Thread: Rome total war "widescreen"

Default Rome total war "widescreen"

Hello to everybody

I have a problem with RTW and I'd be very thankful if someone has a solution.
    Recently I bought a widescreen 19" LCD which runs on 1440x900.
    The problem is that both strategic map/battle map look stretched and all circles look like ellipses, and the texts are a little bit unreadable.
    In the game options, i chose for both maps 1440x900 and I checked the "widescreen" checkbox. But it didn't help, the images was still stretched. My video card is nVidia GeForce FX5500.

p.s. Sorry if this problem was covered in the forum, i searched it but couldn't find a solution.

Thanx in advance

If you have ATI video card, go to the catalyst control centre thing. i'm running rome from a notebook widescreen, and i can set the image to maintain aspect ratio, rather than the whole image filling up the screen.

my answer isn't that great, i know. but it's general, and it works someone out there will give a better answer

i think i should welcome you to the forums too
    Horse Archers = GOD

Thanx, roman_crusader, i'm glad i joined this forum, there seems to be pretty much interesting stuff here

My video card is unfortunately GeForce FX 5500. There doesn't seem to be such an option in the video software provided. I searched the internet and from what i understood keeping aspect ratio fixed is supported only for GeForce models from the 6600 series.

Is there anyone using an nVidia card with a widescreen monitor?

Thanx

Okay...you may very well need to start a new campaign, but here goes...

When you load into RTW, and you get to the Main Menu (the one that has options for selecting single player, multiplayer, etc), go into the Options menu, then into the Video Options menu. I might be correct in assuming you need to turn on advanced options (the little golden box below the three tabs along the top of this Video Options menu) - and at the bottom, where it has more of these boxes, where you can turn Shadows on and off, Gloss Maps, etc, on and off, there will be one for Widescreen - but I'm not certain if it takes effect in any current campaigns, because I don't need to use this option.

OR

You could just go through the various resolutions available for the campaign and battle maps.

Thanx, Kaidonni, i already tried to check the "widescreen" option but nothing changed. I wonder, should one check it for widescreen monitors or for 4:3 monitors to make them look like widescreen?

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

I activated the "widescreen" option in the options menu, and I too notice that the GUI looks streched, but the campaign map and the units in battle don't look streched. I guess it's only the GUI which is streched when using a widescreen monitor.

K.K

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

i am not techie here , but just FYI am using a 6800GS and dell 2405 widescreen and it works normal with no stretching or ovals.
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Thanx to all who replied
    This is the first forum where someone actually pays attention to my question
    K.K, what's your video hardware? Video card and monitor? And what resolution do you run the game at?
    10x in advance

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead117
    Thanx to all who replied
    This is the first forum where someone actually pays attention to my question
    K.K, what's your video hardware? Video card and monitor? And what resolution do you run the game at?
    10x in advance
    I have a nVidia 6600GT. I use the widescreen option only when I connect the PC to my Plasma TV, which is widescreen. I run it at the resolution of 1280x960 pixel, 32bit. I then just activate the "widescreen" option in the graphics menu.
    I hope this helps,

K.K

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Hmm.. Basement or Tech help? I'll go for tech help.
    Moved.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.