Thread: making it big=sellout?

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Default making it big=sellout?

Im tired of people thinking that bands are seen on MTV or heard on the radio they are automatically considered "sellouts". You would think that if you were a fan of the band, you would want them to make it big. What do you think?
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

If a band that I like gets big then that's good but the problem is when they change their style to be more "popular".
    When they do that then they have become sellouts.
    Money shouldn't influence an artist when making music and I get happy when I hear a band that I have listened to when they were small and then get "big" and still play the same awesome music as before. That is the sign of a true artist.

Sellout isn't just MTV, it's when the band completely redefines themselves in order to please the public. In comparison to Metallica, we've Immortal, Cannibal Corpse and so on who scored major label deals without changing their sound 1 bit.
    Member of S.I.N."Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson
    Agnosticism, a personal relationship with common sense.
    “We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes” Gene Roddenberry quote
    Under the Patronage of Squeakus Maximus.