Thread: Coverting SAI to the Alex.exe

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Coverting SAI to the Alex.exe

Sweet..please do tell, which ones?

Signature made by Joar

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

I would like to know as well!
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

So whats the word guys? does this come with the newest patch? or is it yet to be released?

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Sorry to bump this thread but any idea when this will be released? Four new legions and the Alex engine sound great to me
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

So is this complete?
    Blut und Boden

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

bump

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

hello hello. I would just like to know if the alex units have been worked on at all? or any chance of uploading them?
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hannibalcaesar did this with Rio's IBFD. PM him. I think the thread for adding shield wall to Alex is still on my forums somewhere.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Big news here. I've managed to get custom battles to work finally, using the information below I got off The Guild website. I will attempt over the coming weeks to create a proper SAI-Alex version which will still have the 3 current campaigns but am thinking of adding a fourth (376AD) involving an old foe.

This was posted by Bardo on The Guild's website on 31st August 2009 can you believe it.

having got BI based campaign (and campaign battles) loading under Alex.exe.... any idea what stops custom battles based on same map loading under Alex? have tried most permutations I can think of for either copying BI mod campaign map files and naming Alexander / imperial_campaign which didn't work, and also tried importing original Alexander base map / campaign files... anything I try is giving KTM without error message
    I have been making some tests to try to understand the correct folder structure so Custom and Historical Battles can work under Alexander TW:

The related files are placed at these folders:

1) \data\world\maps\campaign\Battlefields\
    2) \data\world\maps\base\
    3) and the file: \data\text\Battlefields_regions_and_settlement_nam es.txt

You need to copy a descr_strat.txt (DS) file into this folder for the Custom Battles (CB) to work. It seems you can copy any DS from any campaign. I have tested with the DS from our mod, the DS of vanilla Alex and also from vanilla RTW. It seems they all work.
    You do not need any other file into this folder.

You need to copy some files into this folder.The list used by the vanilla Alex and also our lotr-tw mod is:

descr_disasters.txt
    descr_regions.txt
    descr_terrain.txt
    map_climates.tga
    map_FE.tga
    map_features.tga
    map_ground_types.tga
    map_heights.tga
    map_regions.tga
    map_roughness.tga
    map_trade_routes.tga
    water_surface.tga

You do not need the .tgas once the map.rwm has been generated. But I suggest to keep them all.

3) \data\text\Battlefields_regions_and_settlement_nam es.txt
    Finally, the most recent discovery is that you need this file to fit with the region names of \data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt

My problem was that I though Battlefields_regions_and_settlement_names.txt should fit with
    \data\world\maps\campaign\Battlefields\descr

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

A possible new campaign? Sounds interesting... Most interesting. I'm glad that you finally worked things out. Anyway, apart from the possible new campaign and the possibility of having custom faces for generals, what does the new version bring?

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

A few more units and i think that Alex.AI can retrain ?
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

.. few more units, few more units, ... few more units ... few more comitatenses units ..... it's ... it sounds so sweet!

@Sertorio

I can confirm Alex ai can retrain, is more well rounded, slightly better BAI/CAI, and better performance. I view those much higher than several custom formations which the ai doesn't use plus are rather buggy.
    炸鸡

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Indeed but shieldwall is important. It. Plays an important part in my SAI battle tactics.
    Last edited by Sertorio; January 02, 2014 at 07:22 AM.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

As shown in RS2, you can add the shieldwall to Alex.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Big news here. I've managed to get custom battles to work finally, using the information below I got off The Guild website. I will attempt over the coming weeks to create a proper SAI-Alex version which will still have the 3 current campaigns but am thinking of adding a fourth (376AD) involving an old foe.

This was posted by Bardo on The Guild's website on 31st August 2009 can you believe it.

having got BI based campaign (and campaign battles) loading under Alex.exe.... any idea what stops custom battles based on same map loading under Alex? have tried most permutations I can think of for either copying BI mod campaign map files and naming Alexander / imperial_campaign which didn't work, and also tried importing original Alexander base map / campaign files... anything I try is giving KTM without error message
    I have been making some tests to try to understand the correct folder structure so Custom and Historical Battles can work under Alexander TW:

The related files are placed at these folders:

3) and the file: \data\text\Battlefields_regions_and_settlement_nam es.txt

You need to copy a descr_strat.txt (DS) file into this folder for the Custom Battles (CB) to work. It seems you can copy any DS from any campaign. I have tested with the DS from our mod, the DS of vanilla Alex and also from vanilla RTW. It seems they all work.
    You do not need any other file into this folder.

You need to copy some files into this folder.The list used by the vanilla Alex and also our lotr-tw mod is:

descr_disasters.txt
    descr_regions.txt
    descr_terrain.txt
    map_climates.tga
    map_FE.tga
    map_features.tga
    map_ground_types.tga
    map_heights.tga
    map_regions.tga
    map_roughness.tga
    map_trade_routes.tga
    water_surface.tga

You do not need the .tgas once the map.rwm has been generated. But I suggest to keep them all.

3) \data\text\Battlefields_regions_and_settlement_nam es.txt
    Finally, the most recent discovery is that you need this file to fit with the region names of \data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt

My problem was that I though Battlefields_regions_and_settlement_names.txt should fit with
    \data\world\maps\campaign\Battlefields\descr

That is great news!! Do you consider also to reduce the starting stacks for some factions?

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

You can also do Custom and Campaign Naval Battles in Alex.exe, but it's a pain in the ass to re-work the campaign map to do it. You have to create land bridges, and you no longer get the option of transporting units by boat either. What comes out in the end is basically a swimming elephant that looks like a Liburnian. You have to create a custom skeleton for it too.

Remlap and HC did it for IBUR, and I can probably figure it out again, but I'd have to install Alex 1.9 and I can't do that. HC is inactive and Remlap is in College (and I think on Hex), and it's been 3-4 years so I doubt they remember anyways.

It's mostly a lot to do with the descr_model_battle file, and a few others.

Thinking of that, your Liburnians should have Triangular Sails and Spurs JH, not Rams and Square sails. Those (mostly) dropped out of use in the late 3rd century. By the 4th century Skeleton-First Construction, Lateen Sails, and Spurs are the new ship technology. The Byzantines capitalized on it by reinventing the Trireme and calling it a Dromon.

And if you're looking for a latin word for your "Transport Ships" the word "Hemioliae" was applied to Roman Ships of any kind hired and used for Military Transports. Originally there was actually a ship called a "Hemiolia" but it fell out of at some point (not sure when).
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; February 03, 2014 at 08:48 AM.

is the alex version ready?

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Not as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Not as yet.

Thanks for the answer, apart for the two new comitatenses and auxilia what other units will be added?

P.D: Are there any guides for the campaigns?, im having trouble managing the economic aspectof julianīs 355 campaign in the west.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast