
    Until they can do it to a high standard- which I believe they will eventually do, with a Napoleonic-themed Total War.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Quoting CA's policy of revolution then evolution. Then if all things go well that would mean we would get past the Napoleon stage and reach WW#

Quote Originally Posted by Shuriken
    Quoting CA's policy of revolution then evolution. Then if all things go well that would mean we would get past the Napoleon stage and reach WW#
    I dout they will go past NTW to WW total war. Those time periods were to short to warrent a Total war to made about it. WW2 lasted only untill 39-45 and Iam not sure about WW1 but i dont think it lasted any longer. You cant make a TW about 6 to 12 years of history.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

And if the next TW is goind to be from 1500 to 2000, it would be hard for the devs as the wolrd evolution betwen 1500 to 2000 was much bigger than the evolution from 1000 to 1500.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast