Page 13 of 305 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863113 ... LastLast

Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Default Re: Winter is Here! Discuss HBO's "Game Of Thrones"[SPOILER HEAVY!]

Quote Originally Posted by Cazac View Post
    I must admit, although i like the show a lot despite it being so tightly fitted in only 10 episodes, i was rather disappointed at the lack of some serious battle action. They simply skipped over the battle between bolton and tywin, the battle of starks and lannisters in the whispering wood. I understand it's a series budget but i seriously hoped it would not be done this way.

Either invest a little more and do it the proper way in season two with at least 15 if not 20 eps and hopefully with a bit more fighting with thousands of men.

I recently picked up the Borgias first season and in 3 episodes there was more fighting action than in the entire season of GOT, and they have a significantly lower budget.

I hope i won't be completely disappointed by season 2 when the real action develops. Don't get me wrong, i like the intrigue of it all, but for once i'd like to see a full scale battle take place, as much as TV buget will allow.

Just my two cents
    Agree that the lack of battles was disappointing, but it is important to remember that this first series was a bit of a test to see how much interest there was in the idea. They pretty swiftly moved to confirm a second series, but only once the first viewing figures came in (which were high, most viewed program on Sky Atlantic etc etc) so expect the second series to receive a boost budget wise and hopefully more battles as HBO don't have to worry about the risk that it wont attract viewers this time round.

Also agree with the above posts about Peter Dinklage, I also think some of the lesser characters like Jorah Mormont and even Drogo have been portrayed excellently and played more of a role than in the books.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx54321 View Post
    Agree that the lack of battles was disappointing, but it is important to remember that this first series was a bit of a test to see how much interest there was in the idea. They pretty swiftly moved to confirm a second series, but only once the first viewing figures came in (which were high, most viewed program on Sky Atlantic etc etc) so expect the second series to receive a boost budget wise and hopefully more battles as HBO don't have to worry about the risk that it wont attract viewers this time round.
    Personally i'd love to see the second series get a budget boost (mind you i could say the same about the world economy) as it will be needed for the scenes at the battle of blackwater etc. however the fact that
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    the biggest name in the show (sean bean) will not be in the second season
    could mean fewer people are inclined to watch and could result in lower viewing figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Personally i'd love to see the second series get a budget boost (mind you i could say the same about the world economy) as it will be needed for the scenes at the battle of blackwater etc. however the fact that
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    the biggest name in the show (sean bean) will not be in the second season
    could mean fewer people are inclined to watch and could result in lower viewing figures.
    That's true but hopefully they are casting another bigname for Stannis or someone in the second series. They will surely want to and see the need for keeping up the momentum generated by this series and another well known actor helps with that.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

That's true but hopefully they are casting another bigname for Stannis or someone in the second series. They will surely want to and see the need for keeping up the momentum generated by this series and another well known actor helps with that.

thers picture of stannis somewhere where he looks really like a young sean connery (who i know is way too old to be stannis and has given up acting) but still how awesome would that be!
    006 is Lord stark and 007 is stannis!

edit. its not this one but it'll do.
    also a useful page for stannis speculation!

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/02/...n-two-stannis/
    Last edited by Sandy; June 17, 2011 at 01:33 PM.

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Also agree with the above posts about Peter Dinklage, I also think some of the lesser characters like Jorah Mormont and even Drogo have been portrayed excellently and played more of a role than in the books.
    Granted, all the of the big name actors have done a marvelous job interpreting, Tyrion (Dinklage), Tywin (Dance as scarce as he appeared, has all the commanding authority and fear inspired as he does in the books), Stark (Bean) and Cersei (Heady) and Shea, i thought she was amazing, despite the rather brief encounter. However, some of the new commers are less of what i expected in acting skills, and even some of the "lasting" cast, which makes me a little nervy. Daenerys, Sansa, Renly... could have been better picked. Maybe they'll learn quick but i doubt it, and some of these characters, especially Danny really need a great actor behind the role to push it to its bookly limits.

And i did hear they were making some extra funds available for the blackwater battle, which will be ep. 8 or 9 in season 2 if i'm not mistaken, to truly make it the grandious

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

think Marc Strong is the best choice
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Definately

problem with all "franchise"-based "official-products" like movies and video games is that they have to pay copyright to the owner then (if movie-tv) pay actors (and we did see some good-performances in this series) etc..which doesn't really leave much $$$$ for production..

especially if it's a tv series...and even worse if its a vid-game..ever wondered why ALL franchise-based games sucked big time ???
    cause they had to invest most of their budget on exploit-rights than actual processing-developement..

personally i didn't really bother reagrding lack of battles- cgi direwolves and who knows what else.. as i've never read the books (in order to make comparisons about missing stuff..yet..i'm having them delivered monday )..

in anyway this series is good...and for all fantasy/epic/sword etc fans this one and spartacus are a real progress regarding the usual genre stuff...anyone remember "conan the adventurer" ? :/

ps
    tv-movies will never be at book level...no matter what..

I think Daenerys is awesome. Shes doing a perfect job. And Mark Strong should definitely be Stannis. Hes the best choice.

For a long time I've wanted Robert Carlyle or Henry Ian Cusick for Davos.

Alas, Carlyle has a new show this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazac View Post
    Granted, all the of the big name actors have done a marvelous job interpreting, Tyrion (Dinklage), Tywin (Dance as scarce as he appeared, has all the commanding authority and fear inspired as he does in the books), Stark (Bean) and Cersei (Heady) and Shea, i thought she was amazing, despite the rather brief encounter. However, some of the new commers are less of what i expected in acting skills, and even some of the "lasting" cast, which makes me a little nervy. Daenerys, Sansa, Renly... could have been better picked. Maybe they'll learn quick but i doubt it, and some of these characters, especially Danny really need a great actor behind the role to push it to its bookly limits.

And i did hear they were making some extra funds available for the blackwater battle, which will be ep. 8 or 9 in season 2 if i'm not mistaken, to truly make it the grandious
    As far as Emilia Clarke as Daenerys goes I can forgive the acting because she is fit.

Agree about Renly, in the book he is basically a younger version of Robert, he is supposed to be a big bloke, handsome, smiles all the time, gallant fool blah blah blah, they cast him as a raging mince scared of blood.

And Connery is one my favourite actors ever, I wish he still acted.

Mark Strong would be a ridiculously good Stannis though. In dreamland if we could choose any actor for any role what about Christpher Walken as Roose Bolton?

In dreamland if we could choose any actor for any role what about Christpher Walken as Roose Bolton?
    Very nice choice! He is around the same age, he has the always-so-clever look in his eyes and would totally fit it. My only issue with him would be either his height or weight. Ive always imagined Roose tall and slim, while Mr. Walken (pardon me if Im wrong) is neither of those two.

If i`m not mistaken roose ist neither tall nor small, and neither fat nor thin. The only thing special about him are his white eyes.

So, it was my imagination then. I must read the books once again, damm, cant remember a thing anymore.

The best thing is that George is actually writing the Battle of the Blackwater episode

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    You mean Umber drawing his sword and shouting "King in the North"? that didnt seem much of a coronation, more like the "peace talks" which were in the book and ended with Robb becoming the King. Still... it would be nice to see Robb with the Iron crown on his head in the first season.
    Yeah. Like I said, it seems at the very least he'll be declared kings. Will he still be King of the Riverlands although we haven't seen Edmure or any of the Riverland lords?

And yeah, I'm glad that GRRM is writing that episode. The one he wrote this season was great.

Mark Strong is a great choice to be Stannis. He now is one of my favorite actors. Looking forward to seeing him in Green Lantern. I now picture Stannis as he's depicted in the Mod and Strong is a perfect match.
    "I doubt you can understand the magnitude of the stupidity in your statement."

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

so hate to throw things for a loop here but IMDB has Gerard Butler cast as Stannis Barantheon..... anyone else shocked by this? and for Roose Bolton... only one man can fit this one... William dafoe!!!! haha

WHAT??? Gerard Butler?... wtf
    I cant imagine him bald. But still... If they rape the lore of ASOIF and make him like they did Renly (hes nothing like the Renly in the book), Gerard may actually do a nice job. (But his scottish accent just doesnt fit!)

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

i agree... he doesnt fit... come to think of it he would have made a good renly (other than accent) maybe even one of the northmen though i cant think of any thats young as he is... he may have made a good edmure tully though.. that charactar is kinda open in description... and accent wise how have they even followed that? cause to me it seems like they dont follow any pattern... what you think Khatmar?

Well, as far as the Northeners go, Beans sheffield accent suits him well. And I think that Richard Maddens (Robb) Scottish one is fit for Starks as well. And since the creators may have not followed any "accent pattern", the people who watch the series do (my friends who havent read the books). And since they associated these Britain-like accents with the Starks/North a new character with such accent would cause some confusion. But hell... they have to get a new replacement for Sean Bean, some famous name in order to attach more "glamour" to the show and Gerard is ok.

Yes, either Edmure or Blackfish. But I think hed be better Brynden, since he was a veteran and Edmure not.

Well... since Gerard is in the credits for the last episode as Stannis, this may have already happened and our speculations are good for nothing. We will see tonight, wont we ?