Page 27 of 305 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536375277127 ... LastLast

Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Default Re: Winter is Here! Discuss HBO's "Game Of Thrones"[SPOILER HEAVY!]

Ian McNiece as Wyman Manderly would please me to no end.
    Good call!

While she isn't an ugly women she is certainly not beautiful and definitely not as attractive as Cersei is supposed to be. One of the worse casting choices in the show imo.
    I think she is pretty good as Cersei. For someone who has three kids its hard to imagine her looking better.

I loved the face she pulled in response to the behaviour of Robert at the tournament. Right before she went to see Ned Stark asking why he wasn't at the tournament.
    That was a classic for me.
    Last edited by Sardaukar One; October 07, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

ok just thought who'd be the best Roose ever period.... Ralph Fiennes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sardaukar One View Post
    Good call!

I think she is pretty good as Cersei. For someone who has three kids its hard to imagine her looking better.

I loved the face she pulled in response to the behaviour of Robert at the tournament. Right before she went to see Ned Stark asking why he wasn't at the tournament.
    That was a classic for me.
    I think she captures Cersie's character admirably enough but she is just not how I pictured Cersei Lannstee at all honestly I feel the same way about Mark Addy as Robert. He plays the role quite well but he does not meet the description of Robert Baratheon from the novels at all. I know Robert is supposed to have changed for the worse over the years but I find it hard to believe that 5'10 Mark Addy was ever the massive, powerful, almost unstoppable warrior that Robert was supposed to be in his youth. Just me nitpicking really

Have just finished the book, haven't watched the show already. Lots of people praising it, so can't wait for it!

But, this.

Hey, by the way, is it my impression, or the tv show seems to be pretty low-budget?
    Last edited by beckyolt; October 08, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

I think she captures Cersie's character admirably enough but she is just not how I pictured Cersei Lannstee at all honestly I feel the same way about Mark Addy as Robert. He plays the role quite well but he does not meet the description of Robert Baratheon from the novels at all. I know Robert is supposed to have changed for the worse over the years but I find it hard to believe that 5'10 Mark Addy was ever the massive, powerful, almost unstoppable warrior that Robert was supposed to be in his youth. Just me nitpicking really
    I agree about Robert. He was supposed to be much bigger. But if everything was spot on, Dany would be 13 years old, Robb Stark 14 or 15 etc. Even HBO would baulk at doing sex scenes with a 13 year old girl and having armies led by Harry Potter.

Unfortunately some of this had to be changed. And in some cases I have to say its for the better.

Hey, by the way, is it my impression, or the tv show seems to be pretty low-budget?
    My guess is that the show is probably the most expensive show HBO has ever undertaken.
    HBO did a show some years ago called Carnivale. They cancelled it after two seasons because it was too expensive. Someone at HBO said that if Carnivale had come in at around $2-3 million per episode to make, they would have kept the show. Thats close to $40 million per season. Rome must have cost much more to make, and the sets for Game of Thrones are very much on par with Rome. Considering all the places yet to be seen in GoT e.g. Quarth, Mereen, Casterly Rock, Sunspear, Riverun etc, GoT could easily outstrip the cost of Rome. Not to mention costumes for the different kingdoms, plus a much larger cast.

HBO is spending as much or more money on a season as a lot of Hollywood films.

HBO has clearly skipped on some of the battles, and a concern for season two with some fans was the battle of BlackWater. HBO is supposedly going to make an effort to do this battle as well as they can.

We will see.

I don't know how anyone can call Game of Thrones low-budget for TV!!!

It cost approximately $60 million as I recall, whereas Rome cost $85 million. However in terms of how much money HBO makes back per episode, I doubt they've had a more successful show than GoT - willing to be corrected here but I imagine it's the first proper "franchise" they've created, where they're getting money not just from usual revenue but also merchandise, video game licenses and the inevitable colossal DVD success.

I don't know how anyone can call Game of Thrones low-budget for TV!!!
    I agree!

It cost approximately $60 million as I recall, whereas Rome cost $85 million. However in terms of how much money HBO makes back per episode, I doubt they've had a more successful show than GoT - willing to be corrected here but I imagine it's the first proper "franchise" they've created, where they're getting money not just from usual revenue but also merchandise, video game licenses and the inevitable colossal DVD success.
    I don't know how much GoT cost to make, but I knew it had to be north of $50 million.
    I thought it would be closer to $100 million actually. I am suprised its not more. I expect it will be more when they introduce new castles and kingdoms etc.
    I know that Rome endured a lot more costs because the set burnt down and they had to rebuild it.
    Rome was supposed to last five seasons, and HBO decided to cut it short halfway through the filming of the second season. Season one was exactly as the makers intened, season two was supposed to end with Cassius and Brutus being defeated at Philipi, season three and four was to deal with Anthony vs Octavian and season five with Jerusalem and Jesus etc.
    Rome was a very popular show, and I was suprised they cancelled it.

I did read somewhere that an exec at HBO said that as long as GRRM is writing the books, they intend to make the show. Hopefully that will prompt GRRM to take less than six years in-between books.

HBO makes its money from subscriptions. So while they are not beholden to advertising and the ratings that go with it, they still have to make sure they put a show out there people will watch.
    I suspect that this was why Carnivale got cancelled. I liked it, but it wasn't for everyone.

Oz was the first show that HBO did. They had some others. I would argue that the Sopranos, the Wire, Oz, Six feet under are more of a franchise than GoT because HBO put the content out first.
    GoT has been out for 15 years or so.

HBO will absolutely make money from the DVDs, but GRRM might not have sold them the video game rights.
    I would have thought GRRM will still keep the intellectual rights i.e. whats canon etc.

The Sopranos is the only show of HBO's that they made a video game from, and apparently it wasn't very good.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with "The Walking Dead", but it was pitched to HBO before AMC picked it up. Its a really good Apocalyptic Zombie type theme comic book. I think HBO made a mistake not picking it up, but I suspect it could be to do with the cost of the shows they already have.
    GoT is expensive and True Blood has to cost a bit too. Not to mention Broadwalk Empire.

RE: video game licenses, I know that the upcoming Game of Thrones RPG (not the RTS that just came out) recently started redoing their graphics and what-not to include designs made for the HBO series as they managed to negotiate a license to use show-exclusive assets (so specific designs for House sigils, etc) because they figured it would sell more if it was more closely associated with the show. Not sure what the split would be then between GRRM and HBO for that, but they're still going to make some money off the game.

No idea if the game is going to be any good (the RTS hasn't had a great reception and it's the same company making both) but anything that encourages HBO to keep making more GoT seasons is good in my book!

RE: video game licenses, I know that the upcoming Game of Thrones RPG (not the RTS that just came out) recently started redoing their graphics and what-not to include designs made for the HBO series as they managed to negotiate a license to use show-exclusive assets (so specific designs for House sigils, etc) because they figured it would sell more if it was more closely associated with the show. Not sure what the split would be then between GRRM and HBO for that, but they're still going to make some money off the game.
    Thats probaly because its a good deal all around. HBO has already done some of the work for the designs, so why not use that work if you are the game designer.

I would add that HBO's designs etc are based off GRRM's books and descriptions, which in turn are based off a lot of medieval depictions, armour etc. HBO hasn't done anything very unique in this regard.
    Still, it makes sense that they all work it out together.

No idea if the game is going to be any good (the RTS hasn't had a great reception and it's the same company making both) but anything that encourages HBO to keep making more GoT seasons is good in my book!
    My guess is that they will use some of the GoT pictures already out there. You would think that they would have to wait to introduce all the Kingdoms before being able to make a complete game.

The Night Is Dark and Full of Terrors...

I'd be dissapointed if they call it Game of Thrones season 2 tbh
    It's not like everyone wants that damn throne.

Timur Amir's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Enshou View Post
    I'd be dissapointed if they call it Game of Thrones season 2 tbh
    It's not like everyone wants that damn throne.
    Well, it still is a game of thrones, just as much as the first book. However, changing the name would be confusing for viewers (changing the name every season does that), so I agree with HBOs approach here.

My guess is that the show is probably the most expensive show HBO has ever undertaken.
    HBO did a show some years ago called Carnivale. They cancelled it after two seasons because it was too expensive. Someone at HBO said that if Carnivale had come in at around $2-3 million per episode to make, they would have kept the show. Thats close to $40 million per season. Rome must have cost much more to make, and the sets for Game of Thrones are very much on par with Rome. Considering all the places yet to be seen in GoT e.g. Quarth, Mereen, Casterly Rock, Sunspear, Riverun etc, GoT could easily outstrip the cost of Rome. Not to mention costumes for the different kingdoms, plus a much larger cast.
    That's good news ! And I just watched the first episode, the scenarios, costumes, etc all were awesome. Got a bad first impression from screens but after watching the show I saw everything it's very well done. Beside, the show itself was pretty good. Will follow the series now.

But, geez, Emilia Clarke is ugly as hell. Good actor though.
    Last edited by beckyolt; October 09, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    But, geez, Emilia Clarke is ugly as hell.
    Last edited by lebeast; October 09, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

That's good news ! And I just watched the first episode, the scenarios, costumes, etc all were awesome. Got a bad first impression from screens but after watching the show I saw everything it's very well done. Beside, the show itself was pretty good. Will follow the series now.
    I think the costumes so far are excellent. I can't wait to see the Martells and Tyrells.

I expect the Tullys will be much like the Starks.

Hopefully they will do a battle similar to the one they did in Rome for Philippi. Blackwater one would think!

Quote Originally Posted by Sardaukar One View Post
    I expect the Tullys will be much like the Starks.
    I don't think the Tullys (and Riverrun) will appear at all. Well not in the second season atleast.

^ Agreed, Season 2 seems to have its hands full introducing the Dragonstone gang, the Ironborn, the wildlings and whoever Dany meets at this stage. I think the Tullys are being kept back and will be the "new faces on the scene" along with the Martells when we get to Season 3.

Ygritte :3

One of the problems with Rome being so expensive was that they never used a costume twice. Ever. That certainly eats up a lot of their budget, hopefully the GoT team isn't as fanatical. I didn't really like the Lannister guardsmen (particularly the helmets) but the show overall was amazing. I watched the first two episodes on the advice of my cousin, and couldn't wait for the third so I went out and bought the books. Probably one of the greatest decisions ever.

Also, Ralph Fiennes would be brilliant.

I think the costumes so far are excellent. I can't wait to see the Martells and Tyrells.
    Indeed. Loved the Stark soldiers and Winterfell.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beckyolt
    But, geez, Emilia Clarke is ugly as hell.

lmao yea she is. Average at best face, a bit fat, ugly b**bs. Daenerys should have had a more attractive actress. But Clarke is very good.
    Last edited by beckyolt; October 13, 2011 at 07:03 AM.