Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standalone Yari Ashigaru fight with their yari mod

Default Standalone Yari Ashigaru fight with their yari mod

The database actually can switch the weapons and animation around.
    There seems to be some people wish that Yari Ashigaru fight with their yari instead of katana, and at the same time keep the stats of Yari Ashigaru as it is in vanilla.

This mod changes the animation of Yari Ashigaru so they fight with yari, while keeping their stats untouched and stay the same as vanilla.
    This mod will conflict with any mod that changes Yari Ashigaru's stats in db.
    So it won't work with Shogun 2 Realism, Trom3, DarthMod etc.

This mod have 2 versions, both changed Yari Ashigaru to fight with yari, only difference is the type of yari they use. Choose ONE only.

Original Long (jyumonji) Yari

Short Yari (the one yari samurai used)

Installation:
    Extract.
    Select one of the pack and put it in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\data
    No script needed.

Tested in custom, but should work in campaign.
    Last edited by Wind; April 19, 2011 at 08:06 PM.

Default Re: Standalone Yari Ashigaru fight with their yari mod

awww i hate you i was about to release my yari fix lol

Quote Originally Posted by forcerecon569 View Post
    awww i hate you i was about to release my yari fix lol
    Did we change the exact same thing (ie: database)? If not you still can release yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind View Post
    Did we change the exact same thing (ie: database)? If not you still can release yours.
    yah same thing but i changed some stuff like yari cav some have different yari and so forth i am including it in the mod i am making shhh it secret shhh

In case anybody want to know how to do it.
    Here's a friendly tutorial.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=445471

Last edited by aion2006; April 21, 2011 at 01:36 AM.

my question is, why did CA decide to not have them use their spears in close combat since they do have the loan sword ashigaru available. Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralOda View Post
    my question is, why did CA decide to not have them use their spears in close combat since they do have the loan sword ashigaru available. Just curious...
    those long yari look strange in close combat. You would't want to hold 3-4m pike, when some angry bloke with sharp sword has already passed it's pointy end.
    After initial clash, when formation was broken, those pikes were useless. Yari Samurai were fighting individually(and with shorter spears), while Yari Ashigaru as a group, similarily to european pikemen.

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    those long yari look strange in close combat. You would't want to hold 3-4m pike, when some angry bloke with sharp sword has already passed it's pointy end.
    After initial clash, when formation was broken, those pikes were useless. Yari Samurai were fighting individually(and with shorter spears), while Yari Ashigaru as a group, similarily to european pikemen.
    So which version of yari is now historically accurate and which one is gameplay wise better.

Now additional i wanted to say that the one thing which is disturbing me is that once there is close combat the Yari Ashigaru has its Yari on the back like a backpack and it looks so not right.

Now question would there be a possibility to have a mod where they use the Yari and once they get into close combat , the Yari Ashigaru would drop their Yari and draw their katana. Now the Yari ashigaru would become a Loan sword Ashigaru and vulnerable to cavalry attacks.
    If that could be modded like that it would open up new strategies for use of cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    So which version of yari is now historically accurate and which one is gameplay wise better.

Now additional i wanted to say that the one thing which is disturbing me is that once there is close combat the Yari Ashigaru has its Yari on the back like a backpack and it looks so not right.

Now question would there be a possibility to have a mod where they use the Yari and once they get into close combat , the Yari Ashigaru would drop their Yari and draw their katana. Now the Yari ashigaru would become a Loan sword Ashigaru and vulnerable to cavalry attacks.
    If that could be modded like that it would open up new strategies for use of cavalry.
    it would be impossible i think to make then drop a weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    Strangely I find vanilla Yari Ashigaru quite historically acurate, although you're right and it looks ackward when they place those pikes on their backs (maybe they have extra slot for them, just like that for sashimono? ).
    As none of those things affect actual gameplay, but only changes weapon models and animations, it's a matter of personal preferences (and what bothers you more when watching battle animations). I would go with vanilla setting, or ashigaru having short yari only (no sword), as it doesn't look that weird in close combat.

is it true that this is not compatible with darth mod? have someone tested it yet?
    I just want archers to be realistic. It's very annoying to see people who are immortal against arrows. Full Image

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldAniban View Post
    is it true that this is not compatible with darth mod? have someone tested it yet?
    It is NOT, for vanilla only

just seems strange to me that all of the ashigaru would have access to a Yari and katana. One of those weapons are expensive enough but the both of them for an Ashigaru? I'm so used to the sword being rare through my years of playing total war that seeing common soldier using them seems strange.

Wouldn't the shorter Yari make the spear wall less effective? or is the longer yari model really just for show compare to the shorter one?
    Last edited by Red Paladin; May 04, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Paladin View Post
    just seems strange to me that all of the ashigaru would have access to a Yari and katana. One of those weapons are expensive enough but the both of them for an Ashigaru? I'm so used to the sword being rare through my years of playing total war that seeing common soldier using them seems strange.

Wouldn't the shorter Yari make the spear wall less effective? or is the longer yari model really just for show compare to the shorter one?
    As far as I know, Ashigaru, being lowest rank of samurai, were forbidden to carry katana swords. They've had wakizashi instead.
    As for the yari models, there is no difference between them gmeplay wise, as long as no unit statistics are changed. Battle in game is resolved with numbers, and models and animations are just for show. They can fight with chickens or make wall of smelly fish instead of pikes, and result will be the same if numbers stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Paladin View Post
    just seems strange to me that all of the ashigaru would have access to a Yari and katana. One of those weapons are expensive enough but the both of them for an Ashigaru?
    Bow Ashigaru. They also keep a sword ready, why shouldnt yari ashigaru also?
    I agree with your point, but the logic is sound if you compare them

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    Strangely I find vanilla Yari Ashigaru quite historically acurate, although you're right and it looks ackward when they place those pikes on their backs (maybe they have extra slot for them, just like that for sashimono? ).
    As none of those things affect actual gameplay, but only changes weapon models and animations, it's a matter of personal preferences (and what bothers you more when watching battle animations). I would go with vanilla setting, or ashigaru having short yari only (no sword), as it doesn't look that weird in close combat.
    Vanilla Yari Ashigaru's pikes are actually too short, while the Yari Samurai's pikes should be the length of the Ashigaru's.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Baleurion View Post
    Bow Ashigaru. They also keep a sword ready, why shouldnt yari ashigaru also?
    I agree with your point, but the logic is sound if you compare them
    Not all katanas where fine weapons made by the best craft man... a lot where indeed cheaply and/crude, made to the masses of garys. The thing about garys having forbidden even touch them comes long afterwards, where the samurai got nothing to do but make up interesting social rules to keep the country under their control.

But meh.. my mod employ this thing, yari garys always fight with their yari.

Now if they where able to employ both of them, perahps while in spear wall formation they should only use yari, once you disable the formation every one's if for it self and are allowed to draw their katanas.. but I don't know if it is possible..
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Crunchy's Avatar Foederatus

Is this still compatible to the new patch?

Does this also affect the Oda Long yari?

No it doesn't affect long yari. And by the way, using the short yari animation makes yari ash do a weird drag step when they walk in spear wall. I'm not sure if it's slower, but it looks dumb. Dumber than the pike-backpack, so I just use vanilla.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast