Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinta Macedonica Legio - completed and retitled in honour.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: IB SAI AAR - The Nowhere Legion

You are not wrong to see the symbolism, Diocle!

In The Least Often Stands the Most

Dust and the smell of vomit filled my lungs. Thunder vibrated beneath my feet and always above me hissed the never-ending stream of arrows and darts. My throat ached with a thirst I could barely recall ever having suffered before. Around me, the men of the Second stood similarly afflicted. We were twenty men wide and eight men deep, hunkered down behind the wall of the acanthus flowers, all now stained and mottled with blood. Before us lay a testament to our tenacity and resolve – that mangled heap of horse and rider which now rose like a briar of the dead. We had stood the initial assault and it had foundered like a broken wave upon our iron – and now we stood aching and parched behind the shields, our line firm, our standards high. Before us, the desert of the Harra unrolled with its grisly contents: weeping men in cracked armour, wild-eyed horses wrapped up in blood and gashes, torn standards doused with gore and now unrecognisable. The remnants of those proud Saraceni cataphracts tumbled backwards baffled and angry at our resolve and we stood silent and firm in the face of that confusion. That wave fell backwards in a wreath of dust and kicking hooves – and in its stead arose another wave moving swiftly forwards on our left flank straight into the serried ranks of Barko’s lads in the Third Maniple.

I remember standing on the far left of the Maniple, Suetonius behind me with the draco high and behind him the vexillarius. Over my right shoulder lay the bulk of the legionaries under my immediate command – but to my left opened up a space barely a dozen steps wide. It was a narrow corridor; an empty channel that would accommodate no more than one or two desperate warriors foolish enough to run that gauntlet. And on the other side stood the first of the lads under Barko – again some one hundred and sixty legionaries in a solid block twenty men wide and eight men deep. Far over on its left flank, I knew Barko stood with his own standards, his narrow, wrinkled face, grinning even as these Saraceni foot fell upon them all. For one insane moment, his eyes caught mine with a sardonic light – and then all the front rank of his lads fell into a crimson wash as chaos covered everything.

These Saraceni warriors, all grasping long spears and shoving forwards the high wide wicker shields of the desert peoples, charged forwards onto that right flank even as their cataphracts disengaged and fell back all pell-mell and a-tumbling over their dead and dying. I had a glimpse of savage desert faces with narrow hawk-eyes and oily beards – and then the taut Latin of the biarchii in the front ranks rose up bidding the lads to remain firm and hold to the standards. War-cries and the clash of spear and sword drowned out any sense then and the dust of the Black Desert seemed to rise up deliberately to swallow them all up.

I remember standing then among my own lads as if in a well of silence but of course it was not silent. I remember looking around as if gazing in a dream at the peace about me but of course this was no dream but a nightmare. Finally, I remember smiling in peace as I stood observing all this as if from a great distance but of course it was barely a dozen tiny steps to my left.

And I remember hearing a legionary near me shout out that we were going to let the Third be slaughtered while we stood by and did nothing?

Were we? Yes, for we were Romans. One thing alone allowed us that name and that was discipline. That great lost goddess who walked in the shadow of every soldier and unit of Rome – disciplina, the hoary old crone who scolded us and mocked us and brought harsh blows down upon our backs if we faltered or wavered under the standards. She was a cruel goddess – of that there was no denying – but at least one could say that she did not discriminate. She either looked you in the eye or she spat upon you and caused shame to rise in your gullet. Her eye missed nothing and her finger, when it pointed you out, burned into you like a molten dart. She was old, yes, and mottled like a hag. Her kiss was cold and her embrace held no balm, only recognition. She was the oldest of the goddesses and it was said that only one offering would appease her in war and battle – and that was a single flower plucked from those first fields and meadows of Rome. Such a little flower and of a bloom that only ever reeked of blood. Was it any wonder we adorned our shields with that flower plucked by Octavian Augustus so many centuries ago?

So yes we would stand. Discipline demanded no less.

But that smell of vomit haunted me even as blood and confusion and death fell not a dozen steps to my left. I turned and ordered the biarchus in charge of those eight men near me – one of whom had shouted out that provocation – to report to me after the battle and the tone in my voice made his face pale into a white mask. Above us, filed the thin slivers of darts and arrows flicking one way and then another but all seemed to either fall short or too far behind us. It was as if we stood in a little pocket of space – a hallowed ground untouched by all the fighting around us. It was an illusion of course and a dangerous one. These Saraceni under this Kalb we merely probing us and attempting to find a weak chink in the armour of our lines – and this little reserve of peace we now stood in was as much a trick and a tactic as the blood and screams not a dozen paces to my left. It was a trick I was not going to fall into – despite the frustrations of the legionaries about me.

Time seemed to hang then. We stood alone and motionless apart for the little twitches of sword hand on hilt, the stretching of the helmeted head to one side and then the other, the shaking of the booted foot. We stood as if spectators and at our side our companions in the Macedonica tumbled inevitably down into death. The Saraceni foot swarmed then on all sides and even bled into that little corridor such was their bravura. Behind me, I heard men curse in deep frustration but those curses were always followed now by the sharp retort of the biarchii following my lead.

And all the while vomit rose up in me even as it fell on me in a great stench.

I glanced back once far behind me into the glittering ranks of those armoured riders about the Dux Cassianus. The heat shimmered between us and gave everything a low glassy touch but I swear I saw him lounging back upon his horse as if laughing at some lewd joke uttered by one if his guards. Only as I turned to forget that sight did I see my Tribune Angelus on foot among his officers to the rear and he alone of them all seemed to find my gaze and bring that dark cold Syrian look upon me. There was no relief in that look as I knew there would not be. Discipline allowed no favourites.

It was then as I turned back into that stench which lay before us on the field of battle that I saw a ragged soldier scramble down among us, his dirty tunica all besmirched with grime and blood. This rough man fell in among us cursing like whore and then tumbled over the slaughtered carcass of a Saraceni horse to reach us in the front ranks. For a moment, he crouched underneath that mass of rent flesh and then sighted his arcuballistae to fire it cunningly into the Saraceni warriors massing around the Third. I saw a plumed warrior jerk backwards, his thick black beard arcing up as if in surprise like a latch on a door, and then disappear into the wall of fighting. This numeri grinned at that and began to reload his wooden weapon. Impatient, I reached out and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck to drag him into the protection of the shields.

He winked at me and then slotted a thin dart along the narrow runnel. ‘Greetings, dominus,’ he said, ‘Me and the lads were wondering if we might do you a favour.’

‘Favour? What in Hades are you talking about?’ I snapped back at him. The numeri on my right had drifted back in open order when the cataphracts had all fallen on us and were now hovering loosely behind us in-between the Second Maniple and the refused Maniple under the Sebastianus. A few of them were dashing forwards to pepper the Saraceni riders now massing below us to shield the retreating cataphracts.

‘Well,’ he spat out, ‘the line must hold, eh? And you fancy legion lads can’t move right?’ There was an insolence to his attitude and for a moment I had an urge to ram the pommel of my spatha into his stomach – but something held me back.

‘The Dux has ordered us to hold the line, tiro,’ I replied in a harsh voice, belittling his status. ‘We cannot advance the line forwards unless specifically ordered to.’

‘That’s right, dominus.’ He looked carefully around him and then leaned in as if to confide a secret. ‘But we are nothing but numeri, right, dominus? We skirmish before line, right? All we ever do is dance about like drunken boys after a holy day, eh? We thought it might be to the Ducenarius’ liking if we danced now, eh? Right out there in that empty ground amid all that lovely horse-flesh for cover –'

‘-And shoot those wooden arcuballistae of yours into the flanks of those Saraceni?’ I finished for him.

‘If it please the dominus, yes. We wouldn’t be moving the line forwards now would we, eh? Not if you all stand here in your fancy armour and hold that bloody line, eh?’ He winked then and grinned such a rat grin that I almost wanted to hug him.

I glanced out across that field of death and desert and realised in a heartbeat that it was a murderous ground. We stood unbowed in it because we were clad in armour and hunkered down behind our oval shields – the ragged numeri would not have that advantage. I turned back to him – but he was already nodding back as if diving my thoughts.

‘Don’t worry, dominus. We dance well and Aemilianus has taught us that dancing fools who cavort well may strike where veteran soldiers cannot, eh?’

‘Well, tiro,’ I grinned back into his rat face, ‘what are you waiting for? Show us your moves!’

He laughed in an insane way then and vanished as quickly as he arrived, ducking in and under the bodies around him. Barko didn’t know it yet but we were both obeying orders and breaking them and, as I looked about me into the fierce faces of the legionaries of the Second, I knew they all approved. I prayed to all the gods then that Angelus would see the sense of it.

‘Hold the line!’ I shouted out – and all along that line my men twirled the oval shields in approval and the petals spun as if the sun itself opened up to them.

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

I loved the passage on disciplina. And as usual, the screenshots are really really good. You always get the right angles and am quite fond of the blur effect you use. This update was certainly worth the wait my friend!

Also, congratulations on the MAARC!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

SEVERITAS AC DISCIPLINA,
    ACERRIME EXIGETE DISCIPLINA!

SBH I read the story and I fell the battle! I would have moved to help those poor comerades, but the great old goddess leaft Hesperia many, many years ago! They are right, hold the line!
    Great the 'tiro' character! with a rat face!!! Good man! I hope he will survive, but those like him often return home alive, they are even more cunning than death!!

Write, write my friend, you are great! and I'll wait for the future developments of the story, hoping the Gods will smile to our good men lost in that red-hot desert!

Thanks, Knonfoda - and congratulations to you also for coming first in a worthy competition. A thoroughly well-deserved win there. As for the pictures, to be honest the battle itself alsways seems to throw up such great events that I can't but write about them!

Diocle, I love our Latin phrases - I wish I had that command over the language. As for the rat-faced limitanei, you are right - men like that always seems to gain advantage in even the bleakest of situations!

Amazing job, SBH! I've been following AARs for a long time but, to my utter embarrassment, only on the MTW page...I wasn't even aware of the RTW section! Honestly, nothing there comes even close to the travails of the Quinta. This is really something you have in here, keep up the good work!
    [CW] Zero Kelvin [in progress]
    [MTW2 SS] Weder heilig noch Römisch [on a ridiculously long hiatus]
    [RTW RS] My dearest Clymene [a single-chapter commemoration]
    [RTW RS] The enemy of my enemy [suspended]
    [MTW2 SS] Snakes in the sands [suspended]
    [MTW2 SS] Omnes viae Romam ducunt [suspended]

SBH my dear, I did not remember the closing date of the vote!!!! My mistake, (as I said I start feeling my age!!) excuse me, but I would have vote for you and knonfoda, so in this case I would not have change the result! Sorry again!!
    But I do not like the way in which the vote is announced! It should be more highlighted the closing date of the vote!!!!It is very difficult to find all the informations about the vote!!!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Sir Winston Churchill was quite good with a quote or two, I think this suits this situation:

Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Churchill it seems was a devotio of disciplina! Thanks for the quote, ybbon66!

As for the vote, Diocle - a worthy winner was found a what better way to celebrate all our AARs?! Regardless of who voted? Next time!

Yeepeep - thanks for your words -the Quinta Macedonica Legio has sucked you in now and you will never be released from its ranks!

That Shore Which Wrecks Only The Broken

It was a killing ground – a ground of maimed flesh and wounded bodies, all pressed together under a dark mantle of darts and missiles which sheeted above without let. There was an almost blasphemous aspect to it in the manner in which the dark sand glistened and threw into relief those butchered corpses – almost as if the gods mocked each little sacrifice and embalmed all in a cheap mantle which reeked of gold but was nothing but the endless dust of the Harra. To its rear skirled the waves of Saraceni riders dancing and jinking about as if daring us to advance towards them over their fallen brethren while on our right the surviving cataphracts were massing and edging forwards again but now over towards the refused Maniple under Sebastianus. And there on the left all was chaos and bloody ruin as a mass of Saraceni foot, now peppered with eager horsemen, fell upon and beat a savage frenzy upon Barko and his lads. But before us was that killing ground – that space of the dead and dying all now mashed up.

It was a ground that now saw scores of ragged Roman numeri fall into it like rats scampering among the detritus of the living. They moved adroitly and with a speed with seemed to belie their dirty and mongrel appearance – dashing forwards in tight sections of eight men, each such section seeming to cover another one with a swift volley of their narrow wooden darts. I watched and slowly found myself smiling a grim smile as these small soldiers in those shabby tunicas nibbled and snapped their way forwards over the ruinous bodies of men and horses, mess-tent by mess-tent, in support of each other, firing and re-loading with a careless abandon which actually masked a deep almost chaotic cohesion so at odds to the tight ranks and shields along my right flank. I saw grizzled faces pucker up and aim and then hawk into the dust as another Saraceni was plucked suddenly down into Hades, a small dart in his neck or sprouting from his chest or drilling deep into his eye-socket. These desperate ragged numeri scrambled and tumbled and jigged across this killing ground, firing and covering and reloading, and all the while they swore with abandon or laughed manically into the dust or spat up into the wind as if daring Fate itself to dash their bones into oblivion.

I saw a different Rome then; one at odds to the long lines of the legions and the pampered ranks of the cavalry vexillations; one which held to a different discipline in which each man scrambled among the dead in a mangy wolf-pack of brethren; a Rome in which the dregs and skulkers of our empire fought with a canny wit no drill-master or campidoctor in a legion would ever understand. And these men fell in among this killing ground – in that dark space glittering with its mocking sand, deep among that bower of the dead – and I swear even as they did so, that entire exposed flank of Saraceni foot seemed to melt into a crimson wash, cut down, swept away, and dissolved into a rent curtain mottled with blood.

I turned back and saw our Dux Cassianus gesticulating furiously with his guards and officers and repressed a savage smile. Already runners were spreading out from his coterie and far over to my right high up among the serried ranks of the Clibanarii under Parthenius, I could see the troopers dropping their faceplates and grasping their long two-handed contus lances in anticipation of the arrival of those runners.

We had not advanced a foot - not one single foot – and yet we had provoked that Armenian into ordering his precious elite cavalry to begin their devastating charge. I vowed to whatever gods were listening that if that little ragged man who broached the lines to sing his song of dance to me survived, I would throw him all the gold coin I owned in my belt purse – and sing my own song of praise to Aemilianus if we ever made it out of this death-trap and back to the castellum at Nasranum.

The Second stood its ground even as the Third staggered under the waves of these Saraceni – and a little knot of rough men in no armour and no helmets, bearing nothing but tiny wooden arcuballistae, advanced under cover of the dead to worm their way into the flanks of these Saraceni foot. And I smiled for Barko – even though he knew it not – was receiving reinforcements from the most unlooked for angle.

And then the thunder arrived and all along our flanks the great grim shining statues of Praxiteles swooped down, each face frozen in a rictus of death . . .
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; January 11, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

"And then the thunder arrived......", waiting, with curiosity and apprehension.

Who knows what was the reloading times of those deadly 'arcuballiste'?
    The medieval xbows had a long reloading times which made almost indispensabile, in the open ground, the use of Pavises; now these misterious Roman arcuballiste used manual reloading, (or mechanical? I do not think that was another weapon!) so the times could be faster.., anyway a good weapon, I presume!

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

You should have a little multiplayer game with us Diocle, only then will you trully appreciate the deadliness of these units, much favoured by SBH

Excellent update as always SBH, I am really looking forward to this charge!

I'm for peace and love brother Knonfoda, I'll remain away from your multip. fields of battle, as a wise man I'll read some good classic, pray the true Gods, I'll do sacrifices to Janus and Sol Invictus!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I've resorted to smileys as I have no words left to describe how good this is.

Chelchal's Avatar Civis

I saw a different Rome then; one at odds to the long lines of the legions and the pampered ranks of the cavalry vexillations; one which held to a different discipline in which each man scrambled among the dead in a mangy wolf-pack of brethren; a Rome in which the dregs and skulkers of our empire fought with a canny wit no drill-master or campidoctor in a legion would ever understand.
    And then the thunder arrived and all along our flanks the great grim shining statues of Praxiteles swooped down, each face frozen in a rictus of death
    I'd pay to read lines like these in a book.

Chelchal - done. When may I expect a cheque?!

ybbon66 - I think that post has to qualify as the post with the most(est) smilies I have ever had for an AAR! Thanks! (That's not a challenge to anyone, by the way!).

Diolce, Konofoda - ah that charge, I can still hear the thunder . . . as for the acruballistae, we know little about them but ingame they can be deadly if used carefully but as always the men are VERY vulnerable - as I found out online the other day!

Y'm wrong if I see a touch of Sharpe's B.Cronwell Novels here, with these hard snipers not totally line infantry but quite deadly?

Yes, it is interesting that the word 'sniper' is a late one, in terms of the military - sharpshooting being more the term used. I found this out when I wrote a play last year about the English Civil War and a regiment of sharpshooters made up mostly of women - 'posemen', as they were known. In Roman terms, sharpshooters and skirmishers existed and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that these rough men would operate out in front and pick off the gaudily dressed officers and standard-bearers. The arcuballistae existed but why? It only existed on the battlefield for a purpose and I wonder if that purpose was direct target-specific missile fire as opposed to the mass firing of the darts and arrows? The crossbow has a low arc I think which would facilitate sniping or sharpshooting whereas the other Roman missle weapons were primarily volley and high arc firing weapons. But I speculate here!
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; January 14, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

IMO you are speculating very well SBH, it is very plausible for them a different use from mass firing bowmen!!
    Genoa had those hated xbows because they used them on the ships without pavises and on the ships the reloading time was not a great problem!

Yes, sharpshooters!!!! Not snipers!!
    My interest about 30YW and ECW was and is great, my first 15 mm. wargame army was an early parlamentarian army: Earl of Manchester green coats lined red, lord Brooke purple guys, one red coat rgt, earl of Essex Orange rgt, one regt. (12 fig.) of 'Haselrigge Lobsters' (my best 15 mm paint work in that age), one rgt of horse back/breast and helmets, two batteries of sakers, and some militia men, what wonderful memories!! Now sadly they are sleeping somewhere in card boxes, no time for painting miniatures!!!

There were women sharptroopers ? So it is real? I read this somewhere but I completly forgotten!! SBH You are a unvaluable resurce as well a great writer, proud to be your friend!!!!

If you like the ECW you may like this old unfinished AAR of mine, Diocle. As for women sharpshooters in that period - one regiment had over 50% women in it paid at the Third Rate Sex (First Rate were male soldiers, Second Rate were women washers and cooks, Third Rate were women who dressed as men and fought as sharpshooters. A single regimental list has survived in a parish record with its payscales. I don't want to give too much away here as this is the wrong forum but I used that find to write a cracking play 'A Little Winter Love' to explore that whole issue of women fighting at the dawn of the British Army . . . Great stuff.

Quoting the good Chelcal, I also would pay for your pages dear SBH! (Do you see? You already have two readers, the greatest Italian writer of the XIX c., Alessandro Manzoni, referring to his public said: 'My four readers!', you are halfway!!!)

Thanks for the link, I'll read all!!

P.S.:
    Let me say only a last thing about English women in the ECW: In my knowledge this is the first exemple in the European History of official woman enrollment for war!!!! In the Landsknechte armies there were women but not in the fighting ranks!!! This for sure would be a very, very interesting subject for an history book!!! Again, I'd pay for it!!