Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional Spanish Units (non-DLC)

Icon12 Additional Spanish Units (non-DLC)

Hi all.

This unit pack attempts to be historically accurate despite my own limited modding experience. Accurate sources for Spanish regimental officers, drummers and history are difficult to obtain. For history buffs please excuse the inaccuracies as I've no doubt there will be. The emphasis was on consistencies with CA's design, and some liberty has been taken when sources aren't available.

Here's the revised download link
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/21209694/MOD_SPAIN.zip

Please refer to my tutorial below for activation / installation process
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=444660

Calatrava Dragoons
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hailed from the knightly order of Calatrava, these dragoons are well-trained and professional soldiers.

The Dragoons’ strength lies in their versatility: on horseback they can produce an impressive charge or they can ride to critical spots on a battlefield where firepower is needed. Once dismounted, they can engage in melee or use their muzzle-loading muskets to fire upon the enemy. This flexibility is also their greatest weakness: they are the slowest of all cavalry units and may have difficulty when facing heavier cavalry and elite infantry.

Calatrava Dragoons has its roots in the knightly Order of Calatrava, which was founded by St. Raymond de Fitero in the twelfth century and saw action during the Peninsular War. The regiment earned itself a reputation for bravery and stoic resolve at the Siege of Madrid where it covered the retreat of the main Spanish army commanded by the Duke of Albuquerque. Disbanded in 1805 with the reign of King Joseph Bonaparte, the Calatrava Dragoons was nevertheless re-established by the Bourbon Restoration of 1814 and the return of Ferdinand VII as King of Spain.

Carmona Lancers

Carmona Lancers are well trained and experienced professional horsemen, armed with lances and sabres.

The lance is probably the oldest cavalry weapon. It allows the user to put all his weight, and that of his charging horse, behind one very sharp point. In the hands of a skilled man that point can be driven right through a man. This makes lances intimidating to face but, if a lancer does not kill his target, he is vulnerable: a lance is less use than a sword in a melee, so the lancer is at a disadvantage. This is also true against well-trained infantry capable of forming square.

Founded in 1808 from a union between the Volunteer Cavalry and the Sevilla Regiment, Carmona Lancers are renowned for their ferocity and agility. With their extensive raiding experiences in the province of Seville, the Carmona Lancers are more skilful than most to French tactical influence. These men wear Spanish style uniforms, but adopt a more aggressive French style of attack. They also have swords to deal with enemies who come too close.

Espanoles Hussars

Well equipped and armed with sabres, these fine horsemen crush and ride down their opponents.

These superb horsemen can be used as a screen for the main army, or for strategic scouting to locate the enemy. Hussar speed makes them ideal for targeting skirmishers and artillery: enemies have little chance to escape if hussars are sent against them. Hussars are armed with curved sabres, and can acquit themselves well in melee or during a charge, although they do not fare well against disciplined infantry or heavy cavalry.

Wealthy Spanish cities have many men capable of equipping themselves as irregulars or cazadores, and turning out as militia in time of need. As the wealthy few are expected to provide their own horses and uniforms, Españoles Hussars are one such unit. Well equipped, they might be mistaken for regular troops, but while effective against other militias, no part-time soldier can match the skill of men professionally drilled from barracks.

Extremadura Fusilier Regiment

Fiercely proud, Extremadura Fusilier Regiment is raised from the sons of the upper classes and have a disciplined charge.

These men make excellent infantry soldiers, marching into battle with their bayonets drawn. Their only weakness is when facing well-disciplined elite infantry or a well-timed cavalry charge; this combination is one that proves deadly to unprepared enemy foot soldiers. Extremadura Fusilier Regiment sacrifices power for rate of fire, and are not expected engage in prolonged melee. They are auxiliary force, sizeable enough to pose a threat on the sideline, used to whittle down the enemy for a final charge to drive them from the battlefield.

Historically, Extremadura Fusilier Regiment was created from among the middle and upper class volunteers. They were intended for the defence of Extremadura, a strategic province east of Madrid. As nobles and bourgeois, these men were decked out in the liveries of royal Bourbons, and were expected to provide their own weapons and equipment. Proud, resolute and disciplined, Extremadura Fusilier Regiment fought with distinction at the Battle of Bailen, forcing the French to surrender nearly 1,500 prisoners.

Gerona Fusilier Battalion

Resolute defenders, Gerona Fusilier Battalion is skilled with muskets and with bayonets in close combat.

These men are urban recruits from the city of Gerona, northern Catalonia. As line infantry they are a relatively versatile force for their general, and can be relied on to stand and fire, or give a good account of themselves in close combat. They are, of course, vulnerable to artillery fire, and can suffer if left exposed to skirmishers. Against cavalry, they can quickly form square, and then withstand an attack.

Historically, Gerona Fusilier Battalion began as a militia force intended for the defence of north-eastern Spain. Because these men garrisoned the strategic province of Catalonia, they fought with grim determination during the First and Second Siege of Gerona against repeated French assaults. Fearing Napoleon’s invasion of Valencia and the Spanish heartland, men of the best calibre were the first choice of recruits. As a result the regiment became a collection of courageous and superb warriors.

Getares Musketeers

Adept at massed volleys, the men of Getares Musketeers are disciplined and capable soldiers.

“Marching regiments” or “line battalions” make up the majority of units in most armies. They are so called because they form the line of battle, not because they always deploy in a line. In fact, when faced with a cavalry charge, it is wise to form square for protection. Their strength comes from their close formation which gives them firepower and strength in melee, but this also leaves them vulnerable to artillery and skirmishers.

Historically, Getares Musketeers was a militia force raised from among the Tarifa volunteers and unlike many Spanish units they were intended for the defence of the northern coastlines against North African pirates. Skilled in the use of the flintlock musket, these troops issue a challenge to all enemies of Spain at range. Also equipped with a sword and bayonet, the Getares Musketeers can withstand more hand combat than many other line infantry.

Granada Dragoons

Fast moving and good in melee, these cavalrymen can pursue fleeing enemies and keep them from regrouping.

The Dragoons’ strength lies in their versatility: on horseback they can produce an impressive charge or they can ride to critical spots on a battlefield where firepower is needed. Once dismounted, they can engage in melee or use their muzzle-loading muskets to fire upon the enemy. This flexibility is also their greatest weakness: they are the slowest of all cavalry units and may have difficulty when facing heavier cavalry and elite infantry.

Based in the city of Granada, these dragoons were charged with the defence of Cordoba and Murcia provinces to drive the French from southern Spain. Granada Dragoons saw action in seven battles during the Napoleonic War and were awarded five battle honours for their achievements. Two of these were given for their heroic exploits at the battle of Ocaña and Almonacid. Well trained, armed with sabres and with good morale, Granada Dragoons are more than a match for most on the battlefield.

Guadalaxara Grenadiers

Guadalaxara Grenadiers are large, strong men, armed with muskets, fervour and a terrifying reputation.

Hailing from the province of Guadalaxara and indoctrinated by the church from a young age, these deadly volunteers have now turned their love of God and King to killing men. Wielding muskets, bayonets, swords and explosive grenades, these grenadiers can blow apart a man at twenty paces. This, coupled with their ability to withstand morale shocks, means they can inflict terrible casualties.

Historically, Guadalaxara Grenadiers began as the elite force to the Duke of Alburquerque. They fought under him in the defence of Cadiz and were subjected to horrific bombardment by some of the biggest mortars yet seen in the war. These men were at the forefront of the attempted break out near Barossa, charging across the woodland to fall upon Marshal Victor’s flank, forcing the French to retreat.

Hibernia Infantry Regiment

Hibernia Infantry Regiment is renowned for their marksmanship and fearsome charge rather than strength.

These men make excellent infantry soldiers, marching into battle with their bayonets drawn. Their only weakness is when facing well-disciplined elite infantry or a well-timed cavalry charge; this combination is one that proves deadly to unprepared enemy foot soldiers. Hibernia Infantry Regiment sacrifices power for rate of fire, and are not expected engage in prolonged melee. They are auxiliary force, sizeable enough to pose a threat on the sideline, used to whittle down the enemy for a final charge to drive them from the battlefield.

Historically, Hibernia Infantry Regiment saw action in seven battles during the Napoleonic War and were awarded four battle honours for their achievements. Three of these were given for victories over the French at the battle of Vich, Tortosa and Graus. The men of this regiment are drawn mainly from the province of Santander. Disciplined and highly trained, these soldiers are experienced line infantry, with a proud tradition dating back to 1509. Armed with muskets, bayonets and a strong determination, Hibernia Infantry Regiment is adept at peppering enemies relentlessly with well-aimed shots, followed by a dangerous bayonet charge.

Olivenza Chasseurs

Highly trained and equipped with steel sabres, these powerful chasseurs are formidable fighting machines.

These superb horsemen can be used as a screen for the main army, or for strategic scouting to locate the enemy. Hussar speed makes them ideal for targeting skirmishers and artillery: enemies have little chance to escape if hussars are sent against them. Hussars are armed with curved sabres, and can acquit themselves well in melee or during a charge, although they do not fare well against disciplined infantry or heavy cavalry.

First raised by Colonel Francisco Espoz y Mina in 1800, the Olivenza Chasseurs were Spain’s answer to the threat of Napoleon’s Chasseurs a Cheval, and these men have earned a healthy reputation. As bitter enemy to the French, no quarter is asked or given when they encountered one another. These veteran troops are equipped with steel sabres and wear their distinctive and elaborate olive green uniform.

Saragossa Legion

Veterans of the Siege of Saragossa, these men are experienced force of musket-armed soldiers.

“Marching regiments” or “line battalions” make up the majority of units in most armies. They are so called because they form the line of battle, not because they always deploy in a line. In fact, when faced with a cavalry charge, it is wise to form square for protection. Their strength comes from their close formation which gives them firepower and strength in melee, but this also leaves them vulnerable to artillery and skirmishers.

Historically, Saragossa Legion comprised of hardened veterans and lucky survivors from the bloody Siege of Saragossa. Accustomed to the ravage of war, they are men with nothing to lose except their lives. It was usually their job to lead the first and often fatal charge used to break up enemy line formations. Saragossa Legion is well armed with muskets, bayonets and swords. These men are vicious assault troops who can chop a man into bloody pieces.

Menu

Cheers
    Last edited by Sacrebleu!; January 21, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Default Re: Additional Spanish Units (non-DLC)

Very nice work. I will change the name of mine so it includes DLC. Also, mine adds arty which is needed. These two packs should suffice. . .

Also, could you put the big picture in a spoiler so it keeps the screen size small?

Edit: Says file is unavailable at megauploads!
    Last edited by md1453; April 18, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Default Credit

Oops I've forgotten to mention credit and thanks to the following teachers whose works made this mod possible-

Swiss Halberdier
    Marshal Beale
    Aanker
    Erasmus777
    maxsim666
    T.C.
    Thoragoros
    husserlTW
    Thalion
    md1453
    Scorpionet - for his Hispania Mod. The Independence War (v2.0 - 31/8/10) (For those who owns Peninsula DLC)

Anyone can further modify this unit pack to his/her own taste ~

Very good job and very useful. Spain has a lack of units
    +rep

Great work on these. I have some feedback:

• The unit caps are perfect, since Spain has very weak units deliberately it is nice you didn't over do the powerful units.
    • The unit cards and info pics are excellent, that is often difficult to do or ignored.
    • The units themselves look great.
    • Personally I would rather have the recruitment close to CA's for the vanilla mod: Dragoons and Grenadiers recruitable at building 3 and higher, not 2 as in your mod. Keeps things interesting. . .

Overall it is very welcome and makes the Spanish campaign much more enjoyable. With my mod adding DLC units it is now very crowded in the Spanish recruitment pool. +rep of course!
    Last edited by md1453; April 20, 2011 at 08:56 PM.

A big Thanks for all the awesome feedbacks folks ~

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Are the names for this in the UPC

Very nice units! well done!

miguelmm's Avatar Civis

Excelent units!!! Thank you!!!

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Permission to add in my All In One mod please? all credits will be given to you
    Oh and your unit names do not show in game?
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; May 22, 2011 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Permission to add in my All In One mod please? all credits will be given to you
    Oh and your unit names do not show in game?

Hi ToonTotalWar

Yes, you are more than welcome to make full use of my units

Unit names and descriptions are within my_loc.pack file, which I've compressed along with the unit pack. I think they're all in the download link. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VVH4Y14O

my_loc.pack file from Additional Portuguese Units mod is the latest version, it includes both Portuguese and Spanish units names, whereas the one from Additional Spanish Units mod has only Spanish units names.

My mod's free, but thanks for asking permission ~
    Last edited by Sacrebleu!; May 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Great work, have some REP

LordKainES's Avatar Ducenarius

Your mod is perfect!!! well done!!! I´m gonna install it quickly

Will you update this pack with more units in the future?
    Last edited by LordKainES; June 03, 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    Great work, have some REP
    Hi airborne guy

Thanks for the support~

Quote Originally Posted by LordKainES View Post
    Your mod is perfect!!! well done!!! I´m gonna install it quickly

Will you update this pack with more units in the future?
    Hi LordKainES

Thanks and enjoy ~

As for the update, I'm not sure if I can keep modding by the end of this year. You know, real life commitments etc...

Guadalaxara is not a real city, it's call Guadalajara. Also, in spanish it should be Husáres españoles, no Españoles hussards

Verry verry verry good job thank !

Quote Originally Posted by pirro View Post
    Guadalaxara is not a real city, it's call Guadalajara. Also, in spanish it should be Husáres españoles, no Españoles hussards
    Hi Pirro

Yes that's correct, Guadalaxara is a province. That's where the Guadalaxara Grenadiers were recruited from, as noted in the unit's description.

Quote Originally Posted by Belakor View Post
    Verry verry verry good job thank !
    Hi Belakor

Thanks for the support! Glad you enjoyed it~

Icon14 Re: Additional Spanish Units (non-DLC)

I must admit that these units are truly exceptional, I DOWNLOADED all your pack and they all over me one Strongly next (hopefully)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast