Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Scotland - Total War

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Scotland:Total War

Medieval Scotland - Total War has been renamed to simply Scotland:TotalWar

Scotland: Total War will feature the MTW 2 engine. This mod will encapsulate the battles between rival clans and families in Scotland, and also the interaction with England, Wales, Ireland, France and the Norsemen.

Start Date - 1347 The year after the Battle of Neville's Cross

Finish Date - 1603 with the Union of the Crowns

Faction List - (Still in the works will, be based on the final number for MTW 2?)

1. Clan Armstrong
    2. Clan Bruce
    3. Clan Cameron
    4. Clan Campbell
    5. Clan Douglas
    6. Clan Fraser
    7. Clan Grant
    8. Clan Graham
    9. Clan Home
    10. Clan MacDonald
    11. Clan Macleod
    12. Clan MacIntosh
    13. Clan Scott
    14. Clan Stewart
    15. Clan Wallace
    16. England will have 7 distinct families (for civil wars) plus rebel counties
    17. France (non playable)
    18. Irish families and provinces (to be named)
    19. Norsemen (non playable)
    20. Rebel Clans of Scotland to number about 20
    21. Wales

Intended inclusions:

1. Ancient monuments such as Hadrians Wall, Antonines Wall, Iron Age Hillforts, Roman Roads, Stonehenge and other prehistoric monuments. (if Wonders are added in MTW 2)
    2. Massive Campaign map of the British Ilses, Ireland, Britanny, Normandy and Norway.
    3. Revamped trading relying on farming and new resources such as peat, kelp, fish (MM3), salt (MM3), Horses (MM3), stone, potatoes, sheep and cattle.
    4. Reemergent factions (if included in MTW 2)
    5. Emerging factions.
    6. Smaller population and economic growth.
    7. Less Walled towns for less seiges and more open battlefields.
    8. New buildings (at first dictated by MTW 2)
    9. New units (at first dictated by MTW 2)
    10. Voice mods for Scottish and Irish Gaelic, Olde English, Welsh, French and Breton
    11. Custom Battles (Battle of Neville's Cross, Towton, Tewksbury, Bosworth, Harlaw and Flodden Field )
    12. Diseases (the Pestilence will strike severely in certain towns ) , Storms, Floods, Famines will occur regularly, while Fires and Earthquakes will also occur.
    12. An alpha public Version based on BI 1.6.
    13. Weekly updates (on sundays)
    14. A County Campaign 1689 -1746 To include the Jacobite Risings
    15. Religious Festivals and Pilgrimages

The intended release date is approximately 3 months after the release of MTW 2, so there is still quite a while to go. The reason for the change of dates was I really wanted to avoid the Scottish Wars of Independece and also to avoid having to make too many emergent factions.

Obviously, at the moment the final features of MTW 2 are far from known. I will include the year (ie 1500) and a 2 turns per year system which we have been assured that the text files will still enable us to do. If events are still enabled this will also be included.

Scotland will be divided into about 50 territories which will include traditional shires and clan lands. England will have all the traditional counties with the exception of Northumberland split into 4 (including Coquetdale, Redesdale and Tynedale ) and Cumberland split into 2 (including Bewcastle Waste).

Also an area in between Scotland and England known as "The Debateable Land" which belongs to neither country will be controlled and patrolled by "broken men", brigands and riding families. To move your armies through this area will be at your own peril. More about this to follow.

Well that's all for the time being there will be further updates shortly. For more information about this mod, it is atually being hosted at:

http://www.war-arena.com/forums/

So in closing, if kilts (tartan patterned plaids), armour, swords, rain, fog, banners and Scottish Clan History is your forte, welcome to Scotland Total War

cheers all

The Border Reiver
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; March 10, 2006 at 06:33 AM.

Scotland total war seems a nice idea for the time period. And I slowly get the feeling that a "mod in progress" overview for MTW 2 is needed...
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Anarius's Avatar Senator

So nice! I'll definatly play Wales on this one..

Good idea, ive seen the movie Braveheart recently, so clan wallace is defenitly a favorite.
    I hope the claymore sword will be included(for elite units)

Sounds very promising. I would love to play this mod. Good luck!

yeah, made a mel gibson skin plz, then i will die happy after playing braveheart!

I will kick some english ass in braveheart style ;D

No Clan MacGregor? Bloody Campbell lover.

Quote Originally Posted by najak
    yeah, made a mel gibson skin plz, then i will die happy after playing braveheart!
    Why would you die happy playing a fictional character? Braveheart wasn't historically accurate. Although I like how it made people not like Robert the bruce, HA.

Indefinitely Banned

Damn... you beat me to it. I was part of a Scotland TW mod for RTW a while back, and I was planning on starting a mod like this sometime soon (probably in the Summer, though). I assume the maps will be made the same way for M2TW, so, when the game comes out, and modding is possible, I'd gladly be the mapper for this mod, if you still need one. You can PM me if you want to discuss it or anything.

Anyway, it looks very cool.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

A good idea, one that will likely be popular, if done well. I wish you guys the best of luck.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Patrician

[QUOTE=Charok]No Clan MacGregor? Bloody Campbell lover.

Hey Charok

Clan MacGregor will be an added playable faction if the faction total is increased to 30 as suggested it may be.....BTW mate I am of Clan Ross and Home blood and am no lover of the bloody Campbell's....however they will be essential to this mod succeeding!

This Sunday the 26th, my weekly update will include:

1. The game introduction
    2. An introduction to Clan Bruce and Clan Home
    3. The complete list of Playable and Rebel Scottish Clans

cheers

The Border Reiver

Hey AthiestPeace

"Damn... you beat me to it. I was part of a Scotland TW mod for RTW a while back"....i'll send you a PM soon
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; February 23, 2006 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver

BTW mate I am of Clan Ross and Home blood and am no lover of the bloody Campbell's....however they will be essential to this mod succeeding!
    The Border Reiver
    Did your clan fight against Robert the Bruce as well?

Remember you can't have Rob Roy without the MacGregor's!

Anarius's Avatar Senator

I will conqeror the isles with Wales. That would be so fun. Do you plan making longbowmen as a special unit for Wales or are you just gonna do as MTW orginal, where you could go through the game without even touching Wales, and still make longbowmen.

Patrician

[QUOTE=Charok]Did your clan fight against Robert the Bruce as well?

Not too sure about the Homes, but the Ross's were there and affixed their Seal to the Declaration of Abroath!

Anarius

I plan to make the Longbowmen for the Welsh only. They will be available as mercenaries (in a limited number of counties or shires)and in a zone of recruitment aspect as well. Who knows perhaps this time in MTW 2, CA might have them as a welsh unit only anyway!

Patrician

Default Weekly Update 1 - 26Feb2006

Hello everone

Well as planned here is my first weekly update which I had originally made as a Power Point presentation, which to my horror couldn't be uploaded here

The first few months will be primarily putting together the Scottish clan and family aspect of the game, so expect to see a lot of this.

Each clan and family will have different tartans, sometimes I will need to compromise and go for dress tartan colours as opposed to a hunting tartan so that there is variety in battles and that it makes for a more vibrant display. Each tartan will be an official registered tartan.

Now for all the diehard 100% reality only gamers out there I am more than aware that not all clans wore tartan all the time. There will be quite a mixture of clothing, obviously based on what CA have shown us so far.

The beauty of the new MTW II engine is that it will allow different clothing to be worn by people in the same units, which will enable a more realistic look for the un-uniformed dress codes of the period.

Anyway more on that later, until then I hope you all enjoy what I have done this week

cheers

The Border Reiver

Last edited by The Border Reiver; March 10, 2006 at 06:11 AM.

An Irish 'clan' would not be appropriate. Clans in Ireland held little power since the earliest period of the middle ages, and were pretty marginalized even before that. A 'clan' for the Irish was more of a grand noble house that worked inside the restraints of the kingdom. Clan wars were small, personal affairs that didn't tend to last beyond a battle. The Irish were organized into kingdoms, and, in the outset of 1169, were a single kingdom (as they had been for some time, though with contests and then rebellions) under King Rory O'Conner (Ruaidri mac Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair), who was just about to have to fight the invasion of Normans and Welsh mercenaries that his deposed rival, the rebel Dermot MacMurrough (who had been ousted pretty unanimously; if not for him, a permanent unified authority was likely to be established under Rory; he had huge support and was much loved, even in Leinster, which Dermot had been the lesser king of; the succession, while legally tanistry, had become progressively more ingrained among a small collection of noble fine {families}), had brought back to Ireland with him. While the organization of the Irish government was still quite Gaelic in character, it had taken on a wider scale, and the bonnacht system was expanded to make better use of the treasury, ensuring there was always a standing army (this came only a few decades before the invasion though, and was still developing a bit, but this system was largely responsible for Dermot being defeated so quickly and having to flee to Britain in the first place). The main 'royal families' who tended to achieve the position were the Ui Briain (O'Brien), mac Lochlainn (MacLocklan), and Ua Conchobair (O'Connor) families, who had intermarried heavily. They sometimes fought over the kingship, but those were hardly clan wars; they all controlled kingdoms in Ireland and had a huge amount of manpower; it'd also be irrelevant at this point, since Rory was uncontested but for Dermot, with support of the actual, legal Irish chiefs.

Also, kilts didn't exist in this period. The lowlanders dressed, spoke, fought, etc., like the English, and had an army ostensibly identical, but for some strong French influences. And also on a lack of uniform dress though, this is quite untrue for Gaels (and also untrue for others, when it came to actual soldiers; they may have had different designs and such, but there was often a kind of loose dress code amongst those above levies). The highlanders dressed like the Irish, which was in long shirts called a leine worn to the knee (without trousers), with a very short plaid cloak worn on the shoulders, and sometimes shoes or boots; the poor and levied soldiers would wear the shirt only to the thigh, with breeches or trews. Gaelic soldiers (Bonnacht/Buinnach; Billet-Men {professional paid soldiers}), and higher up levies (Ceithernacht/Cathernach; 'Kerns'), wore a padded coat as well (or other armor if they could afford it; that can vary widely, but all professional soldiers and their squires tended to have some padding), and some might have a sword, though most used spears or axes, and used javelins. Clothing wise, there were, depending on region, various social laws that required them to dress in certain manners (concealing the upper body and what not), and was heavily influenced by class. That said; tartan didn't exist. There were no 'clan' colors yet (this is a much, much later advent). So there can be a great variety of plaids worn (as well as checkers and stripes), as well as hair styles, helmets, shield styles (many types were used, not just round shields), and weapons all varied greatly, but the basic outfit of a soldier was the same depending on his class. In addition, Gaelic aristocracy/knights/etc. would wear decorated, loose (so they could move freely) robes, cloaks, often with a mail hauberk over it, and some with as much as a plate harness. Also, there's facial hair to vary; most Gaels did not wear thick facial hair, but the more Norse influenced would. Others preferred mustaches (easier to clean and maintain).

Also, as for voice mods; while not bad for later periods, the languages spoken in Ireland and Scotland were the same language before the 1460s at earliest; they were a dialect of one language. However, the pressures of Norman influences affected both in different ways, so the two diverged. The exception is in the Hebrides and other islands that were under the control of Norway; there a mash language of Gaelic and Norse existed, as well as a mash culture; essentially Norse warriors in Gaelic clothing (it's from them that we get the gallowglass mercenaries; the Irish and Scots, and anyone else who wanted, hired a great deal of them).

Clothing and banner wise, Gaels had a lot of pageantry. What would be more accurate for differentiating clans (and even families within clans) would be various standards and banners representing different chiefs (and lords, for that matter; would be good for other factions and regions too). Gaels did not associate (at least in Ireland) a banner or mark with a family though, but a region (if you conquered an area and resettled it, the new family there would adopt the local banner or make a new one for the locality, but did not have a family banner to take with them). Anyway; I'd assume that banners can be varied (if carried by a standard bearer 'officer') like any other object on a unit, so having a multitude of possible standards would do a lot for appearances.

Mind you, this is more of a historical accuracy caveat; I don't know how accurate you wish to be. Just, if you want to be, should be mindful that kilts and tartan are not remotely in period (though are great for the Jacobite stuff you may wish to do). The clothing of actual Gaels and how they fought varies heavily from what people seem to think, and looks pretty unique, but one then also needs keep in mind, not all Scots were Gaels; there were Normans, Anglo-Saxons, Britons, and even some Flems that lived in the lowlands (and outnumbered a much smaller Gaelic minority), and the highlanders were affected by the Norse as well (with many having settled there). It all gets rather complicated, and complicates what was present in a Gaelic army substantially beyond what some people realize (the whole idea of 'wild clansmen' seems a bit common, and is over-romantic; it's far more sterile and similar to other armies of the period, with regiments, standard bearers, command hierarchies, etc., though it does have some nuances, like how levies were organized and such).
    Last edited by Ranika; February 25, 2006 at 10:45 PM.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

wOOt! Another Ranika demi-essay. I learn so much from him.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Patrician

Ok here is a quick update!

The use of the word kilt in the opening blurb, was to grab peoples attention as the word is synonymous with Scotland, clans and bagpipes. I felt that if i had used terms such as "feileadh mors", "feileadh beags", "plaids" or "caveats" it may have lacked the initial impact I was looking for. The modern kilt as we now see it would also be highly inaccurate for the Jacobite campaign that I am concurrently working on.

The use of the word "clan" for the Irish was a typo, it should read faction (so much for proof reading) . I got so carried away typing the word clan......that I just kept going. Also, with regards to the Irish (although not historically correct) I was considering perhaps 3 or 4 different factions (depending on final faction count of CA) or actually not making it a playable faction. In my campaign the French and the Norsemen will not be made playable factions, certainly the individual player can, but they will be there primarily for trading, diplomacy, mercenaries and invasions.

On slide 5 and 6 everyone will notice the each clan has been assigned it's own "Descent" (faction creator if you will) - Saxon (Home), Norman (Bruce). I displayed this so that people who were unaware will know that not all Scottish clans and families were born in Scotland.

Also in the opening blurb I used the term Black Death which does not appear until the 18th Century, this word should be replaced with the "Pestilence".

I also implied that 100% diehard historical fans may have a problem with Scottish Border clans wearing Tartan. I have not mentioned how I intend to introduce the wearing of Tartan in the South, but this will occur because several clans will have lands in the Highlands, Lowlands and Borders. It will also occur either through a script or a building timed for the period 1300 - 1400. This will try and emulate historically (subjective term) the appearance of Highland names which began to appear in the Borders through mercenaries, military service, immigration or trade.

This mod will not be 100% historical accurate as this is a game, and reality sometimes will be too hard to emulate (and a wee bit plain). I would love to have the correct line of kings and queens appear as they did in real life but this is impossible. I also cannot program the Dissolution of the Monasteries and other events This will have a positively delightful blend of history and at times romanticism.

There is also the possibility that the Jacobite ending campaign will commence at the Battle of Harlaw in 1411 and that this campaign will end just before.

Anyway please keep coming with ideas and creative criticism, but if we can keep them in relative point form as essays are harder to concentrate on when you are skim reading.

cheers

The Border Reiver

Sorry, I do have a tendency to ramble, but I'll try and break things up a bit more;

The Irish - There should be an Irish faction, but I wouldn't say to split it up, unless it was between the three noble families, but even then, the O'Briens and MacLocklans were pretty subdued by O'Connor at the time. However, the Irish played a major part in most of the wars in the period in some form or another; they had a tendency to provide aide to Scotland (though after the 'conquest' by the Normans {fairly vapor conquest}, only Desmond (Munster) and Connacht seemed ready to give Scotland much direct help; Ulstermen and Leinstermen had a tendency to fight for the English). I should hope Ireland will be broken up a bit better than it tends to be in TW; it's not that small an island compared to Britain (and if you're focusing on the isles, then it seems reasonable), and had a lot of fortresses and a few pre-Norman 'block' castles already in place at the time, as well as a number of major trade cities (Cork was one of the most important cities in the islands due to the large moors and such). If there could be emerging factions (and CA allows more factions), that'd probably do the best justice; if the English captured X-territories, it becomes Leinster/Ulster/Connacht/Desmond, as it actually did, and they more or less do what they want (which they had a tendency to), but that's really wishful thinking.

Appearance wise, as mentioned (the same could be said of the highlanders for the most part; however, this is more begging for realistic Irish, as the kilt isn't a remotely Irish piece of clothing despite some bad misconceptions; however, if done as such, and it'd not be a huge issue, the same units could be used for a lot of highland Scotland, but for some specifics, like there'd be no hobilar in Scotland). There are;

Kerns (Ceithernacht) - A thigh length shirt, tight trousers or breeches, some wore a leather poncho of some manner, and those who fought in prolonged melee wore a padded coat. There were, in this, generally; archers, skirmishers, light spearmen/pikemen, and esquires (who were armed in a rather hodgepodge manner, but usually had the best armor {including helmets, which the others often lacked} and weapons in this class, as they had a master who provided them; they fought as shock troops and sometimes light cavalry). If they could carry it, most would carry a few spears or light javelins (darts).

Soldiers (Bonnacht) - A knee-length, loose fitting shirt with a padded coat over it, a belt, and pleats in the 'skirt', a short plaid cloak, many at this time had begun wearing helmets, and each regiment had a standard bearer dressed similarly, with a banner for their region. They fought divided into groups that extrapolated their purpose; close melee (armed with swords and axes and such), storming (a bit of a later advent, long-handled axes or larger swords, or gallowglass {who, incidentally, tended to use axes originally, then swords}, meant to storm a fortress and break heavy infantry lines), line soldiers (spears or pikes, usually with a sword or long knife carried as a back up), and cavalry. Almost all carried spears to throw.

Knights/Aristocracy (Ridire/Arras) - A loose robe, sometimes decorated, a hauberk of mail or better, a plaid cloak, a helmet, and a variety of weapons. Gaelic 'knights' were meant to augment troops, and did not form cores; they would be drawn up in blocks near other soldiers. Also included in this class (I always make a point to mention) are Hobilar in Ireland (both Irish and English hobilar). The hobilar is not light cavalry in origin; they were an Irish imitation of Norman knights, but on lighter, faster hobby ponies that had less trouble with Irish terrain. French and English copies elsewhere lightened their armor severely to increase their mobility, but the Irish hobilar is a knight, armed with javelins, a Gaelic lance (used overhand), and a sword or axe. Technically, these men would be classed as 'bonnachti', since they were paid the same way (kerns were paid by their masters because they were attendants, not by any kind of organized pay system). However, their dress is different enough I think it merited mentioning.

Weaponry and Armor of the Irish - This was the period of the ring-hilt. It was so common that it largely defines medieval Irish weapons, particularly swords (though some axes and the like feature a similar accoutrement). It's not at all difficult to find depictions of it. Spears were really common. Knives were carried on almost everyone (more of an art thing; would be good to see most with a knife in their belt somewhere). Axes had a lot of use, including bearded, and 'inverted' axes (a bearded axe, with the blade hafted upside down, essentially). Greatswords came into use about the same time they did in Britain, though for different reasons; more for cutting down light infantry and storming forts than fighting heavy infantry, though they could. Most swords had a straight guard, or an 's' guard, though there's plenty of variety in their design and shape. Some Irish swords were used in Scotland, and vice versa. Welsh swords (essentially Welsh-Norman hybrids) were also used. Javelins were in wide use, and longbows were introduced to Ireland fairly early and found some use, particularly by the earls of Ulster and Desmond (Cormac MacCarthy had a few regiments of them, though apparently used them as garrisons; they didn't attend with his troops when he fought for the Scots at Bannockburn, though, only about a 1/3rd of his army did anyway). Armor was usually a padded coat, a helmet, and a shield (which varied widely in design and shape). Also, mail was worn, plate harnesses (just the cuirass and tassets mainly), and helmets of many types, both traditional and imported designs.

Clothing, Kilts specifically - Just more notes on kilts for the curious, not necessarily a huge matter to the mod I suppose. Feileadh mor didn't exist until the end of 16th century, and the feileadh beag not till after. Worn at the time was the brat (which some Norman-Scots still wore, though the rest of their clothing was more or less English; however, their brats were generally longer, and probably more of an alcadh {a typical mantle or cloak}, but they would feature a plaid pattern; however, I believe these were removed for battle and more of a dress item). I always thought the leine looked better though; from a distance it actually doesn't look much different from a kilt (part of the confusion) except that the 'skirt' (it was often refered as such) is the same color as the shirt...because it's part of the shirt; however, with a belt worn, as was the style, and that the 'skirt' portion was pleated, it gave it a rather 'kilt' like look that people often misjudge on statues to actually be a kilt, though if anyone reads earlier descriptions of their clothing, it clearly isn't (a lot of folks qoute Magnus Barefoot, but he's quite plainly dressed in a leine, not a kilt, with a brat {the 'upper garment'}).

Another mistake is misunderstanding a cuton in depictions; a similar long shirt, worn without trousers, and sometimes with vertical stitching. On statues and stonecuts and such, some people mistake it for pleating. Also, of feileadh mor, if you're going to use it, it should at least look appropriate; it was worn around the shoulders. However, some were particularly long, so they gathered them about the waist and wore a belt with it to keep it from being a nuisance (mind you, all this was still worn over a leine). The first definite reference to it (no earlier one can be said to definitely be a belted plaid; many are most likely leine and brat) would be Life of Red Hugh O’Donnell, ironically, an Irish work, by Lughaidh O’Clery. He describes some mercenaries from the Hebrides (gallowglass) hired in 1594;

'These were recognized among the Irish by the difference of their arms and clothing, their habits and language, for their exterior dress was mottled cloaks to the calf of the leg with ties and fastenings. Their girdles were over the loins outside the cloaks.'

Pegaso models, which is very...hit or miss (some times they're just way off, other times they do pretty well), actually has a fairly well done reproduction of an Irish knight in the 14th century, though he could just as easily be a highland Scot, which his long decorated robe and hauberk, though he is lacking a cloak, and has a beard, though that isn't so unusual; Gaels, while not generally fond of thick facial hair, would grow beards if they could afford to maintain it (meaning that they probably had a servant or two who's job was to trim, clean, shave, etc., as needed).

I think that's it for this rant.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

I think that the factions need to be rethought. Firstly, the word 'clan' is not appropriate for many of the Scottish factions (Clan Bruce? Clan Wallace? I don't think so). You have left out many factions that would seem to be far more obvious, such as Comyn, Buchan, the Lordship of the Isles, etc. There should be many Irish clans, not just one, Wales should not really be a single country (or if it is, then I'd give it a different name). I think that the timescale is too big for a mod focusing solely on Britain, because it would lack external influences (such as France, the Pope etc.) that over such a long period would be too important to miss out. Why don't you make it solely focused around Scotland's First War of Independence (ie. 1296-1324, I think)? That would be rather interesting, in my view.

Tell you what, you should read the Robert the Bruce Trilogy by Nigel Tranter (for anyone interested in Scottish history, this book is truly excellent). That is extremely historically accurate and captures the spirit of the times perfectly. Plus it's very enjoyable simply as a novel. At any rate, I'm sure that if this was a mod about the First War of Independence, with some considerable refinements, it would be extremely good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea
    I think that the factions need to be rethought. Firstly, the word 'clan' is not appropriate for many of the Scottish factions (Clan Bruce? Clan Wallace? I don't think so). You have left out many factions that would seem to be far more obvious, such as Comyn, Buchan, the Lordship of the Isles, etc. There should be many Irish clans, not just one, Wales should not really be a single country (or if it is, then I'd give it a different name). I think that the timescale is too big for a mod focusing solely on Britain, because it would lack external influences (such as France, the Pope etc.) that over such a long period would be too important to miss out. Why don't you make it solely focused around Scotland's First War of Independence (ie. 1296-1324, I think)? That would be rather interesting, in my view.

Tell you what, you should read the Robert the Bruce Trilogy by Nigel Tranter (for anyone interested in Scottish history, this book is truly excellent). That is extremely historically accurate and captures the spirit of the times perfectly. Plus it's very enjoyable simply as a novel. At any rate, I'm sure that if this was a mod about the First War of Independence, with some considerable refinements, it would be extremely good.
    I'll argue here again; there should not be Irish 'clans'. Ireland was in the hands of one king, or three noble families, depending on how you want to look at it. So it'd either be one faction, or three factions representing the holdings of the noble houses. Irish clans were not indepedent, they were sworn to the service of one of the three, and having them as 'clans' would be way off. The 'clan' level of authority was little different than having various counts in a kingdom; it'd be like carving England up into each regional lord. The Irish clans didn't hold nearly enough power. Their disputes were so infinitely small as to be irrelevant in the time period. The more realistic approach is a single Irish kingdom or the noble houses, but even the houses weren't much interested in fighting eachother anymore; that's why they threw Dermot out in the first place; they had a unified authority and they wanted to keep it that way, so they wanted to get rid of the bad egg who wanted to start up the inter-kingdom wars again, so he could become king himself. While the royal families factions have 'clan' names, they'd be more a composition of many, many clans.

Individual clans weren't running around trying to make a name for themselves. Irish clan war was about personal disputes, and didn't involve taking land (for that matter, did Scottish clan wars?), so additionally, having clans would be inaccurate; they had no intention of running about conquering one another; they had no interest in that, since clan wars happened within the same kingdom. The only time a new clan moved into an old clan territory was if the kingdom they were part of conquered the land. Only the kingdoms actually tried to conquer much of anything, and then were just noble families who competed politically for land in most cases, but paid tribute to a single king, which isn't that different from a feudal kingdom (though Gaels weren't feudal; they had to raise a volunteer army and such {as such, they should have somewhat inflated troop costs, since their soldiers had to be paid more on average since they were employed, not levied, since clan chiefs could only bring what soldiers they paid; those paid soldiers would levy their attendants and such into the kerns}). In that sense, they should also have a number of traits possible for lowering that cost (inspiring loyalty and such should lower cost, since they'd demand less pay).
    Last edited by Ranika; February 26, 2006 at 02:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast