Page 18 of 305 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627284368118 ... LastLast

Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

History_Buff's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Winter is Here! Discuss HBO's "Game Of Thrones"[SPOILER HEAVY!]

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    - THEY ARE MERGING CLASH WITH STORM !!!!!!!
    This is the first I have heard of this. Where did you get your information from. I do not know how they think they are going to do that, as so much happens in Storm that I don't even know if 10 episodes would do it justice. They would have to rapidly expand the number of shows to have a chance at making it good. I might be able to see it somewhat though, as most of Clash of Kings is just build up IIRC. As for making up Lannisters, they might have a good reason to do it or he might die quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    Hey guys, someone reped me and hasn't left a name yet, who was it?
    That would have been me, spreading the love I often forget to write something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by History_Buff View Post
    This is the first I have heard of this. Where did you get your information from. I do not know how they think they are going to do that, as so much happens in Storm that I don't even know if 10 episodes would do it justice. They would have to rapidly expand the number of shows to have a chance at making it good. I might be able to see it somewhat though, as most of Clash of Kings is just build up IIRC. As for making up Lannisters, they might have a good reason to do it or he might die quickly.
    They're just merging a couple of character threads is all, nothing to go crazy about:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Jaime's flight from Riverrun will begin this season rather than next. This is because if you recall he has next to no "screen time" in CoK.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    They're just merging a couple of character threads is all, nothing to go crazy about:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Jaime's flight from Riverrun will begin this season rather than next. This is because if you recall he has next to no "screen time" in CoK.

I say its a great deal. As well as the new characters. I mean... What are they thinking? Jaime arriving to Kings Landing during the battle of Blackwater? Or after? Before?!

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

I think he's just "on his way" is all. He won't (touch wood) be anywhere near the battle I hope.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Amazing serial !

The Kingslayers "Journey" has to start near the end of the series or the timeline will be so messed up. Still i'm looking forward to seeing Joffrey have crap thrown at him and Cersei being called a you know what.

Quote Originally Posted by History_Buff View Post
    There is an interview with Nikolai Coster Waldau saying that Jaime will appear in the second season and he also says that also other stuff will be implemented. I just hope they are not thinking to end the second season with the Red Wedding...
    Last edited by khatmar; August 05, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

There is an interview with Nikolai Coster Waldau saying that Jaime will appear in the second season and he also says that also other stuff will be implemented. I just hope they are not thinking to end the second season with the Red Wedding...
    that is not going to happen. The red wedding happens near the end of book 3.

People should relax, they did a fantastic job with the first season, I'm sure they will do a just as good or even better job with this season. Have some fate in HBO, they earned it

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    that is not going to happen. The red wedding happens near the end of book 3.

People should relax, they did a fantastic job with the first season, I'm sure they will do a just as good or even better job with this season. Have some fate in HBO, they earned it
    Fine but if they mess up I will go to HBO headquarters and scream rape.

i just hope the Stannis that they cast looks good in his outfit and is well groomed to like Stannis! Also the Melisandre they cast was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Goldenhand View Post
    Fine but if they mess up I will go to HBO headquarters and scream rape.
    I don't think that they mess it up, but if they do we'll meet at HBO.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

Um... I kinda disagree with almost everything you say in that post ! see the blue bits for my responses.

on a sidenote, I think the second season is going to be such a rape! I mean, look at it this way, their budget goes up, so they want to please the "non book """readers""" " with special effects and stuff that people love nowadays (I mean, look at avatar, they proclaim it the best scifi of all time, but all I saw was some nice scenery, very bad acting, shiny robots and flowery blueish bipedals).

i genuinely think that they need a bigger budget film aspects of the second season. i mean theyre either going to need a very good and large stage for the battle of blackwater or it wont look great. ditto for the battles between the northmen and the lannisters (if we see them that is)

Here, let me state my reasons

here let me state mine!

- they are making up Lannisters

well possibly. the rumours are that the new lannister will take the part of cleos frey whos half lannister and on the lannister side. calling him lannister probably wont make much difference to him if thats the case. the other reason i suppose they may have called him alton is that he may well have aspects of other lannisters like eg tyrek or steffon and he's a merge of characters then why not give him a differnt name

- they are changing names for no real reason
    i think is mainly to try and reduce confusion as much as possible for people who are new to the series having two wild fighting women in the north who both invaded the north and names are almost identical may be confusing. lets be honest one of the reasons theres a glossary in the books is so we can remember who everyone is! "which damn lannister is this one again?" riffles through the pages to the back of the book searches through the House information "ah that one!" you can't really do that in tv!

- THEY ARE MERGING CLASH WITH STORM !!!!!!!
    well there are several reasons this doesnt worry me. 1. maybe they are planning ahead and trying to reduce the size of ASOS (season 3) i know that HBO dont have set series sizes but i think theyll still want to have series of similar lengths than having a season of 10 episodes followed bya season of 12 episodes followed bya season of 20 episodes. 2. maybe george asked them to - we know he moved several chapters from ADWD into TWOW likely due to size issues maybe he thinks the story would work better with bits of ASOS in ACOK. 3. if worst comes to worst and the HBO series gets cancelled after two seasons at least youll have seen some of ASOS! 4. they did this with LOTR where they moved bits of the two towers into return of the king. did that really upset anyone that much? we still got to see it!

- they want to add Sean Bean in flashbacks (I mean, what the?? This may actually be ok, if they make some scenes with Mark Addy from the War of the Usurper, but still...)
    i agree with you disagreeing with yourself! having some flashbacks would be cool. you could have the tower of joy (not sure how) or having catelyns first meeting with john snow.

in general, GRRM NEEDS TO WAKE THE UP AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!
    TBH id rather he woke up and started writing TWOW again.
    So sorry about the rather negative post but ive tried to explain my point of view hope it doesnt come out too troll-like. Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    - they are changing names for no real reason
    i think is mainly to try and reduce confusion as much as possible for people who are new to the series having two wild fighting women in the north who both invaded the north and names are almost identical may be confusing. lets be honest one of the reasons theres a glossary in the books is so we can remember who everyone is! "which damn lannister is this one again?" riffles through the pages to the back of the book searches through the House information "ah that one!" you can't really do that in tv!
    This is nonsense. I mean no offense to you, i'm just infuriated at the fact that TV companies take us for slobbering lackwits. I mean how hard is it to remember two slightly similar names? I'll give you that you can forget about the occasional Frey, but Osha and Asha are major characters with very different backgrounds, looks and storylines.
    How hard is it to, at the very least, differ between the "Wildling in Winterfell" = Osha and the "Viking-Girl" = Asha, who never lays eyes on Winterfell before Osha is gone?

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgrim88 View Post
    This is nonsense. I mean no offense to you, i'm just infuriated at the fact that TV companies take us for slobbering lackwits. I mean how hard is it to remember two slightly similar names? I'll give you that you can forget about the occasional Frey, but Osha and Asha are major characters with very different backgrounds, looks and storylines.
    How hard is it to, at the very least, differ between the "Wildling in Winterfell" = Osha and the "Viking-Girl" = Asha, who never lays eyes on Winterfell before Osha is gone?
    Ok. It isn't nonsense. it is easy for people are really big fans of the series already - who have read the books (ie most of us). We are the only people who are gonna be that worried about 2 tertiary characters are changing their names. And technically they are not calling already established fans idiots theyre calling people who have no knowledge of the books already idiots.

And to come to your point about them both being major characters I wouldn't say Osha is a major character she is not a POV charcater, for the vast majority of her time in only 1 POV and shes only in 2 books out of 5. There are a lot of characters in ASOAIF - there are over 40 pages of character lists in ADWD! is it so unrealistic that if two people who are the same sex and both warrior women and both spend most of their book time in the same area and might be confusing - particularly if other people are talking about them. also the fact that osha is mainly in the first 2 books and asha is mostly in the last 3 as they never interact i don't think it's unrealistic.

Osha is already established so they have to change Ashas name - the only thing that has surprised me so far is that they havent made her name end in "-on" like the rest of her family.
    Last edited by Sandy; August 05, 2011 at 04:54 PM.

...and instead make it an anagram of Arya. I find that far more confusing, personally :p

As for "major" characters, i meant that as in the fact that both are somewhat relevant for the story as a whole, unlike random Frey #17. I don't see why two warrior woman would be so hard to tell apart when we're supposed to remember dozens of warrior men. Yoyen and Bowen, how similar does that sound? I wonder why they bother including the watch at all, given the fact that everyone wears black there. How on earth should we tell them apart? D:

It is nonsense, and as much as i have faith in the fact that hundreds of thousands could tell them apart in the books, I believe that the series would survive the original names as well. Insulting our intelligence does far more harm to it

"Tv is reading for retards..." who posted that? Because my approval rouses with each minute.

All Im afraid is that they are going to do a total freakout. They achieved something great with the first season (yes, we can all agree to that) and now, they want to expand and are making changes. Its just normal (for nowadays TV shows and their companies) BUT anyone seen the Evil Dead? Or the old Conan? Everytime, there was a nice first part (talking of evil dead, I mean the second and the third) followed by a bigger sequel which was an entire failure (ok, calling the first Conan nice may be a little of the track, but hey, you get my meaning). These are all my fears. If the first season would not have been so good, I would just wave my hand and curiosly wait for the second.

Thats it. My opinion, take it or leave it.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgrim88 View Post
    ...and instead make it an anagram of Arya. I find that far more confusing, personally :p

As for "major" characters, i meant that as in the fact that both are somewhat relevant for the story as a whole, unlike random Frey #17. I don't see why two warrior woman would be so hard to tell apart when we're supposed to remember dozens of warrior men. Yoyen and Bowen, how similar does that sound? I wonder why they bother including the watch at all, given the fact that everyone wears black there. How on earth should we tell them apart? D:

It is nonsense, and as much as i have faith in the fact that hundreds of thousands could tell them apart in the books, I believe that the series would survive the original names as well. Insulting our intelligence does far more harm to it
    Im not saying that yara is a particularly good name what i am saying is that they needed to change her name - that was what my post above was about. The other thing to consider about name similarity is that for most of the next series arya will not be called arya she will be "Arry the orphan boy" or "salty from saltpans" so the names will not be as similar as previously. I assume when you say yoyen do you mean yoren btw? Well there are at least twice as many different letters between the words Bowen and yoren as there are between Osha and Asha! (J/k)

I completely agree that hundreds of thousands could tell asha and osha apart however as millions of people watch the show there could still be some confusion for some people.

Are you seriously saying you can't see that the vast number of characters from the books could cause problems for some people particularly in a tv scenario where you cant rescan a page if youre confused?
    Last edited by Sandy; August 05, 2011 at 05:46 PM.

The only time I ever took a second look at a previous page was in SoS (seriously, I mean, people, martins books are always large and if you dont read every day youll be confused), when there was a Sam chapter after 500 pages (the previous one was north of the wall, when he was surrounded by those wights under the big tree) as I couldnt really recall what did he do last.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

The only time I ever took a second look at a previous page was in SoS (seriously, I mean, people, martins books are always large and if you dont read every day youll be confused), when there was a Sam chapter after 500 pages (the previous one was north of the wall, when he was surrounded by those wights under the big tree) as I couldnt really recall what did he do last.

thats a really good point you make tho - with books you read them every day (or at least me and you do!) whereas in the tv series excluding skyplus people will have to wait a week between each installemnt which means there'll be at least 2.5 months between the beginning of the series and the end of the series.