Thread: Ammount of men in regiments

ninja51's Avatar Biarchus

Default Ammount of men in regiments

Just a quick question/comment, ive noticed factions such as the Russians and Ottomans have unit numbers in the generic line infantry peaked at 200 just like nearly every other faction. I was under the impression they are to have more men in their regiments to offset their incredibly weak battle skill in nearly every field. Makes sense, Russians fielded 400,000 men as militia easily, seems strange they would have the same number of men per unit that the Prussians or Swedes do (factions famous for the scarcity but quality of their troops). The English have the best line infantry in the game I think and are rightfully offsetted by a missing 20 men per regiment, its been awhile but I believe the Spanish and Portugese have less men in their cavalry units to show that horses wernt in huge quantities around there and they didnt focus much on cavalry. The Russians and Ottomans have always been talked of as having poor troops, but a massive hoard of them to throw at you. The Ottomans are already sevearly handicapped with a worse navy and alot worse quality and quantity of trade-ships. Ive never seen a game in all my playthroughs were the Ottomans wernt just crushed. Austria always makes a nice little empire of itself regardless of me putting pressure on the west or limiting their exapansion by taking towns first. They cleave through the Ottomans destroying them every time. Easy to see why with universaly better troops and more men in the generic line.

It seems pointless to play as the Russians or Ottomans in the current state, all of their units are inferior, yet dont make up for it like they do in vanilla by having more men. Is it intentional to have them at 200? The Austrians have 210 men for the german line and 220 for the Hungarian line. Why shaft the Russians and Ottomans in their gameplay balancer?

PS: Ive always been curious why the Hungarian line is better in every single way than the German line. More men, better stats across the board, yet the Germans were renouned for their dicipline and drill, and the Hungarians their ferocity. Doesnt really come across as a "better trained" vs "more agressive" arrangement like its portraid to be in the unit descriptions. Makes the germans a bit redundant, why bother with them? Hungarians are better in every way
    Last edited by ninja51; April 24, 2011 at 01:52 AM.

Default Re: Ammount of men in regiments

Ottomans and Russian units are cheaper. The Russians are very good in melee combat, which is usefull against the AI. The Ottomans should be weaker overall. You plöay the underdog if you play them. The hungarian units were bigger. There are also more expensive and are capped.

The Hungarian line arnt capped, theres infinite number. I suppose that makes sense but the Russian units arnt terribly better in melee. They have like 1 bonus defence and stacking up a Prussian unit with their serious shooting skills against a Russian unit, its no contest. Every step closer sees more and more of them cut down by bullets and by the time they're close enough to engage half of them are nearly dead and they are just about to break. The underdog story doesnt really work gameplay wise. Units can be better, but like I said, when EVERY enemy unit is better, when not playing the Russians or Ottomans they are absolutly crushed in nearly every game. The 1812 campaign sees Russia getting carved up, and in every campaign the Ottomans are destroyed withing 70 turns

Quote Originally Posted by ninja51 View Post
    The Hungarian line arnt capped, theres infinite number. I suppose that makes sense but the Russian units arnt terribly better in melee. They have like 1 bonus defence and stacking up a Prussian unit with their serious shooting skills against a Russian unit, its no contest. Every step closer sees more and more of them cut down by bullets and by the time they're close enough to engage half of them are nearly dead and they are just about to break. The underdog story doesnt really work gameplay wise. Units can be better, but like I said, when EVERY enemy unit is better, when not playing the Russians or Ottomans they are absolutly crushed in nearly every game. The 1812 campaign sees Russia getting carved up, and in every campaign the Ottomans are destroyed withing 70 turns
    The Hungarian line is capped. Believe me, I made that mod. The Russian infantry has +1 melee, +1 defense and +1 moral. And of course are they inferior to Prussians when it comes to shooting, what do you expect? I have no problem playing them. There artillery is rather strong and they have a lot of elite units. The Ottomans played no role in the Napoleonic wars other then loosing against the Russians. Why should I make them an artificial super power?

Ah yep, just checked and they are. I appologise, I guess I just never put out enough of them for the 10 unit cap to kick in. Musta looked right over the maximum ammount of units.

When I talked about the Prussians I meant that with their far superior shooting skills, which is correct to have, they can and do seriously massive damage to a unit of Russian line before they can get close enough to fight hand to hand and from my playing around with it, Russian units loose major amounts of moral before they can actualy pull off the attack, and they end up breaking very fast once the melee actually happens.

You make a convincing arguement with the Ottomans ill admit, I still feel as if they should have more men in their units though. If only to represent the fact that they did have a crap load of men to fight.

Overall I really do think just adding more men to the Russian and Ottomans regiments would balance gameplay the best while still keeping the Ottomans underdogs and the Russians melee based. If nothing else, just to add to historical accuracy

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree with you. Bringing more epicness in battle, especially when you can still take just 20 units. So;
    Russian army: (example) 1400 men
    British: (example) 1400 men
    NOT accetable!
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

I play Russo faction all the time. I like that this mod has the Russian infantry with inferior firearm skills as this is historical. Russo armies often used less than superior firearms; but they had higher moral as they were mostly fighting to save their country from invasion (mostly Ottomans and later French).

I have found that you have to know the strong and weak points in this mod. With the Russians playing on hard BAI I often set my forces up to melee after a few rounds. They have that great "give them cold steel" army.

Cheers!